Scam!!! Kijiji???

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
I was surfing Kijiji this morning, under classic cars and I ran into this, http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=530072080.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have my car up for sale.
He does have a very accurate description of my car, aside from the mileage.

Maybe he's just using that picture to attract buyers??

I don't want to contact him myself via email, due to my IP address.

Can someone contact him and request more pictures, fender tag numbers, paint code etc...

Cheers,
Giles

Why in hell not?

I would immediately if not sooner send an email to the seller and if possible to the site owners/ administrator and in EXTREMELY clear terms demand that the offending material be removed, period, end.

Takes a deep breath......................

But BEFORE you do that, I'd be examining those photos CAREFULLY to be absolutely certain that "his" car might just happen to be exactly like yours!!!!!!

Is there something, a scratch, ? background? that identifies this as your car?

Since "we" don't have that sort of information, "we" can't make that conclusion

Hey Giles

That's your car all right! I'm on it!! I sent him an email with my phone number; let you know what the low life has to say!!

He hasn't responded to me yet. But it looks like he added this to the ad UPDATED AFTER MANY QUESTIONS

Car has original paint, EL5 Butterscotch

Hey Giles, the link shows your car but I cant get to the ad. Pm me the link and I will contact him if you need me to.

Are you 100% sure its yours? Not being a smartass here, but why do you think its yours??

Hey Giles, the link shows your car but I cant get to the ad. Pm me the link and I will contact him if you need me to.

Are you 100% sure its yours? Not being a smartass here, but why do you think its yours??
Steve,it looks like Giles car sitting in his driveway.When I get home later from work I,ll post a similar pic I took of Giles car in his driveway a few years ago.

that is the first pic you showed me of your car some years ago in chat
I was surfing Kijiji this morning, under classic cars and I ran into this, http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=530072080.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have my car up for sale.
He does have a very accurate description of my car, aside from the mileage.

Maybe he's just using that picture to attract buyers??

Can someone contact him and request more pictures, fender tag numbers, paint code etc...

Cheers,
Giles

Seriously..........WTF..........How could or why would someone post a pic of a car that's not theirs for sale to attract buyers when theres isn't similar nor the same condition?????????? This is puzzling to me. obviously when you go and see it for sale and its not as posted in the pics of the add its a given.........That's called A criminal offense...........:banghead:Frodulence///////

People will do anything. When we were selling my family home due to my Mom's death the new owners posted an ad on Kijiji to rent it out before closing with most of the furniture still in the house.

I have no idea why they would have a pic of your car there Giles. Like you say, just to attract buyers? Sucks when somebody does that though. Gives us all a bad name.

Jack

I was referring to the OP seemingly worried about his IP. The truth is that anyone can track you with a 'little bit' of free software.

200% Steve, the chrome gas cap, the chrome racing mirror, and the trees beside the driveway give it away. And it happens to be the picture in my profile.

Here's more pics, http://rides.moparmusclemagazine.com/ride/1005305/340butterduster/1971/plymouth/duster/

Cops just left, they contacted Gatineau Police fraud unit to investigate.

The add is getting a lot of hits, I've had a few people contact him, requesting more pics, fender tag codes etc...

He's updated his ad, but still doesn't state it's not the car pictured.

Cheers,
Giles

I was referring to the OP seemingly worried about his IP. The truth is that anyone can track you with a 'little bit' of free software.

The regional Police advised me not to contact him. Believe me, I really wanted to, it's very hard not to do.

I checked the ad out and saw how he states he "edited/updated" his ad. Sorry to see this, but glad that the Po-Po are all over it.

dang I didn't get to see the car ....it don't surprise that this happened ...I was cruising the internet not too long ago and I typed in 1968 dodge coronet in a google search and found pics of my wagon on a web site I had never even heard of ....and it was definitely my car with my backyard in the pics.

some people and their kids. :protest:

The add got deleted, 1/2hr after the police left. I don't know if the cops got Kijiji to remove it, or if this guy caught wind of this somehow and deleted the add himself.:-k

But he had more then 900 hits on his add, in less then 10 hrs.

In a way, I kinda feel better that the add is now deleted, but there's still a lot of unanswered questions.

Rani ; you can see the car here http://rides.moparmusclemagazine.com/ride/1005305/340butterduster/1971/plymouth/duster/

Cheers,
Giles

So, why do people do this? Are they hoping that a buyer will send them a big deposit to hold the car (several of them) and then they close up shop and move before getting caught?

Several years ago I corresponded with and drove about 200 miles to meet another FABO member in South Carolina to buy some parts. When I got into the town I discovered it was a non-existent street address that he had given me!
C

-
Back