Scarebird disc conversion

-
I'd love to get an answer to my frontrunner question. They might sell a couple of units.

anyone know if the the old SBP 14x6 Cragar S/S Rims will work with the scarebird setup?

no, we haven't flown the coop - been very busy lately and haven't patrolled that many websites... also why we haven't answered the phone much - burns up a lot of time! We do however answer email religiously (tech@scarebird.com).

Now, about a few of the questions earlier: We choose the Celebrity calipers because they are three things- cheap, compact, powerful. None of which apply to the Caravan calipers.

Whole package cost. We do not maintain a stock of claipers, rotors etc. ready to go. When we get an order for a complete setup, I fit it up and grind it to fit inside a rim that has a 120 degrees removed. This is not free, hence we charge for it, but when you get it it bolts right up and will clear the rim.

Well, I hear everyone saying they like the older kits they installed, I wish I could have got that kit instead of the redesigned kit. I guess I was one of the first to get it last yr(I was put on hold for 1 1/2 months for it) and by the time I got it to work I might as well had to design it myself. Not impressed, it stops better than 9 drums but I should of spent a little extra and got 73+ setup. I hope this helps anyone looking into a disk swap.

As stated, the new kit uses a better fitting rotor - it is not inferior in any way to the older setup and allows use of OEM rims. If you wish to go LBP, I would get a 73-76 unit and go from there...

Scarebird,I have been using your front disc brake set up on my 4500lbs chrysler for years and the ease of instalation and the fact of buying of off the self parts makes it the best system out there I have seen,with out going out and spending 2 grand on wilwood brakes system.His system is simple,easy,and very affordable,mrmopartech 514 659 0445

Mrmopartech - thank you for the kind words.

Our website has a shopping cart gizzy that if you hit buy now, will show a different page: look tot the left on that page for the CC icons.

nice to see you back here again scarebird
now how do I pay with a U.S.P.S. money order?

Interested in a front kit for a 72 Dart Swinger. Just exactly what come in these kits?

For $325 you get just the brackets and hubs.
Can probably pick up factory disc brakes a lot cheaper at the wreckers.
There is zero description for the rest of thier products.

I thought we should say hello and explain our setup. As Dakota Don had mentioned in another post, he used our setup with no ill effect. We have improved it this summer - by using a different rotor (10") and the 1990 Celebrity caliper we now can clear the stock dog dish rims. Sometimes the calipers require very light non-structural clearance grinding. The caliper now both (9 and 10") mount to the front for clearance and excellent hose routing.

We do reuse the stock drum hubs. We can offer custom front hubs for both 9 and 10 inch in 4.5" bolt pattern.
my only problem with Scarebird is that i have E-MAILED 3 times sent them my cell phone number for them to call and asked if they could send me there number so i could call them that was 3 times over the last 30 days but i get nothing back from them i want to chat with them and buy the kit for my 1940 plymouth coupe street JUST CAN'T SEE WHY THEY WON'T GET BACK TO ME ???????? cuhemida@aol.com please if anyone can help me with this get back to me

Tom

my only problem with Scarebird is that i have E-MAILED 3 times sent them my cell phone number for them to call and asked if they could send me there number so i could call them that was 3 times over the last 30 days but i get nothing back from them i want to chat with them and buy the kit for my 1940 plymouth coupe street JUST CAN'T SEE WHY THEY WON'T GET BACK TO ME ???????? cuhemida@aol.com please if anyone can help me with this get back to me

Tom

I can tell you one thing, an AOL-domained email probably got chucked in our spam filter...

email sent.

mark

anyone know if the the old SBP 14x6 Cragar S/S Rims will work with the scarebird setup?

I don't know about the SBP 14x6 but the LBP 14x6 do fit and clear the calipers fine. had them on mine for a test fit, then went to 14 LBP rally's

I can tell you one thing, an AOL-domained email probably got chucked in our spam filter...

email sent.

mark
Hi Mark did you send it already or are you going to send sorry i didn't get anything yet

Tom

For $325 you get just the brackets and hubs.
Can probably pick up factory disc brakes a lot cheaper at the wreckers.
There is zero description for the rest of thier products.

I wish it were so. I've been scouring the yards for just that thing trying to find some A,F,M,J setups. NADA ,jilch,zip and if I do find em they want upwards of a hundred fifty for used crap that I have to spend another couple hundred to rebuild or replace with reman (can't get all new anymore)stuff. it works out the same for me and I get new stuff that I don't have to worry about finding if I tear a rotor up. plus I have the option of going either way 5 on 4 or 5 on 4.5. It may be different in your area but down here it's slim pickins. and high price for junk.

Just what description do you need? they sell the kits(don't know about them) and adapter plates/with locator rings for the rotors, that lets you buy the stuff locally new OR reman. it comes with installation instructions with parts listings and seemed to be pretty easy for me.I had to grind the caliper bump off to get it to fit on one side. It was weird I could get the drivers side on perfectly but the passengers side needed to be ground on mine but neither of my friends needed to be ground to fit the plate so I could have taken the one needing a small grind back and got another one I decided to just grind the bump in the casting off.

I just finished changing out the master cylinder from my buddies 65 Satellite because he was complaining of an awful brake response on his scarebird conversion, seems his dual master cylinder died (leaking between seals) on him.swapped it out with new and it stops dead straight,true and even better than when we first changed it to the scarebird conversion, so it was probably going bad when we installed the conversion.
so far I've done 2 b body and 2 a body with no problems(don't know about the 2nd a body one yet since it's not driving yet)

I wish it were so. I've been scouring the yards for just that thing trying to find some A,F,M,J setups. NADA ,jilch,zip and if I do find em they want upwards of a hundred fifty for used crap that I have to spend another couple hundred to rebuild or replace with reman (can't get all new anymore)stuff. it works out the same for me and I get new stuff that I don't have to worry about finding if I tear a rotor up. plus I have the option of going either way 5 on 4 or 5 on 4.5. It may be different in your area but down here it's slim pickins. and high price for junk.

Just what description do you need? they sell the kits(don't know about them) and adapter plates/with locator rings for the rotors, that lets you buy the stuff locally new OR reman. it comes with installation instructions with parts listings and seemed to be pretty easy for me.I had to grind the caliper bump off to get it to fit on one side. It was weird I could get the drivers side on perfectly but the passengers side needed to be ground on mine but neither of my friends needed to be ground to fit the plate so I could have taken the one needing a small grind back and got another one I decided to just grind the bump in the casting off.

I just finished changing out the master cylinder from my buddies 65 Satellite because he was complaining of an awful brake response on his scarebird conversion, seems his dual master cylinder died (leaking between seals) on him.swapped it out with new and it stops dead straight,true and even better than when we first changed it to the scarebird conversion, so it was probably going bad when we installed the conversion.
so far I've done 2 b body and 2 a body with no problems(don't know about the 2nd a body one yet since it's not driving yet)

Thanks, you would be amazed how many times we get blamed for other bad components.

-
Back