Scored Green Brick W2 PICS added

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
I just got this W2 394-340 motor that was built by Ray Barton for the Green Brick valiant. I believe it was the original W2 in the car that was swapped out for something better. It was featured in mopar action 12/96. It was freshened by Barton 10 yrs ago and has been sitting ever since. It was shrink wrapped and so far looks great. I got it from a gentlemen who thought there was a problem with it because it sat so long. I took a chance, paid what he was asking and dragged it home. There's nothing wrong it. Spins beautifully with no rust inside motor. Its has .030 over JE pistons, MP rods, 3.79 mopar crank, 4 bolt ProGram caps added, bushed lifter bores, 255@50 .581 lift (I think), 1979 W2's with 2.08 intakes and a strip dominator. Compression is 9.5 to 1. Not sure what HP it made, anyone have the 12/96 Mopar Action article handy? I need to find some used W2 A body headers - anyone ?

Great score! Dont have the mag anymore but I remember it being a great article.

I think I might have it; it'll take time to find it; I remember the build and recollect (as well as foggy memory will allow) it put out in the neighborhood of 550-560 HP. Then during a "One Lap of America" event at Watkins Glenn International Race Track they put a 200HP shot of Nitrous from the exit of turn one to the chicane on the back straight, got clocked at 163mph!

WoW !!!! if this thing makes over 500 HP I really did score. Intake to pan, less than 2 bucks per HP !!! :cheers:

Sure it's the "Green Brick' motor? They went fuel injection later on..still have fuel rails on it?
.Just asking cause there was a 392 W2 engine in several articles in MA and HPM around that time.

Either way, GREAT SCORE!

Richard Ehrenburg surfs Q&A on moparts.com, he would be your best source for info.

Run a post over there and I bet he will give you the lowdown.

Under a grand, you DID score! Now start looking for that magnesium 8 3/4 pig they used....

I think the EFI is only on their later R-block engine.

Easy verification: check the serial number. As I recall, the Green Brick's first bullet was an actual 1969-cast 340 block.

Well, on page 67 it says and I quote:

"A tight schedule prevented us from getting any dyno time. We tuned by ear and they ran 12.8 @ 112 MPH @ Englishtown. No dyno numbers in this December 1996 issue. It does tell of the build though!

The article says the Valiant was origionally a 170 /6 car. It also says the block they first used for the build was a 1969 vintage Windsor block.

Its a 69 block. The guy I got it from is a friend of his. Think he said he went to high school with him. I will ad pics tomorrow.

i was just reading the article today at the shop. But i dont think it really had many specs on the output of the 340. The magazine should be still floating on the surface and i can drag it home tomorrow, if i remember

View attachment intake tape w2.jpg
That " 1 lap " says it all. I saw it a few days ago but it didn't click. Now Im 110% sure its what I was told. I have to free up an engine stand and pull the pan, timing cover, intake. There was something keeping motor from makin a full turn with a wrench on crank bolt. It would turn perfectly smooth like a fresh motor then stop dead, and the same in the opposite direction. After 3 or 4 times back and forth, it was gone. Think something fell in motor and made its way to the pan.

ok it was the April 2003 Mopar Action article that i found. It does not have too much detailed information. But here is the article for everyone. I hope everyone can zoom in to read it easier. Might haev to get out the other camera.

Rick lives near me. I believe i have his # if you need it. If i don't have it i can get it from a guy that hangs with him and does all the add on stuff with him nowadays for the mag.

Been working a lot of OT, will get into motor in the next few days. BTW I ordered the 12/96 Mopar Action mag and should have it by Tueday. I think engine I have was before the one in the acticle above.

I almost went to look at that. The heads alone are worth close to the asking price. Some nice parts in it.

I think it ran in the low 12s. It was more of a road race deal.

If you want to sell the crank, let me know.

-
Back