Scott's 68 Barracuda

-

cudaman68

Reaction score
This is a great site so I thought I would share my progress. First here is the background on my fish. My dad bought the car in 1968 new and drove it till around 1974 when the transmission gave out and parked in the barn. After a number of year he was going to sell the car and had a buyer I think he was going to sell her for $500 or so the guy put some money down and then never came back to get the car. Around that time I was around 14 and talked dad into giving it to me and I started cleaning it up and got a transmission and got it running and on the road in time to start driving it for my first car. That was around 1982 boy were those the days! It goes without saying the poor car was used and abused during my teen years. One of the last things I did to the cars was taking the auto out and put the 4 speed behind the 318. I never really finished the conversion I never installed the hump and put in a used clutch and pressure plate and it would shake like hell taking off (young and dumb). Well in the end I stored the car and it sat for another 20 years. Three years ago I started to work on her again I started with the bodywork mostly during the summer as I’m teacher and have plenty of time to mess things up. I’m terrible about taking picture as I work so all I have is the recent picture but will continue to keep up with the pictures. Last year I replaced both rear quarters and finished most of the rough bodywork. I had a buddy that was parting out a motor home that had a 1972 440 that I just had to have so that’s why I’m looking for all the upgrades for the car now (check my parts wanted post to see if you can help). Well enough with the BS here are some picture to look at.

Car as it sits now, I went out yesterday and bought $320 worth of etch prime and high build prime and other prep supplies. I want to get the paint on her this summer.

DSC05265-sm.jpg

DSC05270-sm.jpg

S7300154.jpg

Playing with the airbrush she needed a tattoo while it sat in the barn
S7300155.jpg

S7300158.jpg

S7300161.jpg

Here is the motor once I brought it home it had 40,000 miles on it and I heard it run before we pulled it out of the motor home
DSC05267-sm.jpg
Then after cleaning it up it took forever
S7300152.jpg

And now my work space
S7300162.jpg

Then it isn't a GT 40 replica, it's a GT 41

Slick Cuda, nice air brush work, and clean 56 too

I have been working at the cuda and I'm getting closer to paint now. The car will be black with toxic green true fire, I cleaned up my interior parts and painted them to look like sheet metal.
main.php

main.php

Take a look at at my gallery for the rest of the pictures
http://guppies2go.com/pictures/main.php?cmd=album
I have the rest of the car etch primed and have hit it with High build primer
main.php

main.php

I have more picture on my site of the body and parts. I should have it in paint by next week. I also got my motor mount for the 440 but still need to find a bell housing and a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 so if anyone close to ohio can hook me up let me know.

Welcome aboard Scott! Great to see another '68 FB owner so close!!! Love that air cleaner too -- nice work so far! (Do I spot some old school Ansens under that plastic sheeting??)

The car is coming along nicely. Do you shave the handels? Post some more pics when you get it in paint. 68s are the bomb!!!

Thanks yes I shaved the door handles, side marker lights, emblems and antenna. As far as the air brushing I'm still learning but its fun.

Way cool artistry there.

Looks like you are gonna crank out a masterpiece of a cuda.

I'm gonna follow this build with great enthusiasm.

Been working on the cuda and it is almost got all of its basecoat on. I like Cudaspaz's AAR stripe and came up with a version with a twist. I painted a test panel to see how it looked. Carbon fiber with barb wire down the center. The car will be black with toxic green true fire

poststripe.jpg

and at the tail of the stripe instead of Cuda I was playing around with photoshop and came up with this
BarracudaStripe.jpg

let me know what you guys think

Badass doesnt even come close to describing it!! Got any more pics for us to drool over?

flames or barbed wire aren't my style but I do like the logo !
I could see that on a T-shirt, horn button, wall clock... too cool.

Sorry, barbwire is not my style either. But your work is awesome.
And that paint of yours makes me drool.

awesome work. I'm envious of your painting skills and shop to paint in.

Flames and a stripe down the side may be to much.Very nice work so far you really got some skills there. Jim

nice work on the barracuda! did you grow up in clyde ? I'm in Fremont grew up there and still live there , had a 67 cuda fastback for my first car (78 to 81) and then got a 68 fastback in 81 that i am restoring and just bought a 69 fastback.

nice work on the barracuda! did you grow up in clyde ? I'm in Fremont grew up there and still live there , had a 67 cuda fastback for my first car (78 to 81) and then got a 68 fastback in 81 that i am restoring and just bought a 69 fastback.

Yes I have lived in Clyde all my life and graduated in 1984. It's great to have some more Cuda's in the area!

Hope your a Auto Shop teacher?Cause you could pass your talents!Cars lookin cool,Love your ideas!!

Actually I teach computer classes but the Auto collision teacher is good enough to let me use the paint booth LOL

Thanks for all the great comments

My 2 cents worth, since you're asking for opinions on the stripe and flames. If you're building a drag car I'd say great. But if a street car there's just too much going on IMHO. Sometimes understatement can say more. But I'm beginning to wish I'd painted my 68 black, paint looks great.

-
Back