SCT versus random orbital sander?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In the next week or two, I'm going to start sanding body panels to get ready for body repair, primer, filler, paint and all that. I have a pretty good random orbital sander but I've seen so much lately about the Eastwood SCT. For those who have used both, which would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's what they call it. A surface conditioning tool. It's sort of a rotating drum sander that you hold in your hand.
Oh ok. I know what you're talkin about now. lol

I'd stick to a DA for panels and maybe the other thing for heavier metal myself.

DA has always worked for me. Unless...........You love tools! :)

Well, I  do love tools, and don't mind buying a new one, but this is out of the realm of my current knowledge and I don't want to mess up the panels it took me a while to find. :)

I’ve had my eye on the SCT for a while now, they’re just so dang expensive.

From what I understand, the SCT and a DA are for different things. The contouring tool is more for hogging off paint quickly and the DA is for lighter work.

At least that’s my understanding of it…

I’ve had my eye on the SCT for a while now, they’re just so dang expensive.

From what I understand, the SCT and a DA are for different things. The contouring tool is more for hogging off paint quickly and the DA is for lighter work.

At least that’s my understanding of it…

Yeah, I thought the same. I have to (or at least would really like to) remove the paint from essentially every external panel on my Dart Sport so I can see what's hidden - rust, filler, etc. I'm really leaning toward the SCT, unless I hear words of wisdom from others in the know.

FWIW, I've looked at buying one of those tools and the Harbor Freight Bauer version has good reviews, seems to perform the same as the Eastwood SCT, has similar specs, and it's cheaper. It would not surprise me at all if it's built at the same Chinese factory.

I'm no body man but as i recall from my best friends dad who was when I was 16ish, a D/A is not the best thing to use either. He used a 7 or 8 inch grinder with a 60 grit disc and no backer. Ripped the paint right off. A D/A can heat the panel or some such thing. Obviously don't stay in one place too long. Long sweeping movements.

Hopefully someone more qualified than me (literally ANY bodyman) will chime in and set us all straight.

FWIW, I've looked at buying one of those tools and the Harbor Freight Bauer version has good reviews, seems to perform the same as the Eastwood SCT, has similar specs, and it's cheaper. It would not surprise me at all if it's built at the same Chinese factory.
Honestly, that's the one I'm looking at. It may be lacking in some areas, but if I don't plan on going into business stripping paint, I figure I should be okay. :)

I'm no body man but as i recall from my best friends dad who was when I was 16ish, a D/A is not the best thing to use either. He used a 7 or 8 inch grinder with a 60 grit disc and no backer. Ripped the paint right off. A D/A can heat the panel or some such thing. Obviously don't stay in one place too long. Long sweeping movements.

Hopefully someone more qualified than me (literally ANY bodyman) will chime in and set us all straight.

I meant random orbital sander, but I know what you mean. I figure any sander should be kept moving to avoid heat build up.

Honestly, that's the one I'm looking at. It may be lacking in some areas, but if I don't plan on going into business stripping paint, I figure I should be okay. :)

I have the Bauer. The thing will take more pressure than the D/A or a grinder. If you go that way, you'll need to keep a light touch, which will build heat. Food for thought.

I meant random orbital sander, but I know what you mean. I figure any sander should be kept moving to avoid heat build up.

Yeah tomato/tomato lol. My buddies dad yelled at him for using a D'A to remove paint. it's a smoothing/feathering tool.

I'm just starting to think about stripping the paint from my car now that the new quarters are nearly finished. The plan is to use an angle grinder with a 3M clean and strip XT pad. It seems to remove paint pretty quick. I also have a 7 inch rotary unit with 40 grit discs and a DA sander. I haven't tried the rotary one out yet. Hopefully between these 3 the job will be quick without damaging anything. I'm doubtful that the drum type will do a better job but who knows. I would think the random orbital would be the least aggressive and slowest at stripping.

It is. And it uses the same drums as Eastwood. I have a harbor freight one and it works really well.

Only Con so far, the drums are expensive and you’ll go thru them fast, though not as fast as regular sand paper or those 3M stripping wheels.

It is. And it uses the same drums as Eastwood. I have a harbor freight one and it works really well.

Only Con so far, the drums are expensive and you’ll go thru them fast, though not as fast as regular sand paper or those 3M stripping wheels.
That was my fear....expensive and hard to get up here. Unless its miles ahead I'll stick with the tools I have. I would really like a tig machine though :)

Some DA's can be locked so it just spins instead of wobbles. It essentially becomes a grinder and shouldnt be used on sheet metal. It will strip paint in a hurry but also can chew into the metal quickly.
The SCT is made mostly for stripping metal and prepping for body work. If you want a really good DA, check out Hutchins. Expensive but in my opinion well worth the investment.

I'd stick to a DA for panels and maybe the other thing for heavier metal myself.
This and you can use different back up pads on the DA so you have one for sanding rough with sticky papper and one for fine with hook and loop

That was my fear....expensive and hard to get up here. Unless its miles ahead I'll stick with the tools I have. I would really like a tig machine though :)
So far, if you’re stripping a car, I think it is probably the better method if you’re sanding down. It is definitely quicker. And it rides the body lines much better than a DA or wire wheel.

That said, if I had to do it again, I’d found the the 1200 bucks to have the thing chemical dipped.

So far, if you’re stripping a car, I think it is probably the better method if you’re sanding down. It is definitely quicker. And it rides the body lines much better than a DA or wire wheel.

That said, if I had to do it again, I’d found the the 1200 bucks to have the thing chemical dipped.

That would be great, except there's nothing like that anywhere near us. :(

-
Back