sealing hood to Carb any HP gain?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
My car is a BB 500 stroker and It spends a considerable time at over 100 mph. Road Coarse car.
Questions:
A
Would I notice any improvement in performance if I seal my 5 inch six pack hood to my Carb at those sustained high speeds
B
How would I do it and also get good filtration?

Sometimes I have an overheating issue when I am running 90mph plus for 25 minutes..I bet I get alot of turbulence from the hood scoop and I read on here to seal your scoop to your carb for that very reason. The air entering the engine compartment can interfere with the radiator

You could do like the A12 Roadrunner and Superbee style air cleaner or AAR and T/A Style with a rubber between the base plate and hood. You just have to make the base plate larger than the opening on the hood.
You could also fabricate a cover atached to the hood with a hole just big enough for the air cleaner to poke through.
Hope this helps.
Emilio

Actually,what is your cooling system consist of?Pictures would help greatly,so would engine specs.You willget it figured out here,be patient.

Try it ,
A cover for the air cleaner to poke through and then maybe some vents in the back of the scoop to let air pass through and not go into the engine compartment from the scoop.
I read on here that you want the air to go through the radiator and its possjble to get back turbulence from a hood Scoop interfering with the path of air flow at high speed.Makes sense

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes I have an overheating issue when I am running 90mph plus for 25 minutes..I bet I get alot of turbulence from the hood scoop and I read on here to seal your scoop to your carb for that very reason. The air entering the engine compartment can interfere with the radiator

I call that packing. You have two air flow masses packing in or fighting for the same real estate. Sealing the scoop may help the situation by limiting that high pressure air source.

It may also pick up some ponies from sealing. Not uncommon for drag cars to pick up MPH when sealed.

Try it ,
A cover for the air cleaner to poke through and then maybe some vents in the back of the scoop to let air pass through and not go into the engine compartment from the scoop.
I read on here that you want the air to go through the radiator and its possjble to get back turbulence from a hood Scoop interfering with the path of air flow at high speed.Makes sense

Simply sealing off the air cleaner to the scoop will keep a bulk of the air entering the scoop from goin into the engine compartment. No need for the vents on the back of the scoop.

I would say that you would gain from it and I will tell you what I learned at the dragstrip a few weeks back.
It was a real hot and humid test and tune the Saturday before musclepalooza and I made my first pass with air cleaners on(the elements just up out of the pan)Car felt like it needed a good kick in the butt:banghead:
So the second pass I decided to yank the velocity stacks out which left my carbs down way below the openings in the pan and I lost 2 10ths and most of it was lost in the first 60 ft.
put everything back and the car gained back those 2 10ths on the next pass
Being that your a road course car I feel you would gain and probably feel it.

Attachments

• 000_3832.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 485
-
Back