How much does temperature affect motor?

-
I just got around to being able to wrench on my dart for a few minutes
I only pulled a few spark plugs just to get an idea. I fully admit I don't really know how to read spark plugs but these look a little too dark and wet to be normal correct?
I don't think I have that hot idle compensator on my carb?
It might be important to note that I basically don't run a choke on the carb. no matter how light I had it, I could not get it to work right and the engine would run horrible. I basically hVe it set to stay fully open at all times how it is in the pictures, it only turns maybe another 10-20* before it's fully vertical
20210805_082101.jpg

20210805_082021.jpg

20210805_082048.jpg

20210805_082055.jpg

20210805_082233.jpg

Screenshot_20210805-084752_Gallery.jpg
View attachment 1715776492
3310-1 is a 750. Take a look here
https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pdf
And it will tell you everything about it. I would return that thing back to completely stock and start tuning from there. You have no idea what has or could have been done during all the years of rebuilds.

Am I reading the chart correctly? My carb should be the R3310-1 At the bottom of my cropped photo?
I will study this and do my best to return everything to its original form after I get a chance to warm everything up and test for vacuum leaks

View attachment 1715776491

You are pig fat (to quote yellow rose) everywhere. Get that choke wired open completely or take the blade off all together if you don’t use it. Check the fuel level in your bowls and adjust them if necessary, replace the main jets with 72s, check you’re power valve (should be a 6.5 you can suck on it to tell if the diaphragm is ruptured), flip the carb upside down and set the transfer slot opening to just slightly over square, adjust the needles to 1.5 turns out, and put it back on and start the engine. First thing to look for is fuel dribbling out of the boosters with it running. There should be none. If there is, check the fuel level in bowls first, then check the needles. Then, and only then, you can start to tune it. Stay with it you’ll get it dialed in.

And yes you read the chart correctly. That line R3310-1 is all of the info for that carb.

That does appear to be an older 3310-1 and in fact could be a 780cfm. They were metering block vacuum secondary carbs and were pretty good. I’m looking for info on secondary fuel metering.
Edited to add;
Yup the chart lists it as a metering block vacuum secondary. It should have 76 jets in the back. And under power valve says 12”-13”. Never noticed that before. If you’re tests ok then stick it back in and tune that circuit later on. If it tests bad we’ll have to figure out what it is. Look for a number on it.

Since I still haven't heard if the manifold was new or not....

I'll take a guess

it runs shitty cold cause of that choke 'setting' and runs shitty hot because of a vacuum leak with a strong possibility of manifold/head seating/sealing issue since it was recently swapped on to a good running engine.

Those plugs certainly don’t look like a vacuum leak/lean running engine to me. He said the manifold was not new but was on a previous engine and had no modifications done to it.

Since I still haven't heard if the manifold was new or not....

I'll take a guess

it runs shitty cold cause of that choke 'setting' and runs shitty hot because of a vacuum leak with a strong possibility of manifold/head seating/sealing issue since it was recently swapped on to a good running engine.

Sorry I thought I said in a previous post. The manifold was not new, it came with my dart on another running engine. When I swapped to my current engine, I literally took the motor out of the motorhome, swapped oil pans, changed all the freeze plugs, painted it, moved my accessories and aluminum intake over then dropped it on. Otherwise the engine was not opened in any other way. As far as vacuum leaks, I just got back from getting it nice and hot then spraying around all possible vacuum leak locations (alls hoses, carb base gasket, intake gasket where the manifold meets the head, china wall, and even around where the heads meet the block where I could reach.) The engine did not react at all so I am going to assume no vacuum leaks.
The way the choke is currently "set up" is that it sits at that angle when off and as soon as the engine fires up and has the smallest bit of vacuum, the choke gets pulled open all the way. Since its true that I basically dont use it. I will be removing the flap all together to help eliminate variables.
I dont think it runs too shitty cold all things considered. I figured any carbuerated engine running no choke would not be running ideally while cold until the carb got a little heat in it to help atomize the fuel. On start up, I have to feather the throttle for about 30ish seconds or else it sputters out and almost dies. As soon as the carb gets that little bit of heat in it then it can at least hold idle and drive around slowly until it really gets up to temp.

I think my next step will be to pull the carb off and bring it as close to its original settings as I can get it before throwing it back on and trying again.

So then it's back to the carb for the cold running and probably the carb but still could could be ignition when hot.

So then it's back to the carb for the cold running and probably the carb but still could could be ignition when hot.

Just out of curiosity, just in CASE it's an issue with my ignition system getting heat soaked or possibly something else. How would I test if my coil is weak in general? and is my coil mounted in a good spot? In the picture I posted with my carb, you can barely see that I have it mounted on a bracket towards the back of the engine close to the distributor. that bracket is bolted to the intake and I made sure that besides touching that bracket,the coil would be touching nothing else

Why aren't you doing what has been suggested by TT5.9mag?????
That technical advice is correct and to the point, what more do you want?. Over jetted for sure, look at those plugs!! 15 degrees BTDC for the initial timing

Just out of curiosity, just in CASE it's an issue with my ignition system getting heat soaked or possibly something else. How would I test if my coil is weak in general? and is my coil mounted in a good spot? In the picture I posted with my carb, you can barely see that I have it mounted on a bracket towards the back of the engine close to the distributor. that bracket is bolted to the intake and I made sure that besides touching that bracket,the coil would be touching nothing else
You’ll never be able to properly diognose a problem if you jump around to 2 or 3 different things. And it’s really frustrating if the problem goes away and you have no idea what you fixed to make it go away. Focus on the carb for now. We can tell it needs some tuning. After that, if you still have issues, move to the ignition. In a prior post I said “as long as your ignition timing is REASONABLE and STABLE”, and hopefully it is. If that’s the case focus on the carb.

Why aren't you doing what has been suggested by TT5.9mag?????
That technical advice is correct and to the point, what more do you want?. Over jetted for sure, look at those plugs!! 15 degrees BTDC for the initial timing
You’ll never be able to properly diognose a problem if you jump around to 2 or 3 different things. And it’s really frustrating if the problem goes away and you have no idea what you fixed to make it go away. Focus on the carb for now. We can tell it needs some tuning. After that, if you still have issues, move to the ignition. In a prior post I said “as long as your ignition timing is REASONABLE and STABLE”, and hopefully it is. If that’s the case focus on the carb.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause any confusion. Thank you @TT5.9mag for your patience and help to help me solve this problem. I am very much a "solve one problem at a time" type of person. Yesterday since the car DOES idle, I figured it would be a good time to test for any possible vacuum leaks just to eliminate that variable. Now the only thing I am focused on is the carb and nothing else.

I was only asking about the possibility of ignition issues just to learn more about it in case I suspect something along those lines in the future. But I don't want to derail my own thread so I'll leave that for another day.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause any confusion. Thank you @TT5.9mag for your patience and help to help me solve this problem. I am very much a "solve one problem at a time" type of person. Yesterday since the car DOES idle, I figured it would be a good time to test for any possible vacuum leaks just to eliminate that variable. Now the only thing I am focused on is the carb and nothing else.

I was only asking about the possibility of ignition issues just to learn more about it in case I suspect something along those lines in the future. But I don't want to derail my own thread so I'll leave that for another day.
Hey man, no reason to apologize. I just see a lot of people get so caught up in chasing multiple problems at once only to get discouraged and never fix anything. You gotta eat an elephant one bite at a time.

Keep it stupid simple I have gotten many cores that looked good and have found roaches, spiders, moths inside. It only takes
Something smaller than a pin to clog a passage. If it was stored in a plastic bag dissregard

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to touch the Dart in a few days. Went out of town this weekend to deal with some wedding stuff, and between long days at work and picking up my kid from school, it's been difficult to find a few minutes to chip away at the Dart. The biggest thing is that I keep it in storage so it doesn't live at home with me. If I don't get a chance to remove the carb this week then I will definitely have a chance to work on it on Saturday.
Thanks for checking in @TT5.9mag

family stuff first, then cars. I definitely understand that. Let us know when you get to turn a few wrenches.

'68 Dart with a stock '76 360 out of a motorhome, edelbrock performer rpm intake, and unknown brand headers, a Holley 750 4bbl vacuum secondary and a 1/4" phenolic spacer.

it idles in park at about 950-1000 rpm and about 800 rpm in gear, and the engine has seemed its happiest at about 14-15* initial timing. The carb has been jetted down 3 levels from its original 76 jets to 73.

Why, why, and why?
Why does the stock engine idle so high.
Why does it need 14/15 * idle-timing. and
Why did you need to downjet?

But first;
>> Ok so your problem could be ; mechanical, or it could be ignition, or it could be fueling, or it could simply be the tune.
I always look at the mechanical first; Next up is ignition. Then fueling. And finally the tune.
Ok I see a lotta this has already been covered so back to the whys;
------------------
Last first: as for the jets;
73s are still too big on the primary side, but the secondary side should have a plate equivalent to about six/eight sizes bigger than whatever you run on the front. I would diagnose the Primary MJs by removing the PV and installing a plug, installing 68s, and then roadtesting in second gear, with a vacuum gauge, by rolling into the throttle at various rpms from 1800 to 2800, to various vacuum settings; to see at what manifold vacuum the primaries run out. You will feel it as the engine lays down.
You want this to be at about 10 inches. Change the MJs until you get it.
Now install a NEW PV, either a 12.5 or a 10.5 and roadtest for a smooth transition from 12 to 8 inches.

As for the high idle-rpm;
Make sure your secondaries are fully closed but not sticking.
Make sure that you have NO vacuum leaks, including into the Crankcase.
Make sure the PCV is plumbed to the FRONT of the carb.
Make sure the Brake Booster, if you have one, is plumbed to the back of the carb or to the Plenum, but NOT to just to one intake runner.
Make sure the Vacuum-advance can is plumbed to the spark-port.
Make sure ALL other vacuum ports are plugged.
Make sure the fuel-level is correct and stable. BTW, your carb does not care about the fuel pressure; it only cares about a stable design-correct wet fuel level. Pressure is what the system needs to get the fuel from the back and to maintain the wet fuel level.
For now; if you have an EGR, defeat it, so it doesn't confuse the tune.

Now back up the timing to 8 to 10 degrees, and reset the idle-speed to 650 in Neutral.
Now before you do anything else, check your PowerTiming. Unplug the Vcan, and just rev it up until it stops advancing. Could be 3000, or 3500, or even 4000. Wherever it stops, it should be less than 36*. Record the number. Rev it up and down gently a few times while watching the timing marks, to prove it is advancing smoothly and not sticking.
Next, with a Holley-type carb, set the mixture screws to between 1/2 and 3/4 turn.
Here's the thing;
The slow speed system of this carb consists of the Transfer Slots and the Idle enrichment screws. These two are synchronized to eachother by the Idle-Timing.
If the Idle-Timing is set too high, then the idle speed will be too high. If you then slow the engine down by using the speed screw, this automatically reduces the Transfer Slot fuel. Which makes the engine run rough; so you open up the mixture screws. And finally it idles. But, as soon as the engine comes OFF Idle, the AFR goes rich, because the mixture screws are out too far. Another thing that happens, in the above condition, is most times the engine will have a Tip-in; stumble, hesitation or sag. This is because the transfers are lean, they take a few milliseconds to come back up to speed. The cure is simple; just open the throttle some more, and reset the mixture screws. If the speed goes outta sight, you just retard the timing.
If the IdleTiming is not enough, your Idle speed will be too slow. So you will use the speed-screw to speed it up. This will open the transfer slots dumping in more fuel. So then you will shut off some of the fuel coming from the mixture screws. Now it idles. But as soon as the engine comes Off Idle, the AFR goes lean because of the dried up mixture screws.
You can play around with this for hours and hours searching for the perfect setting.
Or you can try the settings I gave you above.
Or you can just get it right the first time with
this method;
Remove the carb and drain it. Then with the throttles on the curb idle screw, keep it there and flip the carb upside down. Now go find the transfer slots, on the engine side of the blades and adjust them with the speed screw, to be square, to a little taller than wide but Not shorter than wide......... BOTH the same.
After that, make sure the secondaries are closed up tight but not sticking.... BOTH of them. Then reset the mixture screws to 1/2 turn from lightly seated.
These settings will get you daymn close.
NOW, after this, do NOT touch the speed screw. If you have to adjust the rpm, do it with timing advance in the range of 8 to 14 degrees, to get about 650 in gear or whatever does not BANG when shifting from Neutral, and is half-azzed smooth.
Now remember; the idle fuel is synchronized between the transfers and the mixture screws. So you can use the mixture screws as diagnostic tools. If the engine runs better with a lil more mixture screw opening, then you can adjust the transfers richer and put the mixture screws back to .5 to .75 turn. But if the engine wants less fuel, then tweak the speed screw the other way, and reset the screws again. Do not tweak the speed screw more than about 1/2 turn slower, nor more than 1 turn faster.
Now you are really close.
Reset the timing to recover your desired in-gear idle-speed.
Finally, road test it for a tip-in hesitation. see note-1
If you consistently get one, reset you accelerator pump per the factory instructions.
If you still get one, check/reset your float level.
If you still get one, add 2 degrees Idle-Timing but do not reset the speed screw setting.
If you still consistently get the stumble; ADD ONE FULL TURN to the speed screw fueling, reset the mixtures to .5 turn, take the two degrees timing back out, and try it again.

Note-1
I am talking about a Tip-in hesitation.
So Tip-in is what it implies. You get into the car, you put it into gear and let it idle, like you were sitting at a light behind another car. The light goes green, the guy in front of you starts moving, then it's your turn. So then you very gently tip in the throttle, and drive away.
In the next year, you will be doing this thousands of times, so if it stumbles, it will make your life miserable. So, IMO, you must not have a tip-in stumble. Take whatever time you need to get this set up right.

Ok so, that's my story and I'm sticking to it......

Last edited:
I vote we chip in & buy a new keyboard for Christmas for AJ.....'cause he must go through them pretty quickly...

-
Back