second shift jobs

-

shiifty_dart

Reaction score
I work second shift (3-11) and was wondering if any one else works the dreaded shift been on it since my sophomore year of H.S. I'm getting tired of it just thought Id vent thanks for listening

6:30 P.M. to 6:30 A.M.you thought you had it rough.

3 days,short change 3 nights 6 off,right 12 and 2 then 18 and 3(money,money,money)

I used to work second shift (first 12-8pm and later 3-11PM) at an aerospace company a few years ago. I did not see too much of my family, but managed to get my project car finished since I had to wake kids up in the morning and had plenty of time between taking them to bus stop and leaving for work several hours later. seems like the mornings are more productive for me than trying to work on a project in the evenings after work (like I have been trying lately).

Bob

i worked 11pm-7am for about 13 years. filled in for the 3-11 shift wuit a few times over the years and hated that shift. ha can't get started on anything before work then after work i was all wired and couldn't sleep when i got home. midnights were way better in my opinion if your doing 8 hours.

i am on 12 hour shifts now and its the only way to do shift work. 6am to 6pm on m,t,f,s one week the following week its su,w,thurs. the 3 day weekend off then to 6pm to 6am . you never feel like your at work.

I worked swing shift for many years and loved it (3:00PM~11:30PM).......until kids got old enough to go to school, then I wouldn't see them until the weekend. I had to go to day shift or graveyard (which I hated) so I could see the kiddies during the week.

why I love swing shift:

1. The best part of the day is yours!....in the mornings when you're fresh and well-rested.....work on your car, ride your bike, hang out w/wifey or small kids if they're not in school yet.
2. You can take care of all the stuff you need to during the day.....(banks, appointments, parts stores etc.) and rarely have to take a day off for it.
3. Beat all the traffic.....most of the day-shift loser traffic will be going the other way when you're heading into work!
4. Still time to do a little partying after work.....and you can show up sober while a lot of the other people are slurring their words and making asses of themselves already.
5. Less supervisors!......at my work, (maintenance shop) it's easier to bring in your own little hot rod projects to steam clean or bead blast them, whereas on dayshift it's an instant bust by the manager.

Cuadvert has it right. I spent 7 years on afternoons at Mopar, 2 - 10:30, 2:30 - 11, 3 - 11:30, 4 - 12:30. overtime was after the shift, i was already there why not work it. I still went to the bar, and slept in. and MY projects got my best, now I'm on days, my projects get whats left over after already working all day.

Last year we had our hours changed to rotating 8 hr shifts 6-2 2-10 10-6 one week at a time sucked hated it, now we are back to normal 2-2-3 rotating 12hr shifts 6 to 6 it's not that bad because you work monday tuesday off for 2 days work the next 3 off 2 work 2 off 3 switch to days or nights

Did thirds for a couple years 10:30 pm to 6:30 am that really sucked

i always prefered midnights over the 3-11 shift. i'd get home at like 7:30 then sleep till about noon. then the entire day untill about 10pm was mine to do whatever. got tons of work dome on the cars because there is never anyone around to bother me... i also prefer the week days off over the weekends because of the same thing plus everything is open.. now with the 12 hour shifts i have every other weekend off so its kinda of the best of both worlds for me..

2:30 pm - 11:00 pm 6-7 days a week here. I am currently working 25 days straight. I am an industrial mechanic.

I worked for Georgia pacific 18 yrs... 3p-11p ,8=yrs 11p7a 1yr or so,
the remaining was 7a -3p,,did overtime on whatever one i could
The company I work for now is rotating 2,2,3,
7-7:30
I wasnt sure I'd like it at first,but I enjoy it, nights and weekends are kinda peaceful..lol
I have a calendar,know my schedule for a year,overtime being the only exception to that

Last year we had our hours changed to rotating 8 hr shifts 6-2 2-10 10-6 one week at a time sucked hated it, now we are back to normal 2-2-3 rotating 12hr shifts 6 to 6 it's not that bad because you work monday tuesday off for 2 days work the next 3 off 2 work 2 off 3 switch to days or nights

I never quite understood what's up with the rotating shifts thing. It seems like your body needs to get used to working a particular shift as far as sleep patterns go......it's almost inhuman, like sleep deprivation.

When I had to work graveyard, I hated it with a passion.......I'd come home and no matter what time I slept, morning or afternoon, I was mindless! I mean, if I went to the store and bought something, I couldn't even count my change!! Others @ my work have been on graveyard for over 25 years.

I never quite understood what's up with the rotating shifts thing. It seems like your body needs to get used to working a particular shift as far as sleep patterns go......it's almost inhuman, like sleep deprivation.

i think it makes the employees happier. to me its better then being stuck on one shift for 13 years. everyone gets night shift a,everyone gets day shift and everyone gets every other fri,sat and sun off. with the 12 hours that i do i always have 3 days off before i change from days to nights. going to nights is a little harder but on monday of my first over night shift if i can get a nap for one or two hours before i leave for work then i'm good to go.. the other thing i like is on my short week (sunday,wed,thurs) i only have to take off wed and thurs to have a 7 days off. i usually try to take my vacation time on my short day shift weeks. day shift is usually busy as hell and nights are peaceful.

When I had to work graveyard, I hated it with a passion.......I'd come home and no matter what time I slept, morning or afternoon, I was mindless! I mean, if I went to the store and bought something, I couldn't even count my change!! Others @ my work have been on graveyard for over 25 years.

We rotate shifts to keep it fair, since nobody on the crew wants to work nights. With 7 guys, we run 24/7. Its 2 months of nights and 5 months of days.

i am steady days now ... kind of hate it now ... becuase i always have to take days off to accomplish things out side of work...

I used to do shift work in many forms ... 0700-1900 and then flip the next day to 1900 -0700 .. or the other one ... two 0700-1900 and then flip to 1900-0700 for two days.

the best i ever had was working 4 days ... then 3 days off then three nights and three days off then 2 nights ... and a week off and then back to the 4 days on.
i might have it off a bit but i know the hours worked out to be the same as a regular 4 on 4 off ... and i had a week off every 3 weeks if i remember right.
At the same time i could carrry a second job that was also shift work and it was 0600 -1800 and vice versa .. and i was on call ... so i could take the shift or not take the shift So i basically made 2 full time jobs ... the government loved it too .. and so did my bank managers :)

10pm - -8am....4--10hr shifts per week. Afternoons is a piece of cake in comparison.....done both.

i worked 11pm to 11am friday, saturday, sundays, and every other monday. then I went to days and had to deal with engineers and managers, so I quit and started my own business. Working nights was cool. but that was before we had kids

-
Back