Secondaries not opening

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I just put on a holley street avenger 570 and haven't really had any luck getting the secondaries to open. The engine idles and and all perfectly and all the vacuum ports have the plugs that came with it or are hooked up and i even put in the lighter spring so I'm kinda baffled here. I haven't done the paper clip test because I figured either they aren't opening or this carb builds as much power as a soda can with holes poked in it and is useless. Thanks in advance for all tips and suggestions

you will not get the secondaries to open with a vacuum carb by winging it in neutral......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xOiJQj6CSU"]How To Adjust Holley Carburetor Vacuum Secondary Springs - YouTube[/ame]

There's always needlepoint.

I know that, its called I take the car out for a spin, punch it and get off the line with low power, 100x less than with my edelbrock. Also, I did feel them open some after I put in the light spring, but it was still pretty pathetic on power.

When I change springs, I do the suck on the hole to make the diaphragm actuate test. It should pull in easily with you doing that. That will rule out a bad or incorrectly installed diaphragm. If that works, you might have a gasket that is keeping the secondaries from opening. You might need to trim it a little.
Rod

thanks for the tip! i did manually actuate the secondaries to make sure they werent binding at all though

Also make sure your accelerator pump is set up right, You will have to tune this carb but once its tune you cant beat it.

There's a little round gskt that goes between the actuator, and the carb body, make sure it's there..

To test the actuator, take the actuator off, and just push the rod up into the pod and plug the vac port with your finger,, and try to pull the rod down,, it shouldn't as long as your finger's on the port.. Saves uckky tastes from suckin on it.. (no comment nec.)

Which spring did you put in ??

Was there a check-ball, and did you remove it ?

Do the paper clip thing..

Are you getting full throttle?,,,,,

and as you move that plunger up and down on the vacuum cannister you should here a hissing noise telling you that the vacuum can is sealed...

due you have the Chrysler throttle adapter...holley pn 20-7 on it..????

Also, don't forget to adjust the slack out of your accelerator cable so you can get to full throttle. Make sure that the pedal can fully open your carb all the way.

To test the actuator, take the actuator off, and just push the rod up into the pod and plug the vac port with your finger,, and try to pull the rod down,, it shouldn't as long as your finger's on the port.. Saves uckky tastes from suckin on it.. (no comment nec.)

It's more fun to watch him suck on it.... LOL! :pale:

I take the car out for a spin, punch it and get off the line with low power, 100x less than with my edelbrock.

Rick, it doesn't necessarily sound like a sec'd opening problem to me.

That carb has a #31 pump nozzle, which should be fine with a Stealth intake. It also comes with #54 primary jets. While they should be fine with a bone stock engine, I have to wonder if it's a little too lean considering the decent sized intake, headers, and a little more cam over stock that you have?

How do the spark plugs look? Unleaded gas makes them a little hard to read, but are they stone white?

Alright... Listing here lol

1. Yes if you move the rod or manually open the secondaries you can hear like an air hissing sound
2. Iv checked it several times to insure I am getting WOT
3. There was not a check ball that I know of
4. I have the eddy version of that adapter at the moment, but I'm ordering the holley one
5. Unfortunately I can't test the plugs cause the eddys been running off them for a bit. Id be surprised if it was too lean since the eddy always ran a bit rich

A couple of things about vacuum secondary carburetors. First, if you can feel the secondaries open, they are not adjusted right. The car will be fastest when the transition into the secondaries is invisible. Secondly, as stated above, make SURE the little cork gasket is between the secondary diaphragm housing and the main body. If you leave it out, the secondaries either will not open, be very lazy, or not open fully. Also, I do not recommend removing the vacuum secondary check ball. This causes the secondaries to open to "hard" and will actually slow the car down. I did not see where you said you actually tested the secondary diaphragm. Remove the housing. Then depress the diaphragm rod into the housing and put your thumb over the vacuum port and then release the rod. The rod should not return all the way back out. It may come out some from the spring pressure, but if it comes all the way back out, the diaphragm is bad and should be replaced. If it's good......or when you repair it, do the paper clip test. Don't blab about not doin it on the forum. DO IT. That's the only way to verify operation or the lack thereof. Bitchin about it on the forum won't confirm anything. No offense. When you get a vacuum secondary carburetor right, you'll KNOW it. There will be no question. I know a lot of guys on here like the double pumpers and they have their place. But IMO, on a mild to even hot street/race car with an automatic, the vacuum secondary carburetor is really had to beat.

do the paper clip trick,repeat,do the paper clip trick.end of knowing if they are opening.

What is the paper clip trick???

Place a paper around the secondary diaphragm rod and slide it up against the bottom of the housing. Drive the car and accelerate hard enough to open the secondaries. Come back and note the position of the paper clip. If the clip is further down the rod, the secondaries opened.

do the paper clip trick,repeat,do the paper clip trick.end of knowing if they are opening.

Exactly. It's something that's so easy, makes me wonder why we're even wastin bandwidth.

Place a paper around the secondary diaphragm rod and slide it up against the bottom of the housing. Drive the car and accelerate hard enough to open the secondaries. Come back and note the position of the paper clip. If the clip is further down the rod, the secondaries opened.

Thats a cool trick, Rob!...never knew about it...but with me being a Carter fan, it isn't a problem.

-
Back