Seen this yet?

-
That's not far from where I live, some details that are comming out are sketchy though, but agree, break in and you will get what you got comming

If everyone carried a piece less thieves would try something stupid. Hard to think they would draw if they knew the other person would draw and use it. A couple of days ago an idiot pull a piece at a gas station only to find himself in a body bag because the guy he drew on was an off duty cop.

so he is just suppose to let them take his life! H@$% no some one breaks in to my home the same thing will happen

There's a HUGE difference between eliminating the threat and having the wherewithal to avoid calling the cops, "finishing" someone, etc...

I can't say what it's like to face an armed intruder, but the calculation described in the article describes something beyond fear for one's life.

The lesson should be that if you break into someone's house, you just might run into someone who goes overboard in retaliation.
I don't agree that this was justified, but then it wasn't my house either.

They should be able to call him ruthless, ahole, angry old man or whatever they want.
But they shouldn't be able to sentence him for murder.
Telling someone they could have used less force after the fact when they got thier house broken into is BS.

There was a man here not long ago sleeping and was woke up by 3 people that broke in his home, 1 lady 41 years old and 2 young men thinking they was gone, the family was gone but the husband was home
They showed the holes he shot threw the sheet rock walls on the news
they cought all 3 of then that very evening driving a toyota suv about 10 miles from his house, this interview on the news did us all good
Mr Marcus (I believe) said he unlouded his shot gun threw the wall and they ran off, every person was hit and bleeding in there suv.
the Lady was the only on packing and she was hit real bad in the shoulder He seen the suv and was on his cell phone as they drove away out his back yard.. This is the kind of news that needs to be aired more often so these mucked up people will think twice before they try this..
I love our Arkansas gun laws, C Carry so we can help save some ones life.. Yea Dave, the world is going to HE double hockey sticks, so stay prepared

Well I guess your allowed to use a "little" force to defend yourself but not alot. The way I see it is their are 2 less criminals to worry about! It's funny how some people ignor the fact that had these two intruders been obeying the law and not commiting a crime they woud still be alive! Though the story is a little strange and the old mans actions questionable, he did not break into their house and shoot them!

Well I guess your allowed to use a "little" force to defend yourself but not alot. The way I see it is their are 2 less criminals to worry about! It's funny how some people ignor the fact that had these two intruders been obeying the law and not commiting a crime they woud still be alive! Though the story is a little strange and the old mans actions questionable, he did not break into their house and shoot them!

Gotta agree.

This statement from the article jumps out at me:

But Liberty Nunn, a Little Falls resident who said she knew Nicholas Brady's older sister, said Smith could have simply shouted at them to stop. She said she hopes Smith goes to prison "for a very, very long time."

"Those are two young lives that were taken," she said. "It's just not right."

Did Liberty Nunn stop to think that these two young people just broke into someone's home, not knowing who - or what - might be awaiting them and they suffered the consequences of those actions?

This one is hard to call. If he only shot 1 time he would have been ok maybe. But he went overboard with how many times he shot them

Yea Dave, the world is going to HE double hockey sticks, so stay prepared
Yep, have the ancestral battle axe, and it's still sharp enough to shave with.... My ancestors were Scottish berserkers.

Gotta agree.

This statement from the article jumps out at me:

Did Liberty Nunn stop to think that these two young people just broke into someone's home, not knowing who - or what - might be awaiting them and they suffered the consequences of those actions?

Exactly. If they had stayed out of that house, they would still be alive to do their dirt.

This one is hard to call. If he only shot 1 time he would have been ok maybe. But he went overboard with how many times he shot them

The issue isn't even how many times he shot them.

It's that he

a) Disturbed the [crime] scene.

b) Failed to report immediately

c) Continued to pursue long after the threat had been eliminated

Point C is arguable (and I'm sure the jury will do just that). There are no excuses for points A and B. None.

Someone breaks into my house, they're going to get shot if it's up to me. Fear/panic/anger would probably drive me to pull the trigger instinctively, too, based on how I think I would feel in that situation, but this fellow went far beyond that.

Old codger was ruthless. Lesson learned.. don't steal.

I don't think he should be prosecuted, but he'll prob get charged with a lessor murder charge with or without a suspended sentence. He isn't a danger to society. He's a danger to people breaking in his house.

In the complaint, Smith said he was in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs, followed by footsteps that eventually approached the basement stairwell. Smith said he fired when Brady came into view from the waist down.
After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor.
"I want him dead,"
the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.
Smith said he dragged Brady's body into his basement workshop, then sat down on his chair. After a few minutes, Kifer began coming down the stairs and he shot her as soon as her hips appeared, he said.
After shooting her with both the Mini 14 and the .22-caliber revolver, he dragged her next to Brady. With her still gasping for air, he fired a shot under her chin "up into the cranium," the complaint says.
"Smith described it as a good clean finishing shot,'" according to the complaint.

Old codger was ruthless. Lesson learned.. don't steal.

I don't think he should be prosecuted, but he'll prob get charged with a lessor murder charge with or without a suspended sentence. He isn't a danger to society. He's a danger to people breaking in his house.

===============================================================
Originally Posted by News Article

In the complaint, Smith said he was in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs, followed by footsteps that eventually approached the basement stairwell. Smith said he fired when Brady came into view from the waist down.
After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor.
"I want him dead,"
Smith said he dragged Brady's body into his basement workshop, then sat down on his chair. After a few minutes, Kifer began coming down the stairs and he shot her as soon as her hips appeared, he said.
After shooting her with both the Mini 14 and the .22-caliber revolver, he dragged her next to Brady. With her still gasping for air, he fired a shot under her chin "up into the cranium," the complaint says.
"Smith described it as a good clean finishing shot,'" according to the complaint.

=============================================================

You actually read all this and then this is what you really think???

Sorry guys, but you just cannot do this. You can NOT execute people (which by his own admission is what he did) once they have been put down and out of the picture. IN FACT shooting an assailant who is simply uninjured but lying on the ground would probably result in your prosecution if it could be proven. This man, by his own admission, has convicted himself of murder

Shooting someone who you find at night in your home is not a crime. I would certainly do that myself. I carry a weapon everywhere I go, unless it's illegal. "Dragging a body" somewhere and finishing them off IS a crime.

I quote Minnesota law:

609.065 Justifiable taking of life.
The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

Do you really think that two people, lying on the floor shot, fit the above description?

I honestly think it should be the homeowners choice.
(mostly due to a better deterent for others)

I also think that once an officer has been fired upon, it should be his choice weather that person dies or not (If he has a choice)
In my oppinion, it shouldn't be over just because the perp is loosing what he started.
It should be the officer's choice of how and when it's over.

i have no problem with him shooting intruders. but i do think he went a little above and beyond what needed to be done. the guy sounds like a wack lob.

Though Kifer was "already hurting," she let out a short laugh, Smith told investigators. He then pulled out his .22-caliber revolver and shot her several times in the chest, according to the complaint.
"If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," Smith told investigators, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday.

did she laugh or was she choking or gasping for air after being shot??

and seriously. he didn't report it till the next day? something doesn't add up here.

"I want him dead,"

Sorry guys, but you just cannot do this. You can NOT execute people (which by his own admission is what he did) once they have been put down and out of the picture. IN FACT shooting an assailant who is simply uninjured but lying on the ground would probably result in your prosecution if it could be proven. This man, by his own admission, has convicted himself of murder

Shooting someone who you find at night in your home is not a crime. I would certainly do that myself. I carry a weapon everywhere I go, unless it's illegal. "Dragging a body" somewhere and finishing them off IS a crime.

WOW I did not even read it till know.... he will spend time, this is a crime ..

SHOCKED at seeing what this nut did now!!

If you have no way to flee and feel threated and trapped use the gun.

I tend to forget about the feeing thing ... spook me in my home I will be throwing lead.

"I want him dead,"

I quote Minnesota law:

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

Do you really think that two people, lying on the floor shot, fit the above description?

gotta agree with you on that.

"I want him dead,"

I quote Minnesota law:

I agree.

I'm not against protecting your home, yourself or family, but this guy went too far. The two were incapacitated he did the coupe de grace thing that's
execution. Then not get a hold of the cops until the next day.

If he warned them and they kept coming which there is no mention of . That's on them.
If he didn't warn them it's on him.

There's more to this story then was in that report. It's still being investigated. Remember this is what he told the cops. He had a day to destroy evidence too.
One question that's been puzzling me is he said the girl entered the basement stair well after shots were fired. I would have gotten my butt out of there in one hurry if I heard shots. Wouldn't you. And there was no report the kids had weapons so far.

Material items can be replaced . A human life can't.

I have no problem with criminals being killed for trying to burglarize your home. I don't care if they're armed or not. Actually I wish we could shoot them for breaking into our cars. I'll be damned if I spend half my life away from my home working, to have some a-hole that sits on their *** all day walk over to my place and steal the stuff I work so hard for.

This guy is a nut job though. He's obviously been waiting a long time for something like this to happen. You don't wait until the next day to contact authorities when you have blood on your hands. The story about the girl does sound pretty weird though. Coming down the stairs after hearing gun shots and then laughing?

He's got a fighting chance since he's not in California. Here they can break into your house and sue you if they get hurt.

yep defiantly a different kind of guy.But in Conceal carry class at least here in Wisconsin we were taught to unload the magazine at a threat,You do not want a perp to live,You want him dead,But I don't know that after the threat was taking care of that i could walk up to someone point blank and pull the trigger after I just shot them and they fell down the stairs,I would be dialing 911 and getting the hell out of there.

There is something with this article that just ain't right. How could he be so stupid? To tell the investigator "it was a clean finishing shot"? Also, who in their right mind is going to enter a basement stairwell after shots were fired?
I really don't have any sympathy for the teens killed just because, They chose to enter that house and commit a crime. A tragic outcome, yes. Avoidable? Yes.

They said his house had been robbed about 8 times and some pretty valuable items had been taken. I think he was justified to kill them just not that way.
I would have tried to put 10 rounds in them before they hit the bottom of the stairs....if they are still alive after that then sure, call the cops and do the right thing. No finishing shots though.

There is something with this article that just ain't right. How could he be so stupid? To tell the investigator "it was a clean finishing shot"? Also, who in their right mind is going to enter a basement stairwell after shots were fired?
I really don't have any sympathy for the teens killed just because, They chose to enter that house and commit a crime. A tragic outcome, yes. Avoidable? Yes.

They said his house had been robbed about 8 times and some pretty valuable items had been taken. I think he was justified to kill them just not that way.
I would have tried to put 10 rounds in them before they hit the bottom of the stairs....if they are still alive after that then sure, call the cops and do the right thing. No finishing shots though.

Your right in your opening comment. I might be that the elder is suffering from Dementia or early signs of Alzheimers. By his actions and comments he made to police, this may be th case. But as i stated earlier had these two not broke in to the mans house, we woudn't have this thread now would we?

Something is not quite right with this story. He is off but they did get what they deserved as they should expect something to happen if they break into somebody elses house. Sorry but I don't feel sorry for somebody getting killed because they decided to break into some nut jobs house.

-
Back