Sell carb to pan built 340 or part it?

-

jcarr210

Reaction score
So I just picked up a 440 that I'm going to build to replace my 340 in my valiant and looking to get most I can. I have a stack of receipts from late 2011 from the person that paid for the motor to be built. Problem is there's no short block stuff like pistons or rods and short of getting an inspection camera down the spark plug hole and oil pan hole I don't know exactly what it has other than ARP main studs and the 403 model Lunati voodoo cam. I was told it was a forged high compression motor that only takes 93 octane and I have no reason not to believe the guy because after finding and fixing the issues of the damn carb butterfly only opening 70% it hauls *** way more than I thought it hauled *** even before I fixed it. As far as I know it's always been a weekend cruiser, never been sprayed, and I've owned it since 2014. It's a 3 year old motor and I can't see it having more than 10k miles in the build with me putting around 1k miles in last year. Here's what I know the car has, what they are going for new, and what I'll probably ask:

Edelbrock heads $800 each ($1600 total). Asking $1000 for heads, pushrods, and rockers. Everything new would be over $1900
Comp cams pushrods $100
Pro from rockers (yes I know but these have been perfect) $240

Mopar performance black fabricated valve covers $300 asking $200 has blemish on back corner

Hooker headers $400 asking $225 been scraped few times

Air gap manifold $300 asking $240

670 street avenger $375. Asking $275 for carb with feed line kit and bracket
Dual feed line set up blue anodized
Kegs billet throttle return bracket $70

Msd e-curve distributor $375 asking $250

I have receipts and manuals for almost everything too.

So first off am I being reasonable with my prices if I go that route? If so that's $2200 in parts.

Additional parts known to be in the motor is the 403 Lunati cam, cloyes true roller, arp main studs, fabricated aftermarket oil pan, Milodon water pump, and 340 air cleaner set up. If I were to sell the motor carb to pan full turn key since I can't use it on my bb what's a realistic price to ask for this motor? Also if I sell the parts at $2200 wouldn't a grand for a built low mileage 340 short block be reasonable? If so that's $3300 right there. I apologize in advance for the novel length post but I always appreciate you guys knowledgeable help. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 356
IMHO, hard to say even if people can hear/see it run and run a compression test, etc. There are enough unknowns in the history. All you can do is put it up for sale complete and see.

Yeah I was going to take all kind of videos of it. Cold start, idle, WOT as well as oil pressure. Do a compression test and maybe $75 for 3 pulls might not be a bad idea

Another avenue of sale could be getting the VIN off of the block and adding it to the Lost and Found section as well. Of course it may not have been an A-body 340, but you never know. Somebody out there may be looking for it. I just located the 383 for a car of mine that was removed from it around 20 years ago.

It cost me $2000 + to have my engine set up and balanced,cam degreed and I supplied all of the parts. That sounds pretty reasonable

I tend to deal in a lot of used and core engines and used parts. Honestly - you won't get anywhere near .50/dollar for anything used. Probably much less after being beaten up by a dozen tire kickers. I would suggest you plan to build the 440, and recoup what you can after. Drive the car and tell people the engine's for sale. I'd be much more likely to pay higher dollar for something I can ride in and see/hear run. Otherwise - it's just money I'm paying to take a risk that what's there is good, and done to a level I'm happy with. Just my thoughts anyway.

Yeah honestly I'm going to get the short block and machine work done with what I have in the budget now. I want the 340 to fund twisted wedge heads and good quality rockers. I'd love for someone to fly down here drive the car hear the motor and decide then.

like he said, a running engine is a key!! receipts from the shop and all receipts for parts help. I bet getting 50 cents on the dollar for the parts will be a struggle. yes a dyno would also help no doubt.
IF you are a respected member of the local mopar club, that is the ticket to sell it at a more fair price, than randon ad on CL.!!!!

sellng a good engine is like selling a car that has had ALL the body and paint work done........the prospective tire kicker asks: whats under that paint!???? they ask..as the sound of the music from "Deliverance" runs through your brain!??????

Yeah I understand and in my case I have absolutely nothing to hide. I welcome anyone to drive it hear it inspect it with a camera or anything. Yeah I might check around through the local mopar club here too. Maybe even place an ad through them as well. I really would rather not go through craigslist. It may be weird but I'd kind of like to see what the motor is going into and maybe see a cool install thread when it gets transplanted lol.

That's the other route I was considering. I already have the built small block 727, aluminum heads I'd have ported, etc. I just figured in my head a built 416 won't live as long as a stock stroke built 440.

whats wrong with it, that's making you decide to do a 440? Weekend cruiser, in San Antonio, where can you open it up, there's so much traffic period there.

I second RRR, stroke it. You have everything there already for the 340. Not sure I'd agree a 416 would be short lived. You can keep the compression and cam choice reasonable and have a very torquey motor compared to a stock 440.

That's the other route I was considering. I already have the built small block 727, aluminum heads I'd have ported, etc. I just figured in my head a built 416 won't live as long as a stock stroke built 440.

That's like sayin a 383 is short lived compared to any other longer stroke big block.

Nothing wrong with it. It actually runs great but I've gotten used to it. After a year the holy crap this is fast has gone to yeah it's pretty quick so it's time to make it faster. I picked up a 440 for cheap and figured I'd build it but now I'm wondering if it would in fact be cheaper to stroke it. I guess I never really looked into what a stroked 340 can do. I see twisted wedge claims they get just over 600hp with their heads on a not very wild built 440 lower end

Stroked 340/360s think they're big blocks, if built right a lot of power in a light weight package.

Car has a 8 3/4 rear end with 3.55, built manual valve body 727 that probably won't hold 600hp, has SS rear leaf springs that I might convert to caltracs, and subframe connectors. I'm pretty sure mini tubs might be on the list shortly.

Honestly I know myself. I have a problem called never fast enough. I don't want to spend all that money on stroking a small block when I can build this 440 and might look at the 440 source 512 kit. I know it will be more money to go that route btw lol. At this point I guess I'm kind of putting feelers out there on what I can expect to get for my current motor set up.

that's cool. Like most have said, value is not high when used. All you can do is try the market and see what bites.

Yeah unfortunately I know there's no way to recoup what was spent to build. I've already had some pm's on the parts I listed in this thread so if I do parting it is probably the way I'll go. Plus I can finally see what pistons and rods I have in the motor before I sell the short block.

Get a blower or a turbo set up.

I'd get what you have dyno tuned. What feel like OMG might become OMFG when all set up properly (and I'm not saying it might not be all ready).

Responded to all the pm's and yes those subframe connectors are already in there. They went in when the 340 went in thankfully.

-
Back