Selling on Ebay and Paypal

-

kewing

Reaction score
This is more of search for info. I've purchased a ton off stuff off of ebay with paypal and have been thinking about selling my car on ebay. Was wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks about selling an auto on there. Like shipping, Any horror stories, scams to watch out for ect would be great.

As for paypal, can you link it to a bank account to make sure the funds that are being put in there are legit and useable. I'm more of a cash buyer/seller and am looking to step into the 21st century. haha.

Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've bought and sold several small items on Ebay, using Pay Pal. -- I'd be nervous about dealing with a "Big Buck" item, and therefore, the only way that I would do it is -- The buyer would have to come to my house with cash, and I would have that checked, at a bank, before I would release the item.

I sell and buy on ebay,i stopped selling on ebay because of there high fees,theres other sights like moparts or facebook that don't charge anything,paypal is good I use it all the time,as long as the money is in pay pal,then you put it in the bank,cash is always good,just watch out for scammers

-- The buyer would have to come to my house with cash, and I would have that checked, at a bank, before I would release the item. --
-- Another reason for coming to the house is -- The buyer would look over and drive the car, and therefore no excuses or other B.S., later - Like -"you misrepresented the car etc."- Take it or leave it - if you take it . then IT IS YOURS period. -- Of course, I would recommend, in my listing, that they look before they bid.

I sold a couple cars and several motorcycles to out of state buyers on flea bay.

There is no magic.

List it as is.
Be very descriptive especially with problems.
Lots of good pics especially of the problem areas.
Make shipping their responsibility, but offer to help coordinate.
Make them drop a $500 NR deposit at the end of the listing if they are the winning bidder.
Use paypal for the deposit.
Never go outside of ebay to talk unless your comfortable with talking on the phone.
Basically make it the responsibility of the buyer to look it over and buy it.
If they want to send a cashiers check or money order, make them wait till it clears before you release the car.

Most people who buy cars sight unseen, understand that there is some risk involved.

Good luck.

Open, or designate a bank account solely for Paypal, and don't keep any money of value, (more than $20ish) in there. When you decide to maker a purchase, transfer just sufficient funds into the PPal acct.

When you receive a payment into your Paypal, immediately transfer the funds to another account that Paypal has no record of.

Paypal can't take money from an account with no money, and can't take money from a
void credit card.

DO NOT link any credit card to Paypal, if you have, or do, immediately cancel the card.

DO NOT just go to Paypal and remove/delete the C/C number, as it's still on record for hackers, or un-authorized use. Cancel the card.

If Paypal is already linked to your active Bank account, either make that the sole Paypal account and transfer all funds to a NEW "ACTIVE DAILY" account, again, just supplying Paypal with a different/new bank account # still leaves your reg active account number in their system for hackers, or un-authorized use..

Keep Paypal ignorant of where your money truly is, follow these simple guidelines will help you avoid the "PAYPAL RIPPED ME OFF" scenerio

hope it helps

I sell and buy on ebay,i stopped selling on ebay because of there high fees,theres other sights like moparts or facebook that don't charge anything,paypal is good I use it all the time,as long as the money is in pay pal,then you put it in the bank,cash is always good,just watch out for scammers

X2 Ebay rapes its customers . If you stop and think , how many people buy/sell on Ebay at
10 percent and that's not to mention extra add ons like bold lettering etc. Face book
Craigslist ,even racing junk , there is also a forum on here for selling none Mopar stuff.
Paypal is safe and can be sent to any account you set up.

I sold a car with accurate description and 25 pics close ups of the bad areas with local pick up. The buyer arrived claimed it was not the car pictured and drove off. I got stuck with the fees and did not sell so I would never do it again.

I sold a car with accurate description and 25 pics close ups of the bad areas with local pick up. The buyer arrived claimed it was not the car pictured and drove off. I got stuck with the fees and did not sell so I would never do it again.

Your prob was with the buyer, not the system. imo

That's BS right up there ^

There are no listing (insertion) fees on E-bay, if your vehicle does not sell.

If it does sell you pay $60.00 if it's under $2,000.00 and $125.00 if it's over $2,000.00.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html

Not cool to mislead people.

The car sold for 2500 and due to their rules I could not do anything about it. I filed non paying bidder. They would allow a relist but what would that have done in the end? Under the rules I could not leave him a negative feedback but he could me as he threatened when telling me he would not work with me. I even offered to let him have it for 2000 just to close the deal. He offered 1000 to which I said no and he just drove away. Listing fee is somewhere around 20 bucks also.

True and not misleading anyone

That's BS right up there ^

There are no listing (insertion) fees on E-bay, if your vehicle does not sell.

If it does sell you pay $60.00 if it's under $2,000.00 and $125.00 if it's over $2,000.00.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html

Not cool to mislead people.

Right from the page you linked. Copy and paste

Insertion fee

You may be charged a listing (or insertion) fee for listing a vehicle. If applicable, you're charged one insertion fee per listing.

Successful listing fee

If your vehicle sells, you may be charged a successful listing fee if:

You receive a bid on an auction-style listing without a reserve price

You receive a bid that meets your reserve price on an auction-style listing with a reserve price

A buyer clicks Buy It Now in a listing offering a fixed price

You accept a Best Offer

The amount of the successful listing fee depends on if you're a low- or high-volume seller, and the vehicle price.

The vehicle price is the final bid amount, Buy It Now price, or accepted Best Offer.

There's no additional fee charged on the actual sale of the vehicle after it sells. However, you'll be charged a successful listing fee regardless of whether you carry out the sale with the buyer.

Under listing fees for low volume sellers in Cars & Trucks, RVs & Campers, and Commercial Trucks. LISTING FEES ARE FREE!

As far as the sale goes.

Key word was MAY CHARGE. All it takes is a simple e-mail with an explanation and they are more that happy to work with people.

Sounds like you bailed on the system rather that giving it the 2nd and 3rd chances they offer.
On you that you didn't go through pay-pal and get a deposit.

Your left out the details of the story so what do you expect? I think e-bay is a great place to sell and buy. Especially rare and hard to find parts.

So yea I defended it.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Give it another shot.

Under listing fees for low volume sellers in Cars & Trucks, RVs & Campers, and Commercial Trucks. LISTING FEES ARE FREE!

As far as the sale goes.

Key word was MAY CHARGE. All it takes is a simple e-mail with an explanation and they are more that happy to work with people.

Sounds like you bailed on the system rather that giving it the 2nd and 3rd chances they offer.
On you that you didn't go through pay-pal and get a deposit.

Your left out the details of the story so what do you expect? I think e-bay is a great place to sell and buy. Especially rare and hard to find parts.

So yea I defended it.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Give it another shot.

I still sell parts from time to time just dont list a car.

Thanks for all the help everyone i super appreciate the help. I have my car posted on here, FB buy/sell groups, and has been on craigslist. I get a lot of tire kickers or people that have to sell this or that first etc. I think the fact that its 12 degrees in MI now is the issue. haha.

i just want to keep all my options open for selling and hadn't ever sold anything on ebay before.

I sold a couple cars and several motorcycles to out of state buyers on flea bay.

There is no magic.

List it as is.
Be very descriptive especially with problems.
Lots of good pics especially of the problem areas.
Make shipping their responsibility, but offer to help coordinate.
Make them drop a $500 NR deposit at the end of the listing if they are the winning bidder.
Use paypal for the deposit.
Never go outside of ebay to talk unless your comfortable with talking on the phone.
Basically make it the responsibility of the buyer to look it over and buy it.
If they want to send a cashiers check or money order, make them wait till it clears before you release the car.

Most people who buy cars sight unseen, understand that there is some risk involved.

Good luck.

On shipping what if they buy the car sight unseen, money clears but they are not in person to hand the title over. Would it be ok to mail it to them?

If they pay in full and the check clears then I put the title in an envelope and put it in the glove box. I have also mailed the title before. I let that be their option, but for sure have the money in hand and cleared, before you release anything.

They are responsible for shipping so what usually happens is once the sale is done and the deposit is made I tell them to get the balance, in a check, in the mail or wire the money.

While I wait for the check/once the money is in hand, I have them schedule the shipper, and make sure that I tell them to have the shipper call me several times as he is making his way here. That way I am prepared. I do this in case I have to leave a job to meet them.

When the shipper arrives you hand him the keys and sign some paperwork. Make sure to take pipctures of the car as its being loaded and a few of each side while its on the trailer.

Then I contact the buyer and tell him thank you and your vehicle is on the way.

Good bye and never call me again. :D

-
Back