Sending unit refurb?

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Changed out the fuel tank and sending unit today. Is this worth saving? Badly rusted. Pictures don't do it justice. Was going to get this one refurbed so I didn't have to buy a meter matcher. Don't think that's going to happen.
20180127_184931.jpg
20180127_184922.jpg
20180127_184814.jpg
20180127_184752.jpg
20180127_121448.jpg
20180127_120916.jpg
20180127_120858.jpg

I’m not sure about refurbing, hopefully others will chime in. But I’m curious what you mean by meter matcher? I’ve not heard of that but sounds interesting.

Changed out the fuel tank and sending unit today. Is this worth saving? Badly rusted. Pictures don't do it justice. Was going to get this one refurbed so I didn't have to buy a meter matcher. Don't think that's going to happen.View attachment 1715135033 View attachment 1715135034 View attachment 1715135035 View attachment 1715135036 View attachment 1715135037 View attachment 1715135038 View attachment 1715135039
Check out posts on John Wolf Company... some FABOers have sent their units to him for refurbishing and we’re very pleased with his work. Hope this helps...
Take care,
318MG

I don't know
I’m not sure about refurbing, hopefully others will chime in. But I’m curious what you mean by meter matcher? I’ve not heard of that but sounds interesting.
I don't know about the sending unit, but if that's the factory lock ring clean it up and reuse it, far superior than any repo ring available use it for no leaks.

Check out posts on John Wolf Company... some FABOers have sent their units to him for refurbishing and we’re very pleased with his work. Hope this helps...
Take care,
318MG
Id love to get it refurbished. Just wondering if this one is worth trying?

I have not personally used one. Several on here have and it seems to get good results. Search it.

I had mine refurbished by Tri-Starr. Might have been Tri-star radiator. They're on the internet. Can't find my receipt for an address. Did a real nice job, replaced float with a nice used one. Cost was $150.00 . Chinese reproduction was $110. I avoid the chinese if possible.

that is not a 73 oem sender.looks like a repop.it looks nothing like my 73 orig. unit.

I had mine refurbished by Tri-Starr. Might have been Tri-star radiator. They're on the internet. Can't find my receipt for an address. Did a real nice job, replaced float with a nice used one. Cost was $150.00 . Chinese reproduction was $110. I avoid the chinese if possible.

stay away from this guy Dan OHora did mine over it leaked where he welded the pipe on and he put a cheap piece of junk sending unit on that would not even think of fitting the factory plug the idiot told me to cut my new wire harness glad I never because it failed a bench test before I put it on then he sent it to me as a new piece and I got nailed at the boarder for fees .

The sender did change in later year models ( I forget what year ) and that design is what the aftermarket reproduces and lists for all models. I found that same sender in 73 and 75 Valiants. In both, the gauge would stay up near full for days, then start falling toward 1/4 in a hurry. Then 1/4 to empty seemed about right. Today, based on all I've read here, I believe that was pretty much the norm' for this sender and accompanying 13 ohm gauge. The earlier sender and 20 ohm gauge worked much better. Restore the earlier sender and attach to 13 ohm gauge? Who knows? Might still need the meter match.

The sender did change in later year models ( I forget what year ) and that design is what the aftermarket reproduces and lists for all models. I found that same sender in 73 and 75 Valiants.
Yeah as far as I can tell my tank and sender had never been out. One post won't convince me otherwise.

Good news is fuel gauge works! Bad news as expected is I put 10 gals in it and it shows little under half a tank. Meter Match or figure it out and live with it?

We don't have a low fuel warning light so a few gallon cushion when we notice the needle near E is a good thing.

Exactly. Go 150 miles and fill up, lol.
Of course that means I have to install the correct speedo gear. It's a little off......

repops are $30 on Ebay. I got one and would test it for you but I installed in 2 weeks ago. Have not tried it yet. Not sure if it used generic GM Ohms or Chrysler....wasn't that important to me at the time, been driving a company truck for 3 years with no gas guage now. Odometer hits 250 and im looking for gas.

Yep. Put the $30 repop in it. Didn't matter that much to me either. What did matter was the gobs of brown iron residue and little bits of rust. The inside of the tank was scary. It's all back together no leaks. Thanks.

If you put an aftermarket sending unit in be sure the pickup tube reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank

-
Back