serpentine conversion recommendation

-
My recommendation is don't do it.
I was just coming on to say just the same.
One of the advantages of separate belts is that you rarely lose em all, and you have a better chance of getting where you're going without consequences when one of 3 or 4 belts break, but when your only belt goes you're screwed.
On my older stuff I've lost 1 of my alternator belts but there was a 2nd one. Or my ps belt or when my alternator belt went I still had one pulling my water pump so I wouldn't overheat.
I get cars towed in all the time that people can't steer, they run the battery dead, AND they overheat because they blew the only belt the car has....

I was just coming on to say just the same.
One of the advantages of separate belts is that you rarely lose em all, and you have a better chance of getting where you're going without consequences when one of 3 or 4 belts break, but when your only belt goes you're screwed.
On my older stuff I've lost 1 of my alternator belts but there was a 2nd one. Or my ps belt or when my alternator belt went I still had one pulling my water pump so I wouldn't overheat.
I get cars towed in all the time that people can't steer, they run the battery dead, AND they overheat because they blew the only belt the car has....
I’m not trying to start an argument here or anything, however with that mentality why don’t you take your new vehicle and convert it from a tried and true, far more reliable serpentine system to a inferior and sub par v-belt setup. There’s a reason manufacturers don’t use v-belts anymore. And it isn’t cost.

Also. What are the chances people are breaking serpentine belts or throwing them??? Slim to none. I’ve got a 20yr old truck with 299k miles that has the original serpentine belt. There isn’t a v-belt that would ever fare that well. People aren’t just running up and down the road ruining serpentine belts. People don’t carry spares in the trunk or glovebox like they used to have to either.

I put a CVF 8 rib belt kit on my 64 cuda and had no problems with installation everything lined right up but I don't have p/s or a/c

20231209_093923.jpg

Ok nevermind. You got your mind made up. But then again I wasn't the first one that said "don't".
But you better get a lottery ticket if you have gotten that kind of life from an OEM belt. Of any kind. And then go buy a new one and at least have it under your seat.

Ok nevermind. You got your mind made up. But then again I wasn't the first one that said "don't".
But you better get a lottery ticket if you have gotten that kind of life from an OEM belt. Of any kind. And then go buy a new one and at least have it under your seat.
Like I said I wasn’t trying to argue. We can just agree to disagree on this topic.

I'm in the process of swapping the original 318 engine with a 1973 360. I wanted to convert the belt system to a serpentine system. Has power steering and no AC. I also wanted to upgrade the charging system in the process. Looking for a recommendation on a kit and what exactly is needed to accomplish this. I'll be replacing the power steering pump in the process also. I believe this means getting the reverse direction water pump but wanted to confirm exactly what I need. Thanks in advance.

Brian
If your looking for everything in one kit go with March Performance.
Here it is on my 318 and it’s absolutely awesome.
1703347050574.jpeg

I have the Billet Specialties kit on my 416 in a 66 Barracuda. It’s definitely nice but $$$

IMG_4031.jpeg

-
Back