serpentine OEM System for '65 barracuda?

-

one mile

Reaction score
I would like to install some type of oem Serpentine Belt system on my Daughters 65 Barracuda ( air, power steering and brakes) and keep the factotry 273 that is in it due to fresh re-build. Has anyone tried this? any info welcome. It is a factory '65 273 commando motor. Thanks, Tim

I have Fab Skills....maybe machine a plate to adapt the later style Water Pump to the 273's stock timming Cover? I do know that it needs to be reverse flow also the Fuel Pump maybe an issue. I had hope that someone else has tried this same swap and could shed a little light on it..........Thanks, Tim

From what I looked into the early dakotas before the magnum engine, used a serpintine belt setup and is close to a bolt-on as possible. It used the standard LA engine setup.

I was gonna say--why use GM when the Mopar stuff might fit.

Frankly, I see no advantage. Make sure you use the correct water pump, they turn the opposite direction

THANKS amx364 !, Going for the Pro Street / updated look and thats what see likes so that is what I am going for. 67Dart273 there is nothing wrong with stock at all (would save me work and money) just want somthing different. Thanks, Tim

amx364, GREAT! :thumblef: what years are the LA engines in? I called the Bone-Yard/Junk-Yard and they needed to know the years that the LA came in because they didn't have it listed "LA" or "Magnum." I guess we can't expect them to know everything. Would you happen to know the years? I'm trying to do this as soon as possible to keep my Daughter happy. Any info possible would be helpful! thanks, Tim

38864854031_large.jpg

http://ramchargercentral.com/technical-discussion/serpentine-converstion-87-rc/
91 Dodge Dakota 318

From what I looked into the early dakotas before the magnum engine, used a serpintine belt setup and is close to a bolt-on as possible. It used the standard LA engine setup.

yes they did, 1991 was the only year, but the 3.9 engines have the same front end accesories

I think all of this is great and will save me ALOT of work ! I thank you all ! anything else that ANYONE comes up with is welcome ! Thanks, Tim :cheers:

according to link enclosed under picture v-6 parts do not interchange, I believe.
edited: I also went with V belts instead.

Mount Small denso alternator down low, thatll get some heads scratched. Balances out the motor if you dont have power steering.

Will V-8 Magnum accessories not bolt up? I have seen photos of the Magnum timing cover and it looks like the same bolt pattern. You may need that since it has vanes that match the Magnum water pump rotation.

One question is why go serpentine? Besides the effort, it may decrease reliability. The main advantage is the shiny bling if you use some after-market kits. Many cars have problems with the serpentine belt coming off. The belt is very sensitive to mis-alignment, compared to V-belts. Losing one non-critical accessory (p.s. pump pulley in my case) can leave you stranded.

You are right Bill, V Belts are better in my opinion but I wanted the "Updated" look for my daughters car. I have now dropped back to trying to find the Saginaw Power steering pump bracket for the cast Iron water pump. I now have everything cleaned and painted up "Pretty" with new hoses and all and now my brackets don't fit as they need to ! my fault really. Just do not know mopars but that is what she wanted. LOL ! what can I say ? I have learned a lot on this new adventure. Hey, you have any brackets laying around? Thanks, Tim :D

The later Magnum timing covers have extra bosses to mount the bracket to run the serpentine set up. The cover also lacks a boss/pad to use a mechanical fuel pump. I'm in the middle of installing a Edelbrock electric fuel pump on my carb car that I instLled a Magnum engine in.

IF the earlier LA serpentine set up has a mechanical fuel pump, your in biz. I don't think it the case though. It could be possible, I do not know though.

Thanks rumblefish360, A Hot Rod is never really done. It is a constant "I can make that better" Ha Ha ! My 17 year old Daughter is all over me to get it on the road so the big push is on ! I am having issues finding the Saginaw PS Pump Bkt.to fit the cast Iron Water pump but I will have plenty to do. Wish me Luck ! Tim

... I am having issues finding the Saginaw PS Pump Bkt.to fit the cast Iron Water pump ...
I vaguely recall that question coming up and the answer being that the Saginaw was never used on the iron w.p. I changed to the later alum w.p. in my 65 273 and had to buy both a Federal p.s. pump and brackets for it (Bouchillon, I recall). A Saginaw setup might have been a better choice (more efficient and common I read). I don't suggest you follow, since the 1" thicker w.p. caused numerous other problems (pulley alignment, ...). Any reason you can't use the original TRW pump? Rebuild kits are cheap. I rebuilt mine before I found I couldn't mount it to the alum w.p. (can use it on my 65 Newport). If you change to Saginaw or Federal, you will need different p.s. hoses, plus the mating fittings on your p.s. gearbox. I did.

Already have Saginaw Pump , Hoses and Firm feel stage 3 Box, THEN found out my Brackets would not work. LOL !

... THEN found out my Brackets would not work. LOL !
Are you sure you can't adapt it to work? As I recall, besides being ~1" thinner, the only other main difference of the cast-iron water pump is that it has a little triangle sticking out with a hole that the TRW p.s. pump bracket uses. If that triangle doesn't interfere, perhaps all you need is 1" spacers (Ace Hardware has purty chrome ones) to attach the Saginaw p.s. bracket. If it does bump, cut off the triangle.

Of course, nothing is simple. The left-side lower hose may run into the Saginaw pump or bracket, it may be hard to align the p.s. pulley with your crank and other pulleys, plus the p.s. pumps came w/ various pulleys of different axial offset, ... If you change to the aluminum w.p., you will have other pulley issues and need to change the radiator, and will lose your timing tab (unless update timing cover like I did).

-
Back