Setup for 273

-

Fury

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my plan for this year is to modify my 1965 stock 273 2bbl with four on the floor :burnout:
now some questions:

I have a edelbrock D4B intakte manifold - thats it

stock exhaust manifold but 2,5" tti exhaust

Which cam? Heard the Isky E-4 cam closest so far to the original Formula S?
Where can i order it? If i search E-4 at summit only one shows up but it's for ford?
to stupid to find one:sign3:

Which carb?
Any other changes? stronger valve springs or something?

cheers julian

The Isky E-4 is a good cam for a stock 273. A 600 Edelbrock carb is a good choice as is a electronic ignition thus eliminating the points. Setting the advance curve is another cheap way to add performance. I have a Pertronix ignition in one of my Darts. Headers and free flowing exhaust is a plus but headers aren't completely necessary for a spirited street car. Use search to find out more info here at FABO. Many of us have built 273's with good results. Check out my build thread just below this text. tmm

I see Summit doesn't handle the E4. I bought mine from Flatlander Racing but now I see they are out of business. You may have to contact Isky direct.

TMM nailed it on the cam & carb, don't forget the high compression pistons though. The bone stock 67 273 commando was rated at 235 HP off the showroom floor. With free flow dual exhaust and some tuning you should have a nice runner. Lots of options with this build but better bang for your buck with other motors. 318-360 for instance.
DR---:coffee2:
Edit: If you do a cam change be sure to match all components, springs-retainers-pushrods ect ect. The cam manufacturers will have recommendations for same.

I found the E4 on Isky's website. Page 122
[ame]http://www.iskycams.com/downloads/2016IskyCatalog.pdf[/ame]

thanks for the link TMM.

what a nice price i expected it more expensive.

will search for more setup

cheers

I'd be very inclined to this cam.

Crane Hydraulic #693941

In my opinion it would be a better cam than that Isky for a few reasons. Much wider LSA. Any cam is going to act much larger in that tiny ci engine. The wider LSA will improver your idle and low RPM manners. It has the same duration on the intake but more on the exhaust. It also has a touch more lift.

Ditto on the pistons. In my experience, even using re-pop domed pistons, static CR is never what was advertised due to variations in deck height, piston height, dome volume, head gasket thickness and diameter and chamber volume. All of these measurements tend to deviate from spec in the direction of lower CR. In my build, I only got 9.6:1 using domed pistons.

I can only imagine how low the static CR would be with flat pistons. Cam size and CR go hand in hand. Later intake valve closing event lowers dynamic compression. So with a bigger cam, you need higher static CR. Not that the E-4 is a that large a cam, but you should compute your dynamic CR and make sure it's a good match.

I'd be very inclined to this cam.

Crane Hydraulic #693941

In my opinion it would be a better cam than that Isky for a few reasons. Much wider LSA. Any cam is going to act much larger in that tiny ci engine. The wider LSA will improver your idle and low RPM manners. It has the same duration on the intake but more on the exhaust. It also has a touch more lift.

Tmm seems to be really happy with the Isky cam
Overlap is the major effect in idle and power curve in which duration and LSA make up. Anytime I put a 108 cam in my desktop dyno in a 273 it did wonderful things to the powerband.
If it was me I'd look for a cam with way more lift at least .450 and same or smaller duration.

Tmm seems to be really happy with the Isky cam
Overlap is the major effect in idle and power curve in which duration and LSA make up. Anytime I put a 108 cam in my desktop dyno in a 273 it did wonderful things to the powerband.
If it was me I'd look for a cam with way more lift at least .450 and same or smaller duration.

I'm sure that a smaller LSA would make a little more peak and a little more aggressive power band curve. That don't always make for a fun vehicle on the street. I've always found a less lopey idle and a broader powerband makes for a fun street car but that's my opinion. Some people like the lumpy bumpy, peaky powerband stuff.

The cam I posted has a .454/.480 lift with a 1:5 ratio rocker.

I'm sure that a smaller LSA would make a little more peak and a little more aggressive power band curve. That don't always make for a fun vehicle on the street. I've always found a less lopey idle and a broader powerband makes for a fun street car but that's my opinion. Some people like the lumpy bumpy, peaky powerband stuff.

The cam I posted has a .454/.480 lift with a 1:5 ratio rocker.

I'm just saying you got to take duration into account along with LSA.
The cam you recommend has 54 degrees of overlap
The Isky has 42 degrees before you take lash into account the Isky should have the smoother idle.
But your cam would give a good bump in power.

I too have the isky E-4 in my hi-po 273. I also installed (recommend) comp cams direct lube solid lifters too. Just as added ins. for cam and lifters. I also installed crane 1.6 rockers aswell. This little motor runs GREAT! LD4B intake & 500 eddy tuned via wide band will catch people off gaurd! I got my e-4 from summit about 2 uears ago. They drop shipped it from isky if that helps.

Has anyone ran the 625 Street demon? I've been looking into that carb and a edelbrock performer ( not RPM ) for a stock rebuild. I was looking at the street demon due to the fact that you can adjust the secondary flapper valve very early to adjust for the 625 size.

He has the best intake manifold for the 64-65 273 heads. The best carb is an original 273 AFB, after that a 500 or 600 cfm Edelbrock works fine. No need to replace pistons in a 2 barrel 273. They are only about .020 in the hole and about 9 to one compression. As for the cam, I'd never go from mechanical to hydraulic. The Isky E-4 is a great cam for a 273, plenty of torque and rpm. Try to find a smaller off the shelf solid cam. As for springs, any that have the seat and open recommendations will be good. I usually just use 340 springs.

thank you for the replies so far.
I try to get a original carter carb. And replace the cam later

bringing this theme up again because wintertime is tooltime. :) Planing to replace the cam.

installed the edelbrock d4b manifold and a 500cfm carb on my stock 273 a few days ago.
But with stock cam the gas consumption went way to high:realcrazy:

Also wanted to set valve lash but found out that someone installed already hydraulic lifters.
Now I want to keep them, therefor which cam to do advocate now?
(shifter tranny)
will the e4 solid still fit? or comp cam CL20-208-2 with timing 252/252, Lift .425/ .425?

regard from germany

Also wanted to set valve lash but found out that someone installed already hydraulic lifters.
Now I want to keep them, therefor which cam to do advocate now?
If you put in a new camshaft it is 100% REQUIRED to put in new lifters. If you put old lifters with a new cam (or with a different cam), the old lifters will destroy the new cam.

The lifters wear to match the cam, and that cannot be changed. It is OK to put new lifters on an older cam, but not a new cam with older lifters.

So your situation is open to a change to solid lifters if you want.

Has anyone ran the 625 Street demon? I've been looking into that carb and a edelbrock performer ( not RPM ) for a stock rebuild. I was looking at the street demon due to the fact that you can adjust the secondary flapper valve very early to adjust for the 625 size.

I'm a die hard Holley fan but have been involved with 2 demon carburetors over the years and both of them were very problematic to the point that both of them were replaced.

If you want a Holley based carb go with a HP series Holley or a quickfuel. I've had great luck with proform as well.

Please,Isky E4...These 273's respond to common sense ...near stock...I would stay ,with a Isky.. Solid ,reliable,
and b.s. free ....

-
Back