Setup for a 440 4spd in my 67 Fish

-

moparman111

Reaction score
Hi am currently having body work and paint being done on my 67. Once I get it back I will be putting it back together. Here are a list of items that I have already stock piled to swap a 440 into a 67 4spd fish.

1. 372 Bell
2. TTI 1 3/4 headers
3. DC spool type K-member
4. mini starter
5. MP P5249151 torsion bars
6. B-body spool motor mounts (4001747 and 4001746)

My question is in reference to the torque bar I should buy. Some say the TTI torque bar will work and others say it wont. I have read so many have given up and gone with an automatic due to clearance issues. I don't want to go that route but I also do not want to buy unusable parts. Can fellow member share their information on what they used to get it all to work with a 4spd? As always your helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Yes sir, I was going to put z-bar but thought others would correct me, LOL.

I don't know what from TTI will work, but with that bell the repop A-body parts from Brewers should work (not sure if they will work with the headers and starter). I have always built a custom setup after getting all the parts in the car.

Mr. Lusk I emailed and discussed with Wayne @ Brewer's to ask what one they would recommend. He flat out stated they do not have one that will work with TTI headers. He stated that TTI makes one to use. But I have heard people complain it doesn't fit correctly.

Then it's the headers. Like I said, we always made our own out of parts and pieces we had lying around. Hydraulic is also a way to go. We also ended up moving both of my sons' back toward the firewall and using a single ball stud on the bell and a sliding piece on the frame side (like a B-body). The trick is to have both arms on the torque shaft roughly perpendicular to the corresponding rods at mid-travel.

I bought the clutch linkage from TTI. Although it needed some modification it works fine together with the headers.
Here´s pic of the ball stud that mounts to the bellhousing. I made a circle to highlight the mods that I´ve done to the bracket. Also modified the z-bar, sorry no pic for the moment but can be arranged if you´d like.

Attachments

• januari -09 samt motor installation 022 - Kopia.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 231
Swed, thanks for the photo and buyers perspective on the TTI linkage. According to TTI's instructions the mount needs to have one side ground down for clearance. I see that's what you circled. Other than that one modification did the alignment of z-bar work out nicely? If so I will order the Z-bar from TTI and its mount from Brewers.

Yes had to modify the ball stud bracket.
I had to modify the z bar also, I´ll see if I can take a clear photo of the z bar tomorrow (saturday).
I sat both the ball stud bracket and the z bar in a milling machine to do the job.

Pic of the mock up.

Attachments

• januari -09 samt motor installation 015 - Kopia.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 228
Swede, what bell are you using? I see you totally mocked up everything out of the car. I too want to go that route. Did you notice if you had any alignment issues once installed?

I bought the aluminum bell from a guy in Norway, I think its from Brewers.
No issues at all when mounting the engine in the car. Put it in the car the way you see it in the pic with driver side header mounted to the engine

The plan is to mount everything together then lower the car down over it all.

The reason I asked about the bell was I started to wonder if different bells had the ball stud mount hole in a slightly different location. Hence creating a slightly different angle for the z-bar and creating alignment issues.

To my knowledge there are two different ball stud arrangements on the bell. The big bell for the 143-tooth flywheel and 11" clutch only has one threaded hole for a ball stud to screw into (no bracket). The other bells have two holes, one in the same location as on the other bell and the other for another bracket bolt.

Here are some pics of the out of the box TTI Z-bar installed on my '67 Cuda. Well made piece that required a small tweak to get it to clear the edge of the starter. I basically straightened out the bends. This is a RB block, TTI 2" headers, Quicktime bellhousing, and an 833 trans. Works great with good geometry. You do have to trim the ball bracket per their instructions, no big deal though.

I like the feel and quick reaction of the mechanical Z-bar setup. Plus, they never leak, LOL.

Attachments

• DSC07425.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC07462.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 201
Great pics guys. I think I am going to go with a TTI bar and a Brewers bar mount. A little trimming and try it. Thank you for posting:)

-
Back