**sfi Approved Damper**

-
Nice budget build. Did that block come from my side yard?

Hey Dave,

No this one is based off a 318 Block. I still have that 360 Block you sold me! Gunna do a 360CI Budget build with that one also. Gunna use a Stock Crank, Scat Rods and KB107's in that one. I already have all the parts just need to get it balanced etc.

Get your Stroker going yet??

Hey Dave,

No this one is based off a 318 Block. I still have that 360 Block you sold me! Gunna do a 360CI Budget build with that one also. Gunna use a Stock Crank, Scat Rods and KB107's in that one. I already have all the parts just need to get it balanced etc.

Get your Stroker going yet??

It's ready to go. I'm saving to take it to Brian to put on the dyno. Been thinking of maybe skipping the engine dyno and put it on a chassis dyno later on when I have the funds. I just got the Dana in and ordered a drive shaft.

It's ready to go. I'm saving to take it to Brian to put on the dyno. Been thinking of maybe skipping the engine dyno and put it on a chassis dyno later on when I have the funds. I just got the Dana in and ordered a drive shaft.

Good to hear on the Dana!

I like the engine dyno because if there are any problems to be addressed like oil leaks on the 410 I did. They can easily be fixed. I couldn't Imagine trying to clean up the mess it made while in the car............nightmare!
I took my Supercharged Long Travel sand car into a Chassis Dyno and the guy was gettin on it REALLY HARD before he had the tune dialed in and ended up taking out a ring land running lean! I seen the pieces fly out the headers on fire when it happened. Man was I pissed that day! Guy cost me an engine rebuild!:angry7: Guy didn't care one bit either! and I still had to pay him.

Good to hear on the Dana!

I like the engine dyno because if there are any problems to be addressed like oil leaks on the 410 I did. They can easily be fixed. I couldn't Imagine trying to clean up the mess it made while in the car............nightmare!
I took my Supercharged Long Travel sand car into a Chassis Dyno and the guy was gettin on it REALLY HARD before he had the tune dialed in and ended up taking out a ring land running lean! I seen the pieces fly out the headers on fire when it happened. Man was I pissed that day! Guy cost me an engine rebuild!:angry7: Guy didn't care one bit either! and I still had to pay him.

ugh...:angry7:

Tracy,

Did you install yours also?

Not yet. I started to then saw how tight it was and figured I needed to find something to heat it with like you did. Then I got sidetracked by a buddy that needed a 727 rebuilt. So hopefully I'll be back on it wednesday or thursday as soon as I get done with the honey-doo list. LOL

Update...

I noticed when putting on the oil pan that the Damper was not up against the oil slinger/timing gear... so I ended up making a crank spacer so the Damper would push up against the oil slinger/crank gear and not hit the timing cover. Good thing I caught this. I dont know as of yet if the crank gear that is a CAT Gear Drive set up is thinner than the original crank gear is or if the Damper is a little shorter on the snout. I will take some measurements and post my findings.

Here is the spacer.....

Crank Spacer006.jpg

Crank Spacer 005.jpg

Crank Spacer009.jpg

Crank Spacer 008.jpg

Crank Spacer011.jpg

Crank Spacer004.jpg

On Crank Ready to Slide Back to Oil Slinger/Timing Gear
Crank Spacer002.jpg
Installed!
Crank Spacer010.jpg

Crank Spacer006.jpg

Crank Spacer 005.jpg

Crank Spacer009.jpg

Crank Spacer 008.jpg

Crank Spacer011.jpg

Crank Spacer004.jpg

Crank Spacer002.jpg

Crank Spacer010.jpg

Ok, this is what I found out.

The snout of the Damper is about .150 shorter than the other Damper that I have to compare it to.

The Spacer I made is .160 thick and I kissed the timing marks on the face of the timing cover with a file about .050, I checked the crank gear this time as I tightened up on the installation tool and made sure it was gonna press against the spacer I made. I had to use an Impact to get it on the rest of the way in the end. I could see and feel this time when it was snug as a bug against the crank gear. All the pulley's etc will line up fine. I couldn't measure the crank gear that is a CAT GEAR DRIVE because of the front cover being on already.

349 stroker etc 003.jpg

349 stroker etc 012.jpg

349 stroker etc 015.jpg

349 stroker etc 016.jpg

349 stroker etc 017.jpg

349 stroker etc 003.jpg

349 stroker etc 012.jpg

349 stroker etc 015.jpg

349 stroker etc 016.jpg

349 stroker etc 017.jpg

Humm... Why can't they just make these balancers the same size stock ones were???

No kidding.. I looked at Hughes site and they sell one from PRW but it looks like it is the THICKER version that most everybody has a bunch of problems with, alot worse than this one.

If you used an older timing cover without the timing marks on it, you could slide it right on but then you would have to either space the pulley out or have a different one made and use a timing pointer........billett????

I at least let everyone know what to expect and how to get around it if this damper is going to be used.

I still like the damper and if I use it again on another build, will know exactly what to do to make it work the first time!!!

So if you know a machinist or want to make your own spacer, the magic number so far is .210 as the thickness! Then you wouldn't need to kiss the timing marks off the cover. This is with the CAT gear drive, dont know about a regular chain set up.

UGH!! Seems no matter how much research you do on these things it's a crap shoot. According to all the information I found it should have been real close to the stock balancer dimensions. But, I installed it today and it is the exact opposite of yours. It has a .475" gap between it and the timing cover (I checked to make absolutely sure it was pulled up tight and it was) meaning it's going to throw my March serpentine pulleys way out of alignment. I have a buddy that'll machine the snout down for me so it's not a big deal but according to my measurements even if we take .425" off (I like to have at least a .040-.050" gap) it'll still put the bottom pulley out about 1/4" farther than the stock balancer does which means making a spacer for the fan pulley, spacing out the alternator and power steering pump. Along with that comes having to change fan styles because the Mopar viscosus (sp?) barely clears the radiator now so I'll probably have to go with a thin flex fan. And to top it off I indexed it and it's 3 degrees off.

The picture is with it pulled all the way in. It looks like more than .475" but that's what it measured.

Louis if you take yours off again for any reason do me a favor and measure how much the snout protrudes from the back of the balancer and let me know please. I'm curious if their made the same. They should be since their the same part # but you never know. Thanks, Tracy

I,m having similar issues with my AIE dampner(balancer)it,s aweful thick and was thinking useing the March pulleys off of my other car.The pullies won,t line up(water pump,crank)I may have to go with a electric water pump and electric fans?Oh the joy,s for the search for speed.:clock::-D

I,m having similar issues with my AIE dampner(balancer)it,s aweful thick and was thinking useing the March pulleys off of my other car.The pullies won,t line up(water pump,crank)I may have to go with a electric water pump and electric fans?Oh the joy,s for the search for speed.:clock::-D

Scott watch about what electric fan you use. The Moroso fan drive motors that they use for racing won't cool good on the street.

So, I'm guessing that if this damper was not used, and a TCI Rattler was used instead, there would be no issues... So I guess the question is, is all the headache worth the money saved?

So, I'm guessing that if this damper was not used, and a TCI Rattler was used instead, there would be no issues... So I guess the question is, is all the headache worth the money saved?

Yes I don't mind tinkering with stuff! My job is high stress and this
hobbie releases it for me, if I get frustrated I get in the dart and go SMOKE
a new camaro or vette. Haaaa

On The 318/ 402 build I will have going right at 4k in the whole thing.
And a few extra hours than normal... No big

I got over twice that in the 410.............. Better parts in that one!! Buttttt
this on should run it's azzzzzz off also!

That's cool. I was just simply asking, not talking bad about anything...I really admire this build because I REALLY want to build a stock stroke 318 screamer!!! I know about the 408, I have a touch over 11 grand in mine! I don't know where all the money goes! Might have been those damn Eddy heads! I should have used the complete Indy Head top end package!

Louis if you take yours off again for any reason do me a favor and measure how much the snout protrudes from the back of the balancer and let me know please. I'm curious if their made the same. They should be since their the same part # but you never know. Thanks, Tracy

I won't be home til Sunday I have the measurement u need
written down. You running a chain? Maybe the gear is the diff?

That's cool. I was just simply asking, not talking bad about anything...I really admire this build because I REALLY want to build a stock stroke 318 screamer!!! I know about the 408, I have a touch over 11 grand in mine! I don't know where all the money goes! Might have been those damn Eddy heads! I should have used the complete Indy Head top end package!

I am with you!! No offense taken.... Your motor sure is pertieee though!!
It does go fast with top dollar parts for sure!

I won't be home til Sunday I have the measurement u need
written down. You running a chain? Maybe the gear is the diff?

No hurry at all. I probably won't even do any more to mine until monday anyway. Yeah I'm running a ProGear chain from Hughes. I don't doubt it's some thicker than the Cat gear but not 3/4" thicker which is just about what it'd have to be since you had to have a .210" spacer just to get it to clear the T. cover and mine is out almost 1/2" past the T. cover with no spacer. It sounds like your PRW balancer is different dimensions than mine, but that's just my guess. Since I bought mine over a year ago and you just bought yours they would have had time to change something.

Tracy,
Is your pan still off? If it's on maybe look thru the fuel pump hole and see if you can wiggle the oil slinger. I thought mine was on all the way and it truly felt like it the first time I put it on, but it wasn't. It Fooled me good! It fits so snug that the last 1/2" I had to use an impact to get it against the spacer/ oil slinger and I boiled it the second time also.

-
Back