**sfi Approved Damper**

-
Tracy,
Is your pan still off? If it's on maybe look thru the fuel pump hole and see if you can wiggle the oil slinger. I thought mine was on all the way and it truly felt like it the first time I put it on, but it wasn't. It Fooled me good! It fits so snug that the last 1/2" I had to use an impact to get it against the spacer/ oil slinger and I boiled it the second time also.

Yeah the pans off and it had the oil slinger pulled up tight. At least it sure looked like it did. Maybe I'll try it again to make sure as it sure seems weird there is so much diff. between yours and mine when all the parts appear to be the same.

Tracy,

The measurement from the Back of the damper to the end of the snout is 1.215"

The PRO STREET damper that I spun in two on the 410 Measures 1.375" in the same manner.

Let us know what you find out!

Tracy,

The measurement from the Back of the damper to the end of the snout is 1.215"

The PRO STREET damper that I spun in two on the 410 Measures 1.375" in the same manner.

Let us know what you find out!

Thanks for the info Louis. Mine measures 1.715 from the back of the damper to the end of the snout. No wonder mine sticks out so far. That's exactly 1/2" difference. Apparently they've changed something. Why I don't know??

Thanks for the info Louis. Mine measures 1.715 from the back of the damper to the end of the snout. No wonder mine sticks out so far. That's exactly 1/2" difference. Apparently they've changed something. Why I don't know??

Dang that is weird....It will all work out though!! I think a phone call is in order to PRW. I will call them in the morning and see what they say!

Dang that is weird....It will all work out though!! I think a phone call is in order to PRW. I will call them in the morning and see what they say!

Yeah it is weird. Let me know what they say. Even if I have mine machined down to where it just barely clears the timing cover it'll still put the bottom pulley out about 1/4" too far which means I'll need to space everything (fan, alt., P.S. pump) that much and have to run a different style fan because the one on it now just barely clears the radiator.

Is there any additional information from PRW?
I like the balancer and I hope I can get one that is right without all the headaches, or that they can clarify on what the deal is.

I never thought an aftermarket balancer would be this much of a problem.

Is there any additional information from PRW?
I like the balancer and I hope I can get one that is right without all the headaches, or that they can clarify on what the deal is.

I never thought an aftermarket balancer would be this much of a problem.

Actually I've seen this sort of thing happen a few times. I don't know why these manufacturers can't go by stock dimensions?? And another big problem is places will upload a picture of something and it looks right then when you get it it's nowhere even close to what it looks right in the picture. Right now Hughes has a picture of a PRW balancer with the same part # and it looks totally different. Looks right in the picture but who knows since it's just a picture. I hope to be going up there (Hughes engines) before the week is out and look at them in person and report back.

Actually I've seen this sort of thing happen a few times. I don't know why these manufacturers can't go by stock dimensions?? And another big problem is places will upload a picture of something and it looks right then when you get it it's nowhere even close to what it looks right in the picture. Right now Hughes has a picture of a PRW balancer with the same part # and it looks totally different. Looks right in the picture but who knows since it's just a picture. I hope to be going up there (Hughes engines) before the week is out and look at them in person and report back.

Thats cool that you are able to go there. they build my 408 short block.. im all the way in Cali!

Yeah that's about frustrating man. I understand it's better to correct the problem yourself that deal with the headaches, but heck, the last thing someone should have to do is correct a brand new balancer.:angry7:
And it's a shame because it seems like a really nice part.

To compound the issue, I want to use the cat geardrive man! I want to know that the gear doesnt present an issue and that it's the same thickness as the typical chain gear.

I can understand fitting a rotating assembly...but a balancer?:-D
I would just throw a stocker on there, but I've killed a few of those already.
Not gonna fly.

Yeah that's about frustrating man. I understand it's better to correct the problem yourself that deal with the headaches, but heck, the last thing someone should have to do is correct a brand new balancer.:angry7:
And it's a shame because it seems like a really nice part.

To compound the issue, I want to use the cat geardrive man! I want to know that the gear doesnt present an issue and that it's the same thickness as the typical chain gear.

I can understand fitting a rotating assembly...but a balancer?:-D
I would just throw a stocker on there, but I've killed a few of those already.
Not gonna fly.

POS,

I used the cat gear drive and the tooth part of the gear is about the same thickness but the center hub part of the cam gear is thicker for sure. There is NOT enough room to run the fuel pump eccentric to run a mechanical fuel pump. You will need to run an electric set up. The front cover needs to be clearances along with the plate to clear the cover. 1 hole will also need to be drilled and tapped into the block.

I posted all of the issues with installing one on the 318/402............with pictures!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=84064&highlight=cat+gear+drive

POS,

I used the cat gear drive and the tooth part of the gear is about the same thickness but the center hub part of the cam gear is thicker for sure. There is NOT enough room to run the fuel pump eccentric to run a mechanical fuel pump. You will need to run an electric set up. The front cover needs to be clearances along with the plate to clear the cover. 1 hole will also need to be drilled and tapped into the block.

I posted all of the issues with installing one on the 318/402............with pictures!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=84064&highlight=cat+gear+drive

Yep, I got all the install info for the gearset. Enjoyed that thread!
That was very useful.

And thanks about the pump eccentric info...I missed that and man that SUCKS! I was considering running a mechanical since the whole theme was making everything simple as possible...

I'll have to think this over. Info is much appreciated.

I wonder what the dealio is with PRW and what they will say about their infinite collection of snnout lengths on their balancers. lol

I am pretty sure I want to go with one of them. It would help if they figured out what they, or we are doing wrong.

Yep, I got all the install info for the gearset. Enjoyed that thread!
That was very useful.

And thanks about the pump eccentric info...I missed that and man that SUCKS! I was considering running a mechanical since the whole theme was making everything simple as possible...

I'll have to think this over. Info is much appreciated.

I wonder what the dealio is with PRW and what they will say about their infinite collection of snnout lengths on their balancers. lol

I am pretty sure I want to go with one of them. It would help if they figured out what they, or we are doing wrong.

Just got off the phone with PRW.........the Rep told me that the older Dampers are exactly 1/2" too long Just like Tracy's aka "Fishy68"
He also verified that the new style that I got is right at a 1/4 " too short.

They are manufacturing a NEW Damper that has the correct SNOUT length and the Damper itself will be made a bit thinner to eleviate ALL the problems within 45 days. It should be available and on the market within that time he says...........For the guys that bought the older style like Tracy you will need to have the snout shaved about .225 or so and make adjustments for pulley alignment. The guys that bought the so called newer style like me will need to either make a Crank Spacer about 1/4" thick so you dont have to file the timing marks off the cover like I did or he said you can call HUGHES ENGINES and they have a 1/4" Crank Spacer ready for shipping that will fix the problem............I wish the guy would have said that when I bought mine!!!

HAHA! wow how frustrating.
I think I'll jsut call hughes and get it from them with the spacer.
From experience their customer service is great.

Maybe I'll just run the electric pump, get the geardrive and have hughes square me away. I love geardrives. Never had one on a mopar though because the milodon is a silent, and it's 400ish bucks which turned me off.
Doesnt even seem as durable as the cat although i'm sure it is.

Thanks for all the legwork man, this is all valuable info.

Thanks a ton for calling them Louis. I can't say I'm real impressed with them after it taking them 3 tries to get it right. Wouldn't you know it I need this thing sooner than 45 days or I'd wait to get one that fits right.

Louis how did your TCI Rattler fit? Did you have any pulley alignment issues with it? I'd get the snout turned down on mine but even then the bottom pulley will be way to far out because the balancer is so thick. I can make spacers to space the accessories out but I don't like the look of them plus I'm real close to the radiator now. Not sure if I can go out 1/2" more and clear it. I'm at the point of just coughing up whatever money it takes to resolve the issue if I only knew for sure which one to buy.

Hey Tracy,

The Rattler fits ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Lines up Perfect etc! It is about a 1/4 inch thinner than the PRW balancer also. No shimming etc. It is expensive though. Maybe call Brian at IMM, He used a different one on the 410 he just built and I know it was inexpensive but I dont know what brand it is or if it is SFI Approved. He did run an alternator in the car but I dont know about a fan.

I didn't have to heat it up or anything and it slid right on perfect........I like the Rattler alot but out of the question for this one!

Thanks a ton for calling them Louis. I can't say I'm real impressed with them after it taking them 3 tries to get it right. Wouldn't you know it I need this thing sooner than 45 days or I'd wait to get one that fits right.

Louis how did your TCI Rattler fit? Did you have any pulley alignment issues with it? I'd get the snout turned down on mine but even then the bottom pulley will be way to far out because the balancer is so thick. I can make spacers to space the accessories out but I don't like the look of them plus I'm real close to the radiator now. Not sure if I can go out 1/2" more and clear it. I'm at the point of just coughing up whatever money it takes to resolve the issue if I only knew for sure which one to buy.

I know the rattler is a really good balancer, but it looks like something you light on the 4th of july and not something that goes on an engine. I hope they fired the fool who made that sticker or whatever it is on the front.

I am not sure what to do now...

It's funny because looks are actually important to me.
I wont buy a piece of crap, but it needs to look good too.
I like the PRW, I do. But man they seriously need to get an engine to test fit their own parts.

There just arent many choices to begin with.

HAHA! wow how frustrating.
I think I'll jsut call hughes and get it from them with the spacer.
From experience their customer service is great.

Maybe I'll just run the electric pump, get the geardrive and have hughes square me away. I love geardrives. Never had one on a mopar though because the milodon is a silent, and it's 400ish bucks which turned me off.
Doesnt even seem as durable as the cat although i'm sure it is.

Thanks for all the legwork man, this is all valuable info.

I respectfully disagree with you on the gear drive...The milodon gear drive would me more durable than the scat. :)

Just got off the phone with PRW.........the Rep told me that the older Dampers are exactly 1/2" too long Just like Tracy's aka "Fishy68"
He also verified that the new style that I got is right at a 1/4 " too short.

They are manufacturing a NEW Damper that has the correct SNOUT length and the Damper itself will be made a bit thinner to eleviate ALL the problems within 45 days. It should be available and on the market within that time he says...........For the guys that bought the older style like Tracy you will need to have the snout shaved about .225 or so and make adjustments for pulley alignment. The guys that bought the so called newer style like me will need to either make a Crank Spacer about 1/4" thick so you dont have to file the timing marks off the cover like I did or he said you can call HUGHES ENGINES and they have a 1/4" Crank Spacer ready for shipping that will fix the problem............I wish the guy would have said that when I bought mine!!!

Hey Mad Dart, Since you talked to PRW and they KNOW they made the part incorrect and it took them 3 tries, I would ask them to send me a knew one, and give them the old one back. The company has to make this right, and by exchanging the one you have for the new corrected one, would be the right thing to do...I'd say something...

We'll you know what you have a valid point there........but like Tracy stated I don't have 45 days either, maybe run it and then call them back in 45days??
Worth a shot!

Hey Tracy,

The Rattler fits ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Lines up Perfect etc! It is about a 1/4 inch thinner than the PRW balancer also. No shimming etc. It is expensive though. Maybe call Brian at IMM, He used a different one on the 410 he just built and I know it was inexpensive but I dont know what brand it is or if it is SFI Approved. He did run an alternator in the car but I dont know about a fan.

I didn't have to heat it up or anything and it slid right on perfect........I like the Rattler alot but out of the question for this one!

Thanks Louis. I know it's expensive but if it saves all this trouble it might be worth it. I'll try Brian and see what he thinks. I have had some balancers go on tight but never had to heat one to 200 degrees to install it. Don't know why they make it so tight. I know it has to be tight but it seems a little overboard.

Hey Mad Dart, Since you talked to PRW and they KNOW they made the part incorrect and it took them 3 tries, I would ask them to send me a knew one, and give them the old one back. The company has to make this right, and by exchanging the one you have for the new corrected one, would be the right thing to do...I'd say something...

I was thinking the same thing. But the problem is time. I'm already running way late getting this job done. Don't have 45 days to wait for them to straighten it out.

Hey Tracy,

Balancers "should be" Interference Fit. (The use of an installer is required) -For a properly fitted balancer.

Balancers "should be" Interference Fit. (The use of an installer is required) -For a properly fitted balancer.

I dont know how many balancers YOU have installed BUTTTT, this PRW balancer is NOT the only balancer that say's to HEAT it up before install...............You keep saying the same things, I don't get it.

To me this hobbie is about making things work. We are talking 21st century technology on 40+ Year old cars here......you WILL run into issues and if you are NOT willing to deal with them then GET OUT OF THE GAME!!!

Bottom line is I found a way to use this balancer and possibly help a few people along the way save alot of $$$ and TIME, and YES I used an installer just like the directions said and for some reason YOU need to find something wrong with it........that's is funny to say the least....

I made it work for ME and MY situation, that's all I can say about that. I also went the extra mile so other members can make an informed decision based on what the MANUFACTURER has said........Nothing wrong with that either...
This PRW balancer is a SWEET piece and will be even better when they get the final measurements worked out........then YOU can go and buy one since someone has already done the homework for you.........

Got anything else to say?????

-
Back