SFI Question

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
So i would really like to update some stuff in my 68 for obvious reasons. Being i dont have a bar, and wont be going fast enough for one i want to do the 3" simpson lap belts. that said im not going fast enough for those either, now the question.

Can you run an out of date SFI part even if its not required for your class/time/mph?

Nope. If the belts were in a 25 second car, they are out of date and you'd be parked.

One of the biggest money grabs the nhra/sfi has implemented in a long time.

To make it even more ridiculous, you can run the stock belts from the 1960's and be legal... yep, all in the interest of safety!

Isn't there somewhere you can send them to be re certed?

Mine are brand new in the box, just out of date.

Nope. If the belts were in a 25 second car, they are out of date and you'd be parked.

One of the biggest money grabs the nhra/sfi has implemented in a long time.

To make it even more ridiculous, you can run the stock belts from the 1960's and be legal... yep, all in the interest of safety!

thats what i thought...

Isn't there somewhere you can send them to be re certed?

Mine are brand new in the box, just out of date.

i think the manufacture but CB or tony would know better.

thats what i thought...

It's just stupid. They are just like the DOT that I have to deal with in every state. They all claim it's about safety, when in fact it's a money grab. :banghead:

You would think they would OK the belts in the slower cars if they look good and solid. I can understand checking them in the faster cars, of course personally I would want my stuff up to snuff in an 8 second car.

Contact the belt manufacturer. Most have a re-cert program. It's ~$50 + shipping in most cases.

Contact the belt manufacturer. Most have a re-cert program. It's ~$25 + shipping in most cases. If you see ANY fraying of the belts, don't bother sending them, they likely won't re-cert.

Thanks Rob. I may just do that, like I said mine are brand new in the box. Just outdated. I bought them at a yard sale for 5 bucks! 2 five point harnesses.

It's just stupid. They are just like the DOT that I have to deal with in every state. They all claim it's about safety, when in fact it's a money grab. :banghead:

You would think they would OK the belts in the slower cars if they look good and solid. I can understand checking them in the faster cars, of course personally I would want my stuff up to snuff in an 8 second car.

totally agree... i mean these new simpson 3" belts are going to be a hell of a lot better then the belts from 68, nevermind the materials but just the latch!

Well...In Vegas ....they will let you run the expired belts as long as the car is not required to have the belts...such as roll bar or cage....

If you read the rule book it does state you can run the expired belts in a class or car that does not require it..

DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM
Seat belt mandatory in all cars. Three-inch driver restraint system
meeting SFI Spec 16.1 mandatory in any car running 11.49 (*7.35)
or quicker, in convertibles running 13.49 (*8.25) or quicker, and all
dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00 (*7.50) or slower. SFI 16.1
restraint system, when required, includes crotch strap and must be
updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture.

the when required.......

YES, you can run an out of date belt in a slower car, not required to have a SFI belt in it.
I have 2 different letter's from NHRA direct ,both the NW division, and Glendora headquarters, as we went through this with Tammy's 11:90's Dart.
Some techs are confused about this question, I keep the letter in her car so when we go to other NHRA tracks.
You can email NHRA and they will verify this.Print the letter, and carry it with you.

that is what the rule book says...When Required.........

Be nice if the techs would know that, know a bunch that got sent home.

A friend had a full cage, tech told him it needed a net, Car runs 10.50's... not required, they argued for a while and he still went home.

A friend had a full cage, tech told him it needed a net, Car runs 10.50's... not required, they argued for a while and he still went home.

Another issue sometimes with them, is the SFI roll bar pad, verse's the non SFI foam type, and what E.T. the cut off is. I had one tech tell me I needed SFI pad in a 10 second car.Same thing, had the letter with me, and pulled it out.

I see 9 second and faster cars, running non SFI pad all the time.

The test to be a tech is open book, and they still can't get it right!

Rob...I would believe if you put a roll cage in the car...it is going to need a window net regardless of how fast or slow it is...

see rule below...net not needed...unless going 9.99 or 135 mph

WINDOW NET
A ribbon-type or SFI 27.1 mesh-type window net is mandatory for
any full-bodied car running 7.50 (*4.50) to 9.99 (*6.39) or if vehicle
runs 135 mph or faster. See General Regulations 6:3.

let me see what GR 6.3 says...cause that rule does not say it is required.

An SFI 27.1 ribbon-type or mesh-type window net is mandatory on
any full-bodied car running 7.49 (*4.49) or quicker. For full-bodied
cars running 7.50 (*4.50) to 9.99 (*6.39) or if vehicle runs 135 mph
or faster, a ribbon-type or SFI 27.1 mesh-type window net is
mandatory unless otherwise specified by Class Requirements. SFI
27.1 window net, when required, must be updated at two-year
intervals from the date of manufacture. Window net must be
securely mounted on the inside of the roll cage, with the permanent
attachment at the bottom. All attachment points must be designed
in an attempt to protect the driver and avoid contact with track
surface or guardwall. Eyelet clips, dogleash hardware, hose clamps,
etc. prohibited. Penetration of webbing, except as performed per
manufacturer’s instructions, prohibited. Any other modification to net
must be performed by manufacturer.

The "when required" again. 10.50 - 127, close but not close enough.

It went something like this.

Tech -Car needs a net.

D - No, car runs 10.50's

Tech - Has a cage
'
D - Cage isn't required at 10.50, just a bar, no net at that et

Tech - But it has a cage in it...

Rinse, repeat.

Chicken or the egg...

Chris, You must have a binder full of letters. Which is a really good method to combat the tech guy gone bad! :)

Wow this is great stuff guys! I need to get a 2014 book and REALLY read the rules.

P.S. how much did the NHRA letter cost you?

Well, maybe things aren't so bleak after all.

That's a good idea on the letter from NHRA.

A Letter from NHRA doesn't cost anything, just email NHRA tech. off their websight, they will answer you, then print it.
Also, FYI.
The rule book does say 2 year SFI on window nets, but everybody complained. It IS NOT required anymore. I have tons of friends that run S/ST, they set me straight, just before I bought a new one.
I just had a ETI (extended tech inspection) on my car down to 7:50 & slower, and it didn't need a 2 yr. date. I even asked, just in case I go to another track. This was the NW division 6 NHRA techs that did my car. They are super strict, but spot on always.
No, you don't need a net 10:00 and slower, even with a roll cage. I been down that road too.
Again, just ask NHRA in Glendora, or your local division tech via email, whenever anything is un-clear. They will set you straight nicely.Then print it.
I have an email into them now, over alcohol, and fire suite requirment. I know the answer, but I want to be 100% sure I am reading it right. The book does get confusing, and they change the rules a lot.
How about the muffler thing a few years back that they went nuts about. Do they care now?
Step into 7:49 and faster, and it will rock your world!
P.S. They are really cracking down on engine diapers on 9:99 & faster cars this year, even in S/Pro.

The "when required" again. 10.50 - 127, close but not close enough.

It went something like this.

Tech -Car needs a net.

D - No, car runs 10.50's

Tech - Has a cage
'
D - Cage isn't required at 10.50, just a bar, no net at that et

Tech - But it has a cage in it...

Rinse, repeat.

Chicken or the egg...

Chris, You must have a binder full of letters. Which is a really good method to combat the tech guy gone bad! :)

For me, this is what I always got when I go to another track. You race all year, even with a ETI sticker, then you travel to like Ascroft Canada (14 hard hours) to have the tech's shooting you down. Unless you can give them clear proof, they always win "I fought the law,, and the law won"....No offense, they just dig their heals in, and close their minds. I have come to the conclusion that others may get in their faces, and when you get up there they are already mad. I just try to be as nice as I can, agree, tell them I will fix it, unless I have a letter. Or I bring one next time.
At the E.T. finals in Woodburn 4 years back, my 9 second Daytona ran all year on a ETI. Then I have a small hole in the thread of my glove, they don't like the way my belt is mounted, and the divider at the fuel cell just wasn't what they wanted. I had them take my gloves away for good, then promise I would Tstop into the 11's to run.
Letters are easy to get, I only have a few, but man do they help.

-
Back