Shifter help

-

Shadow9198

Reaction score
i have a 545rfe trans that im putting in my car project. Does anyone here by chance know how far the shift cable needs to pull the trans lever on each shift?

I have a 545rfe trans with 5.7 hemi that i put in my project car. Does anyone here by chance know how far the shift cable needs to move on each shift for the 545rfe?

I don't know how far it moves, but I was able to connect my stock column shift linkage in my 73 Duster to work with the 545RFE. I had to move one hole in one of the levers to get the right ratio and do a little welding to connect the shift rod, but it was surprisingly easy to make work.

I need to know the proper length because i am using an aftermarket shifter

Well it depends on the shifter. I've had three shifters in my 67, the original console, a Hurst, and a Cheetah. Each one has a unique, separate shift lever for the transmission. Tell us what shifter you are using. If it's one I've got, I can give you a C-C distance from the shaft to the shifter cable hole

I need to know the proper length because i am using an aftermarket shifter

I think you may have to find out and deal with it when it's right in front of you, but there is this quote from another member that said what he did and that the lever and trans matched positions.
BUT the lever on the trans is the determining factor obviously.
I thought you might need to know about the filler tube also, because apparently the RFE tube is going to need replaced with a lokar flexible, as I have not seen anything about another one working besides having to clearance the tunnel for it.

"The shifter cable install went well! Picked up a stock cable mount for the trans from the dealer and welded a washer in it to get the hole size right for the 42" cable I picked up. After getting the stock shifter mount reinstalled as low as possible over the new T-bar xmember loop, I made up a cable mount off of that, and the detents in the stock shifter align prefectly with the detents in the trans :) The console is taking on a little incline now (up about 1/2" at the forward "rear" mount in the pic), but it looks like thing are going to work out.

Now for the dipstick tube... I picked up a tube for a 2007 Commander thinking maybe a Jeep would hug the eng/trans tighter than a truck tube, but it definitely doesn't "fit". Has anyone tried a variety of tube from stock applications?"

-
Back