Shocks for a big block

-

Duster 383

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy some shocks for my 74 duster with a 383 in it. What does everyone run and is there any difference in shocks for a big block vs the factory slant six ???

Shock only dampen and control your spring as the suspension moves. Ever see a slammed car bounce all over the roads, that a sign their shock/struts can not control the springs (and probably are riding on the bump stops). Larger torsion bars would be what your after unless this is a drag only application so we need to know more about your car and what you do/intend to do with it.

Shock only dampen and control your spring as the suspension moves. Ever see a slammed car bounce all over the roads, that a sign their shock/struts can not control the springs (and probably are riding on the bump stops). Larger torsion bars would be what your after unless this is a drag only application so we need to know more about your car and what you do/intend to do with it.
This will be mostly driven on the Rd but occasionally taken to the track for some fun but nothing serious ....it already has .920 torsion bars on it ...which feel alittle weak. Thanks reason for my concern is I recently replaced the oil pan and the old pan looked like it had been slammed on the ground a couple times so I think bottoming out is a problem so I think I may put a few cranks on the torsion bars unless someone tells me that they are too small for he 383. So for now your saying stock shocks should be fine... Right now just trying to make it Rd worthy

I think the factory bars on the 383 A-bodies were either .87 or .89, so your .92 bars should be a little stiffer than factory. I put Firm Feel 1" bars in mine. It is a little stiff on rough roads, but not bad and I really like it on the smoother highways. I'm running Bilstein shocks front and back.

I think the factory bars on the 383 A-bodies were either .87 or .89, so your .92 bars should be a little stiffer than factory. I put Firm Feel 1" bars in mine. It is a little stiff on rough roads, but not bad and I really like it on the smoother highways. I'm running Bilstein shocks front and back.
do you by any chance have a part number ??

Better shocks may help control your larger bars, the key word is control. If your going lower than stock then larger bars are a must. You might consider a skid plate too to protect the pan.

do you by any chance have a part number ??

For the torsion bars or shocks. I would just call Firm Feel as Dano said. Bars for a 74 duster probably aren't the same anyway. or you could get ahold of , or get ahold of James from PST. He is a member here and can hook you up too, ...and I think we still get a discount for being a member here.

For the torsion bars or shocks. I would just call Firm Feel as Dano said. Bars for a 74 duster probably aren't the same anyway. or you could get ahold of , or get ahold of James from PST. He is a member here and can hook you up too, ...and I think we still get a discount for being a member here.
I was asking for the shocks ....I did check out feel firms website and I will prob be getting on the horn with them to discuss my issue... I have no clue how long these things has been on here or if they are weak I just know that the k frame and the pan look horrible

IMG_20180311_160731752.jpg

I have bought things from both Firm Feel and through James from PST. Both are good to deal with!

Here is a link to the our 1.03 bars. They are a great all around preforming bars without a harsh ride:
1.03" Torsion Bar - A Body

For shocks I would definitely recommend the Bilstiens as they will provide greater handling and control with not harsh ride or stiffness.

Performance Suspension Technology

Also as a member of the forum you get 10% off orders of $200 or more and free shipping to the 48 Continental States

Thanks
James

Here is a link to the our 1.03 bars. They are a great all around preforming bars without a harsh ride:
1.03" Torsion Bar - A Body

For shocks I would definitely recommend the Bilstiens as they will provide greater handling and control with not harsh ride or stiffness.

Performance Suspension Technology

Also as a member of the forum you get 10% off orders of $200 or more and free shipping to the 48 Continental States

Thanks
James
Awesome thanks James ...do you by any chance know the number for the Bilstein shocks you referred to ??

The part number for the 4 pack is in the link. If you go to our website you can just purchase front or rear and part numbers are listed there.

Thanks
James

-
Back