Shop light opinions

-
I'm liken that. You are planning on using a total of 6? What square footage would 6 light?
Yep. Right now, just have two of the 10,000 lumens installed. The other 2 go on the far end and I have to move the non running project cars out to get the tractor in there to reach the peak.

Then eventually the two Fluorescent tube above the lift closest in the photo will get swapped out as well.

That shed there is 80x40x22h

Did you use the front loader on your tractor for the light install?

Did you use the front loader on your tractor for the light install?
Yep. Due to the height, we have to strap the tractor to the fifth wheel and back it in. Someone climbs into the pallet lift bucket we made. Not exactly osha approved but safe enough

Years ago they replaced some 8’ industrial fluorescent light fixtures with something more efficient. I grabbed them knowing that I’d use them some day but I didn’t notice that they were 220 volt. I ended up removing the ballast and replacing the bulbs with T8 led bulbs. I have plenty of light now.

75B2AD12-9340-486E-9217-DCF784E69606.jpeg

9024BF89-B7BC-42F1-8B29-D2CB9B917413.jpeg

Last edited:
Go take a look at

The Best Light Fixture Ever! - The Garage Journal Board

Lighting is not about lumens, it's about foot candles at your work surface. The higher the ceiling is, the more lights you need.

I'm putting these in.
4ft 18W VersaT8 LED Tube - Ballast Compatible or Bypass - (UL+DLC)

Which are mentioned in the thread link above. I wired up a single 4 bulb fixture and turned it on. The whole shop, a 36x48x14 foot barn was lit "decently" as in, you could walk around and actually do work. I'm installing 12 of these in a 4x3 grid. Found the fixtures on CL for $100 total. Bulbs cost a smidge over 400, for 60 since they come in cases of 30. I guess I'll have spares..

-=C

4 ft. LED shop lights off Amazon. Its day time at night in the garage. Cut the meter usage in half for lighting. I don't know how many are in the garage. I never counted but there are quite a few. Since these pictures he put more on the walls. He does most of the work here at night. I couldn't imagine not having them now.

View attachment 1715420625

View attachment 1715420626

View attachment 1715420628

View attachment 1715420629
Man, it's like an operating room there,I love it! Gonna check those out.
Thanks, Steve

One big thing to consider is the direction the light is cast. The bulbs I have throw light in a 120 degree field. Some lighting that claims it's going everywhere, well, why would you want that if you're looking down at your car? If you're ceiling is white, then maybe because of the reflection but having the light pointed in at the work plane (30 or so inches off the ground) is where it needs to be. Even with 48 bulbs (almost 12,000 "Lumens") I'll only be getting around 65 foot candles to the work plane, industry standard for commercial spaces is something like 93.

What about looking into a more commercial, bay lighting?

Pulled the trigger on some ufo high bay leds. The covers are still on back order and I want to put up the other 2 after the covers arrive but they sure help. Gonna be 1 more at the front and 1 more at the back.

led1.jpg
led2.jpg

4 ft. LED shop lights off Amazon. Its day time at night in the garage. Cut the meter usage in half for lighting. I don't know how many are in the garage. I never counted but there are quite a few. Since these pictures he put more on the walls. He does most of the work here at night. I couldn't imagine not having them now.

View attachment 1715420625

View attachment 1715420626

View attachment 1715420628

View attachment 1715420629

This is very similar to what I have in my shop.

Got the other 2 in, very happy with the result. No excuse not to work all night now!

Barn6.jpg

-
Back