Short story and a few questions.....

-

detroitmopar

Reaction score
Hello everyone... New guy here with a short story and a few questions.

My dad and I built a 1966 Valiant v-100 5 years ago. Started as a slant 6 car and ended up being a 360ci, 450hp, street machine. Engine was built by Best Machine here in MI. Alum intake and heads, Wilwood discs, dougs headers, 8 3/4 rearend.... the whole nine yards. It was a father and son project that we spent two years building in my dad's two car garage.

Not trying to bum anyone out, but to make a long story short, my father was killed in the car the first time he drove it. I unfortunately witnessed the accident. Something on the car broke or was loose (I am thinking tie rods or something with the front end) and the car veeered into oncoming traffic and my dad was broadsided.

Moving on.... My dad was a HUGE mopar guy and left some parts laying around that I have been getting rid of for the last few years. I just cant do the muscle car thing anymore... For the most part, alot of the stuff is gone now except for a crossmember that is still in my basement. I believe it is a Early A body V8 Crossmember but I am not 100% sure. How do I tell the difference between an early A v-8 crossmember and a later A body crossmember? 2nd.. If I do Have an early A body crossmember, what would it be worth if I wanted to sell it? An honest asking price? I am looking to get rid of all my car parts. Leaving the muscle car game as that Is something that I did with my dad and just cant get back into it.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Jeff

Hey Jeff, welcome to FABO from one Michigander to another. I read with much sorrow your account of your fathers accident and I must say that I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your Dad after enjoying so much together. It truly is a loss to you and I feel a little bit like I lost a friend too. He sounds like he was a great guy, and was trying to share a hobby with you that you would both enjoy very much.

To answer your question about the crossmember, if you are talking about a transmission crossmember, one sure way to tell if it's early A body is by the single cutout accross the bottom that only allows single exhaust to pass through the crossmember. The early A cars only had single exhaust no matter what the performance level was. Pictured in my post is an early A crossmember marked for the dual cutout conversion, but not cut out yet. Note the flat bottom on the passenger side where it is marked. I yours like that?? If so, it is early A. Value would be about $10.00, unless it has been converted to use dual exhaust, then it would be about $50.00. I hope this helps, Geof

Thanks Geof. Appreciate the kind words. Actually, I may have mis-spoke. It is a "K member" , engine cradle, or suspension crossmember for lack of better terms. It has engine mounts etc...

What do you guys think? I dont have a photo of it but I can get one if need be.

Thanks
Jeff

Very sorry to hear about your Dad. As for the K-member ID....the '62-6 type have a nice smooth, rounded, front, lower edge.....the '67-up version has a pinch weld with a wide lip. The early one uses a sway bar that mounts on the front verticle surface where the later one mounts to the pinch weld lip. You should be able to spot the holes that are used. The front holes that mount the k-member to the frame are 31" apart on the early and 32 1/4" on the later. The upper suface that's under the forward part of the oil pan, has two large triangle shaped holes on the early and 3 round holes on the later. The early K-members all have a one hole, tapered post type hole for the idler arm. The '67 K-member does also. The '68 and newer uses a through bolt so it has two ears with aligned holes for the idler arm. I've seen (and sold) the early ones from $50 to $150 depending on condition.....the '67's and '68-72's for the same price on a 6 cyl or small block version and $250-450 for the big block one. If you post a photo we can probably narrow it down a little.

Thanks CudaMark... appreciate that.... exactly waht I was looking for. I am going to head down in the basement, dig her out, and figure out what I've got. I will try to get a photo as well so that I can be sure on the ID. I will post the photo here (if I can...not sure about the forum rules and if I need X ammount of posts tp pots a photo). Again... Thanks for the help.

Jeff

I hope this help a little, So sorry for your loss and my condolences to you and your family and friends.

some time pictures help a little, If you need me to I can take a picture of my 66 /6 Valiant K frame for you tomorrow

My Codolences for your Loss.
Here is a partial pic of kframe 64 Valiant

90ea.jpg

Thanks Guys... I really appreciate it. Yeah... It has been a very hard 5 years to say the least. There isnt a day that goes by where I dont think about my dad, the good times we shared, his love of mopars etc. The thing that comforts me a bit, as I know that he had a big A** smile on his face when he was driving the car before the accident. Like I said, It was the first time he ever drove the car. 2.5 years in the garage building it. here are some photos.

These are photos before the car was done....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As you can see this is before it was completed. Rear end was sitting a bit high etc. We eventually got everything situated how we wanted it and trailered it to get an alignment done, then to the exhaust shop. On the way home from the exhaust shop, the first time my dad drove it, he was killed.

Again.. Thanks for all the help. great bunch of folks here. I will try to get some photos of my K member so that you guys can take a look at it for me... Just been busy with work and havent had a chance to dig it out of the basement.

Thanks again.
Jeff.

I'm sorry for the terrible tragedy you had to witness. I can only imagine your pain.
I must say, however, you 2 guys sure know how to put together a nice looking car! That thing is freakin sweet.
Stay strong, brutha.
Ya know, just because you don't have a car, nor plan to build one, doesn't mean you can't make some new friends here on FABO. We'd love to have ya.

George

-
Back