Shot a rattler at the house....

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
First one that has been spotted this close to the house in 24 years of living on the mountain here (Blue Ridge Mtns, near Waynesboro, VA). Opened the front door and the cats came running in unusually fast and I went out to the work trailer and heard air hissing from a tire.....hmmm, there is no tire by the woodstack....!?! Figured out it was a rattler before I turned around.

Needless to say, it was promptly dispatched to that big rodent hunting ground in the sky... one good reason for firearms! Of course, I dreamed about being chased by a grizzly later on....

Pictures or it didn't happen.
No rattlers in my area of Georgia with red clay. They say there are but I've never seen one.
But there are some big ones in south Georgia where the ground is loamy.

These are much more common.

Attachments

• copperheard.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 358
I've seen diamond shapes on rattlers, but never a spotted one.... :roll:

Water Mocasin I think.

We run across rattle snakes all the time while out riding dirtbikes.
I couldn't stop before I went past this one but I heard him and saw him in time to raise my leg as I went by and he struck my motor.
(Hope he burned his damn lips) :D

Attachments

• rattler.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 309
  • Rattlesnake.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 329
When I lived in eastern Kentucky we had a coach that used to hunt them. They were pretty common I guess but I only came across one and it was on the ky va line when I was hiking.

Water Mocasin I think.

We run across rattle snakes all the time while out riding dirtbikes.
I couldn't stop before I went past this one but I heard him and saw him in time to raise my leg as I went by and he struck my motor.
(Hope he burned his damn lips) :D

I was just poking fun at the way he worded his post... :poke:

Water Mocassins are worse. Those @ssholes will chase you. Very aggressive. And silent. At least you can hear the rattle on the rattle snake.... :evil4:

The only two poisonous snakes that we have around here are Timber Rattlers and Water Moccosin/Cotton Mouth. Luckily, I haven't run into either one, and don't care to.... :shaking:

We have a bad snake around here called a Mohave Green that is a cross between a viper strain and a diamondback.
They will chase you (and they are fast) unlike a diamondback, and there is no antivenom for them.
Some dipsh*t scientists cross bred them for some dumb reason and they got out into the wild and reproduced.
They have rattles but they have an attitude like a Mocasin and they are green.

Attachments

• mo1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 275
A few years back I killed a small rattler in my garage. He was coiled up under my lawn mower. Went to start it, and he came out from under it. I knocked him in the head with a shovel, and then cut his head of with it. One of my son's and my daughter was there, too.

When I lived in AZ seen quite a few rattlers. Had a buddy that wanted to catch one, don't know if he ever did....

I like watching these guy's videos on hunting rattlesnakes. They are real, not like you see on tv.... They handle them safely, so that they don't take chances on getting bit, and the snakes seem a little more aggressive than the ones you see those Animal Planet guys have. You can see that they are also dressed properly with boots, jeans, and chaps. Not in khaki shorts like a safari guide...

These guys videos also show them catching alot of snakes. Some of the other guys are boring, watching them walk without catching much...

[ame]http://youtu.be/PTWM3iQ-vtE[/ame]

Have not seen a rattler in two years at my place but the guy down the road died a month ago. Don't know for sure what happed but was told he got bit buy a snake.

I'll be honest...I HATE snakes and don't want any part of being around them.
Years ago I was sent to Ft. Polk, LA, for both basic training and AIT. My first day on post I picked up a post newspaper and there on the front page was a pic of a soldier who had killed a rattler out in the woods. He was holding the head of the snake out at shoulder height and the snake's tail was dragging in the dirt.
Turned out they had four different types of snakes on post: rattlesnakes, copperheads, water mocassins and coral snakes - all poisonous.
Luckily, I never saw one the entire time I was there.

Snakes hide from me. I've weeded down the copperhead population here. Now we're down from 6-8 a year to maybe one. I've only had my hands on one rattler. Back when I still lived in Louisiana, a friend was up by the Mississippi line and caught one. He didn't have a cage so he brought it over. It was a lowland timber rattler about 5.5 ft. long. The damn thing wouldn't eat in captivity, so we ate it.

great use of a firearm to rid your yard of these despicable creatures.

The ones I see in southern Colorado are bad because any snake is bad in my books but the rattlers are mild compared to what I grew up seeing.

Mostly around my area in Colorado you see bull snakes which are not poisonous but I still wouldn't want to get near them.......and when you see a bull snake and start screaming, they get scared and try to scramble to get away from you.

I have run into a few bull snakes out in the salvage yard and it usually takes me a half hour to get over the creeps.

but that is all nothing compared to the ones I remember seeing as a kid like this guy in the pic :sad2: and they make a whole bunch of noise....its scary

Attachments

• Cobra-Snake.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 271
The one thing in this world I am scared of is a snake. I would rather go bear hunting with a switch than to be around a snake, any snake. Last year I came out of the master bath into the bedroom with the lights out and noticed something curled up on the floor and thought my wife had dropped one of her bracelets. I bent down and picked it up. It didn't stay curled up. It stretched out. It was a small corn snake. I about lost it. Come to find out, she had a sweet potato plant growing in a large flower pot on the front porch all summer just so she could see how big it would get and it was turning cold so she decided to bring it in and I guess it had got into the plant and stayed there. needless to say the plant and snake was thrown in the corn field next to us.

The place where I lived several years ago had lots of oak trees, which means lots of copperheads. A small one...15"...got into the house one night. In the dim light of the TV, I saw what I thought was a computer cable on the floor, as the wife had been working on her printer setup. When I got close, the cable moved, and I could see it was a copperhead. It must have come in through the dog door, but it went out in two pieces on a shovel.

One day a roadrunner trotted into the yard and stopped by the window as if to show off the beak-full of baby copperheads he was taking home to his family. I loved that bird.

I came upon one of these today actually. It's the only venomous snake in Sweden, it's called "Huggorm" in swedish which directly translates to Stab Snake haha. I'm not fond of snakes, but I hate spiders way more, they give me the creeps!

huggorm.jpg

Pictures or it didn't happen.
No rattlers in my area of Georgia with red clay. They say there are but I've never seen one.
But there are some big ones in south Georgia where the ground is loamy.

These are much more common.

That's a copperhead

Well guys and gals thanks I see bad dreams next few nights. I HATE SNAKES!!!!!!!!! We had a six year old in central fl. die last week from a rattle snake bite. A guy in JAX got bit by one he tried to move it out of the road so it wouldn't get run over. What a dumb ***! Like 50 vials of anti venom at $10K a pop. Tax payers pick up the tab for this dumb ***!

I came upon one of these today actually. It's the only venomous snake in Sweden, it's called "Huggorm" in swedish which directly translates to Stab Snake haha. I'm not fond of snakes, but I hate spiders way more, they give me the creeps!

huggorm.jpg

I never heard of one of these snakes but I will say I think it is quite pretty!

My neighbor across the road from me shot this "Velvet Tail" Timber Rattlesnake four feet from his front porch.

His 4 year old son went to see what the dog was barking at and went back and got his dad.

View attachment DSC03862-1.jpg

The Fangs were almost 1 1/2" long.

Herb

-
Back