Should I start a Jeep Forum?

Should I Start a Jeep Forum

• Yes, I'll be a frequent poster

Votes: 64 29.9%
  • No / I dont care, I wont be participating

Votes: 150 70.1%

• Total voters
-
i would no be a part of it as i have no jeep and dont care for them myself ... so no bacon there if you start one lol cool ideal tho

If you do create it purists should probably stay away......Jeeps are damn near begging for various different transplants......just saying.....

With Jeeps? Anything from the Willy's era, maybe. But the AMC era? Don't know about that.

Get into the 60's and 70's? Or even the 80's? Not really. What's a purist to do with his Buick sourced V6 or the Chevy sourced 2.8L? Or the Chrysler and GM transmissions? The NP (Chrysler) sourced transfer cases? The Dana's front and rear? The Ford ignition systems? The GM brakes?

Except for the engines and the final assembly there's not a lot that AMC could claim for purists to grab on to. It's a Jeep forum, not an overall AMC forum which would include Nash, Willy's, AMX's, or S/CRamblers.

The only time you might here someone gripe is if a 4.0L is replaced with something different, but Jeep lovers are so in love with the 4.0L already that they'd rather build those than replace 'em with something different. Hell, the 4.0L has become ubiquitous with the go-to engine that you see it being used to replace 258's, etc.

With Jeeps? Anything from the Willy's era, maybe. But the AMC era? Don't know about that.

Get into the 60's and 70's? Or even the 80's? Not really. What's a purist to do with his Buick sourced V6 or the Chevy sourced 2.8L? Or the Chrysler and GM transmissions? The NP (Chrysler) sourced transfer cases? The Dana's front and rear? The Ford ignition systems? The GM brakes?

Except for the engines and the final assembly there's not a lot that AMC could claim for purists to grab on to. It's a Jeep forum, not an overall AMC forum which would include Nash, Willy's, AMX's, or S/CRamblers.

The only time you might here someone gripe is if a 4.0L is replaced with something different, but Jeep lovers are so in love with the 4.0L already that they'd rather build those than replace 'em with something different. Hell, the 4.0L has become ubiquitous with the go-to engine that you see it being used to replace 258's, etc.

Psst, you forgot to mention the 401. There is practically a religion around those. (Or at least Holy Grail status).

Ramcharger's build thread on his 4.0 here is pure gold. His XJ and a few others are here are really nice, too.
Dang it, I gotta go to craigslist for a few minutes....

i couldnt agree more ....love them 4.0 litre HOs. i had even ran one over 400K . the jeep fell apart around the engine. with any choice i had to transplant into my last one , i went with another 4.0 HO. ive always wanted to stick a 440 in one.

Attachments

• jeep16.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 123
  • jeep19.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 122
  • jeep.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 126
Not to argue with you but damn near every YJ I ever encountered, whether is was in the Pine Barrens or the AZ desert had a transplant done on it. I am not talking the guys that bolt a lift kit on and go out messing around, talking the guys that build the things to use them, the guys that twist the wimpy little dana 30/35,s or what ever the hell they had under them into pretzels. The kind of folks that use a winch several times an outing. Not saying they all have transplants, but I have see a ton of them. Just look at the 2 of the companies that offer adapters, Advance and Novak. There is no way they would have been around for as long as they have been if engine swaps were not as popular as they are. Sure both of these companies offer adapters for other vehicles, but last I looked thru the catalogs they were very Jeep oriented.....

I am a jeep guy and one reason for that is my dad bought one and said I couldn't buy myself a duster so, I bought myself a jeep and got away from the a bodies for a little until I just recently bought my own. I'd linger around a jeep forum but I know there are a few out there already and in all honesty, I don't find jeep forums as useful as this forum. Tons of info and experience here. Jeep forums are just a bunch of kids wanting to tell you about the mud puddle they drove through or the hill the drove up.

Attachments

• IMG_20120624_160246.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 130
Not to argue with you but damn near every YJ I ever encountered, whether is was in the Pine Barrens or the AZ desert had a transplant done on it. I am not talking the guys that bolt a lift kit on and go out messing around, talking the guys that build the things to use them, the guys that twist the wimpy little dana 30/35,s or what ever the hell they had under them into pretzels. The kind of folks that use a winch several times an outing. Not saying they all have transplants, but I have see a ton of them. Just look at the 2 of the companies that offer adapters, Advance and Novak. There is no way they would have been around for as long as they have been if engine swaps were not as popular as they are. Sure both of these companies offer adapters for other vehicles, but last I looked thru the catalogs they were very Jeep oriented.....

Ah, yes, but now you're talking an entirely different aminul from what I was intending. I was talking more of the "average" Jeep owner, folks who like to trail ride while doing it on a budget, like what we see in Joe's videos.

I think you'll see the 4.0L lovers balk if you start talking about taking the 4.0L out of a Cherokee Sport and dropping a SBC in it's place, as just 'cause kinda thing, but when you start talking about a serious trail vehicle or a rock crawler, I don't think you'll see many people complaining about the engine of choice.

There's too many mud boggers out there who have built big cube engines of every make and put them in old Willy's trucks or guys who have taken old CJ's and put 350's in 'em for it not now to have become a fact of life amongst the Jeep crowd.

I'd linger around a jeep forum but I know there are a few out there already and in all honesty, I don't find jeep forums as useful as this forum. Tons of info and experience here. Jeep forums are just a bunch of kids wanting to tell you about the mud puddle they drove through or the hill the drove up.

If I did this, I think I would approach it differently then other forums. I think i would let you guys really form a core community before I started promoting it or anything.

The key is, YOU guys would be the ones to make it into what it would be. Personally, I would like it NOT to be a bunch of kids, but more technical / restoration focused. I would rely heavily on you guys to help me get it organized and designed, etc. The idea being we make it attractive for the more technical / resto side of things...

I know nothing about jeeps,but one of my sons has a Grand Cherokee and this would be a good learning experience for both of us. Now I have to figure out how to get it away from him. :evil2:

Just look at the 2 of the companies that offer adapters, Advance and Novak. There is no way they would have been around for as long as they have been if engine swaps were not as popular as they are.

and they look awesome

i cant think of a better vehicle to chop up, cut up, saw on , hack, weld, fabricate and practice all your skills on. they made billions of them

If I did this, I think I would approach it differently then other forums. I think i would let you guys really form a core community before I started promoting it or anything.

The key is, YOU guys would be the ones to make it into what it would be. Personally, I would like it NOT to be a bunch of kids, but more technical / restoration focused. I would rely heavily on you guys to help me get it organized and designed, etc. The idea being we make it attractive for the more technical / resto side of things...

Even though I am just a kid, this is exactly what I would like also. People that can actually help you out on issues. Lets face it, a lot of jeeps such as mine get beat up on. Parts break and problems occur. I'm not an expert on auto repair so a site were people can actually help you out when it comes to repairing your vehicle and doing it on a budget such as this site would be great. I don't want to hear about the rock these people climb and all that which is probably a big reason I only have 10 post on jeepforum. Not to much helpful info on that site in my opinion.

and they look awesome

i cant think of a better vehicle to chop up, cut up, saw on , hack, weld, fabricate and practice all your skills on. they made billions of them
and with the right equipment can be made to go pretty much any where. But at the same time, if you were to take a TTB Ford and cut/turn the beams, coil over shocks etc & flip the rear shackles it is a very capable vehicle in its own right. I have never been much of a Jeep person, would take an old Bronco over a Jeep. And if I was looking for a trial rig, it would be an extended cab Ranger with the TTB set up under it. But that is just me......something along the lines of this that my friends shop built

There's already a really good jeep forum called jeep forum, of course if you do make one it will make my dual auto addiction slightly easier to navigate.

I have a couple I am on almost daily at least one of one of them

Joey yes i think you should make one . there are a ton for jeeps out there ! them dudes are as hard core as we are bout are a bodies i think ir would make you money over time

A "forjeepsonly" website in the same format as this would be great since I'm familiar with this site. I hate having to jump back and forth on forums just to find 1 answere to my problem and sometimes I don't even find the answere. I hope this new forum, if you go through with it, would be a 1 stop shop on answeres and would be better than the rest.

Yes.....for many reasons.

There is a huge market for jeep stuff, repairs, tech advice, parts swap, modifications, aftermarket add ons, lift kits, wheels, tires, wheeling pics....etc.

None are ran FABO style so I think a For jeeps only site would be good competition for some of the others that have been around for a while....and in time would bring an assload of newbies.

I own an '01 XJ and am actually a Jeep tech. I work at a Jeep dealership doing power train stuff - engines transmissions etc.

I'd think about joining but I'll be honest, I am not a real big Jeep enthusiast so my interest would be pretty limited. Some days I really hate the f*ckin' things too, last thing I wanna do is read about 'em. :angry1:

I will add that sometimes I need to search outside of our service website when a weird problem comes up or maybe need info on an older vehicle. Inevitably you end up looking around on some of the other forums which like anything can be hit or miss.

I own an '01 XJ and am actually a Jeep tech. I work at a Jeep dealership doing power train stuff - engines transmissions etc.

I'd think about joining but I'll be honest, I am not a real big Jeep enthusiast so my interest would be pretty limited. Some days I really hate the f*ckin' things too, last thing I wanna do is read about 'em. :angry1:

I will add that sometimes I need to search outside of our service website when a weird problem comes up or maybe need info on an older vehicle. Inevitably you end up looking around on some of the other forums which like anything can be hit or miss.

LOL. Ever ask a mailman to go for a walk?

You could always be helpful to others...... :)

Jeeps are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy popular, everyone has to like at least one model that they ever put out, i dont own one so i wont post on there, but i have come close to owning a few, i think the site would be popular

Jeeps are cool to everyone!

-
Back