should I sue?

-
I'm very glad you guys weren't hurt!

If you need to take care of local policies to correct problems, do so through the proper channels. I commend you for that.

If you're going to sue because you made the choice to drive in bad conditions and crashed, I don't understand how that will help. I don't care what country you live in, personal responsibility is the answer.

If it were me, I'd be embarassed that I crashed. My son would learn that because I made a mistake, I would suffer the consequences, not look to blame others.

I try not to type things that I wouldn't say in person, to a stranger. I probably wouldn't say this to a stranger, so I apologize. I would certainly say this to my friends.

Getting your municipality to change their policy would be the best way to go. The knowledge you have shown us about the condition of your roads, pretty much kills your suit.

Take a look at Quebec. To defer blame away from cities, and prevent lawsuits, they have made snowtires mandatory. Enough law suits, and then you WILL be buying those tires. Sorry, but I think you were at fault simply because you knew what to expect, and tried it anyways. Not saying I wouldn't have, but I would have taken the blame.

I am glad that no one was hurt.

To me it appears you knew of the danger involved in driving your van at the time of the wreck. You assumed responsibility of your actions when you left your driveway.

no case

K guys I found out all the sanding/plowing info after the wreck so no,I didnt know. If you step out your door at 11:a.m there is kind of an expectation that the city has done it's duty. It's called due dilligence.

I drive in these conditions all the time,for 17 years. Yes the roads are bad. No I could not have taken an alternate route. None of them were sanded. It had only snowed 5 cm so I felt safe going out my door. It wasnt a blizzard.My speed was not excessive and I drove according to conditions.In fact the road has a 20 kph limit. I was doing bout 10 kph and if I was faster than that it would have shown up on the damage report as bent rad support,damaged susp etc. The only damage I incurred was an 8 " crack on the right side of the bumper and I have a witness to prove it. I cant help it that the city plow drivers like to store snow in front of a barrier and build a ramp for people to jump thier cars. I cant help it that the dross on the side of the road was excessive and pulled us in when I could not steer. I cant help it that there was no sand on that or any hill to get down. That is the cities responsibilty isnt it? Or am I supposed to sand em myself to satisfy due dilligence? Was I supposed to stay home? It was 5 cm of snow guys. Cmon be realistic. Im sure I have driven in worse but under better controlled conditions where due diligence had been practiced and the roads properly taken care of with zero issues.

The city is well aware of the circumstances They have a very bad habit of not clearing snow in an area that has narrow and twisty roads,most of which are on an incline of 10 degree's or more.Once again they are aware as well and did nothing,historically have done nothing as well. There is more than one op involved in responsible driving and road saftey. Yes I am the first line of defence. No I cannot bare the entire responsiblity. This is the point Im trying to make. I think it's a reasonable expectation to have the roads sanded and plowed for safe transport by 11 am in the morning,especially considering there was only 5 cm of snowfall.I had zero awareness of the cities plow schedule until the city works manager told me,so what am I supposed to be psycic now? I recieved no mailings or any kind of communication whatsoever in this regard ever. These expectations were not met,especially considering it wasnt a ton of snow. My view point is that a crew of 4 is not adequate to clean 146 km of road 24/7.

So if these hills are a priority,why were they not serviced for a 5 hour period? Why wasnt extra personell called out to get the job done? They know the problems up here and have done squat.

I have even had it implied that this area doesnt pay much tax due to lower property values and we get what we deserve. So we dont have equal rights? What about all the tax money I pay and they use it for projects not in west trail? Ridiculous attitude and not even an arguement.

The tow truck op has an Im not libel thingy for damages on his bill. He is still libel for not practicing due diligence. I phoned him up and told him he did $950 worth of damage. He said I dont care.He also said he uses nylon tow straps,yet they were not brought out for this job. I never saw them.

I think that pretty much sums it up for the op's attitude right there. Some one who has an im not libel for damages thingy on his reciepts also seems to think it's a blank cheque to protect him from his lack of responsibility.Not good. Or is this also my responsibilty for phoning the wrong op who happens to be an asshole??

As for running for mayor,not likely to happen. I cant stand polititians. They are all lcorrupt power hungry liars,cheats,bullies,thieves and backstabbers. I have no desire to be part of such a poisonous atmosphere. I'd go to jail within the first week for shooting them.

Thank God you are okay. The one thing regarding a law suit in this, first get the advice of a lawyer with the "we are free until you collect" phrase to give you some insight to know your chances. And make sure they have experience with suits agains city/county issues similar to this.

My friend in Canada says"unfortuately up here the snow removal drivers only plow in the winter at the same rate they plow in the summer!"

There is a local lawyer who is very good and takes on just this sort of thing.I'll need to have the measure of him and tell him my story to see if he thinks you are right,but I'd rather do everyone a service rather than a disservice. The city would pay any settlement with tax dollars,so morally it's not O.K for me now that I have had this great discussion with the good folks of Fabo.

The tow op called and seeing how I was still pissed and had nothing nice to say,I let him leave a message. It seems he would like to hear what I want from him and how he can settle this problem. It's good to know he is willing.

I'll call him when I cool off. I think some pics are in order as well,so the next walk Lola and I take will have some focus for me. I think there are some good ones waiting to be taken.

My advice-- grow up and know when to stay home, one day out of school would have saved you all this torture you are getting. Everybody wants to sue and not take any of the blame, didn't your mother teach you to use sound judgement? Belly up dude you were wrong on this one, we have all done something dumb in our life time and have had to pay the piper now it is your turn. Just a thought!

Just remember people if needsaresto reads one of your post and he tries it and it doesnt work, he will sue you.

Maybe we need disclaimers on our "how to posts".

i missin something..
8 years experience with CANADAIAN Winters
hilly territory that is historicaly not first on snow removal...

and Not even chains!!!(way less expensive than stud tires)
*8 years to save up to protect your family*...a matter of priorites

can a person sue themself?

There is a local lawyer who is very good and takes on just this sort of thing.I'll need to have the measure of him and tell him my story to see if he thinks you are right,but I'd rather do everyone a service rather than a disservice. The city would pay any settlement with tax dollars,so morally it's not O.K for me now that I have had this great discussion with the good folks of Fabo.

The tow op called and seeing how I was still pissed and had nothing nice to say,I let him leave a message. It seems he would like to hear what I want from him and how he can settle this problem. It's good to know he is willing.

I'll call him when I cool off. I think some pics are in order as well,so the next walk Lola and I take will have some focus for me. I think there are some good ones waiting to be taken.

You need to understand, lawyers are there to make money. If you think you have a valid lawsuit, they will gladly work for you, with the understanding, at the end of the day it's how the judgement is handed down win or lose. They are, in effect, storytellers and negotiators in a brutal world. They will be paid. Been there done it! It's really up to you and how big YOUR balls are. We won our case against a developer who purchased one of our properties and it was fun doing it, but its not for the weak. Their fee $750.00hour. Be prepared to do alot of work yourself.
That is were I learned to be an a**hole! although some may disagree.
:read2:

glad to hear everyones okay as for the snow plowing thing sueing them i wouldnt but i would try to get a petition and show the city and try to get better results for next year or atleast the rest of this year, as for the tow truck ordeal he provided a service you got stuck he got you unstuck i'd be upset to that there was damage done to your vehicle but atleast your still not standing there wondering how you'll get your van outta that mess look on the bright side atleast it was just that and not something major and atleast the towtruck driver called you back and asked what he could do to help, being not liable thats what we have car insurance for right?

and if all else fails maybe get a powerwagon for those ruff winter months
goodluck and i hope it all works out for ya
Terry

You will just be sueing yourself, your friends, and your neighbors. If your ability to drive, or the limitations of your vehicle, are superceeded by inclement weather of any kind you should be parked. Glad you are ok, and also glad every one else on the road is ok.

First,glad you and your son are o.k.Second,if you follow through with a lawsuit you better be prepared to possibly loose you driver,s licence.Once there lawyers dig into your past and health issues,they could very well yank your licence.I say your treading on thin ice,let it go.

First,glad you and your son are o.k.Second,if you follow through with a lawsuit you better be prepared to possibly loose you driver,s licence.Once there lawyers dig into your past and health issues,they could very well yank your licence.I say your treading on thin ice,let it go.
My stepson has MS,was driving back from town,hit a deer,noone hurt,totaled the car,insurance cancelled,still has his license but can't get insurance. It really depends on how deep your pockets are. Petty is right,you may lose more than its worth.

O.K haters,just remember when you post useless stuff as usual I dont read past the first line. You dont warrant me wasting my time,so even if there is a gem amongst all the poop I wont read it because you started the thread with a moparts attitude. My advise to you. Give me your address. I have a present I'd like to send you.Your children will love it!

Morons obviously dont read the entire thread before posting. If you did you would know Im now planning a petition for better snow removal and sanding plans. No matter how good you think they are ,thier not good enough.

City dont need to buy more equipment or hire more personel. They just need to be proactive and use what they have more efficiently.

What is needed is what I would call a shortstop. Someone who can fill in when theres an emergency or real need because they cannot keep up..

A lawsuit based on medical condition would be called discrimination by any good lawer. Cant do that here in Canada,not allowed according to our charter of rights.

I hope you aren't calling me a hater and threatening my family for answeing a question you asked.! Threatening my children isn't healthy.

neglect ....

in order to sue for neglect or the failure to act....the city/county or state has to be told that the pot hole is there and needs to be fixed.

Its more then a pot hole ,its many and the city gets calls on them frequintly and snow is snow. You seeit ya move it.

A lawsuit based on medical condition would be called discrimination by any good lawer. Cant do that here in Canada,not allowed according to our charter of rights.

Not throwing rocks, But when I went to my Doctor the week he stated if I was taking some of my prescription meds and the drove. I could be arrested for a DUI. I was bummed.

O.K haters,just remember when you post useless stuff as usual I dont read past the first line. You dont warrant me wasting my time,so even if there is a gem amongst all the poop I wont read it because you started the thread with a moparts attitude. My advise to you. Give me your address. I have a present I'd like to send you.Your children will love it!

Morons obviously dont read the entire thread before posting. If you did you would know Im now planning a petition for better snow removal and sanding plans. No matter how good you think they are ,thier not good enough.

City dont need to buy more equipment or hire more personel. They just need to be proactive and use what they have more efficiently.

What is needed is what I would call a shortstop. Someone who can fill in when theres an emergency or real need because they cannot keep up..
If this was directed at me,so be it.I read your whole thread FYI and was just trying to give you a heads up.I have friends with MS that can,t drive.Have a nice day.:angry7:

Daredevil no I didnt mean you. Your comment was usefull and I will take your advise. At least you get that this thread is about advise,not abuse. It's just the useless negative comments Im refferring to. Stuff that children spout out because they dont have manners yet. And I wasnt talking about you either petty. You are always helpfull. I agree they would try to make it about MS,but it's not gonna happen. It's going to be a petition now (how many times do I have to say this before the haters figure this one out?)..

There is a ton of abuse on this board as of late. It seems every moparts reject has come here. Strokerscamp I wish you would tell me who abused you so bad you are leaving for good.They have a gift coming in the mail....

Sorry guys, I must be a hater. I hate it when people screw up, then try to blame someone else with a lawsuit. I live on a mountain, and if there is any question about it's safety in the winter, we stay home. We also try never to get in a situation where we have to go downtown in the snow.

You keep asking opinions, then get mad when people give them....?

Nope just when it's rude and belittling,or someone trying to draw me into a dick measuring contest. I just can't be bothered with it.Totally unneccesary. All I can say to baiting type haters is you win;your the bigger dick. . Sometimes folks assume a little too much as well.

And I've been saying for 2 pages,there aint gonna be a lawsuit. It was a frustrated response to an on going historical issure that so far 90% of local folks I speak with agree with.City hall so far is not responsive to the issues in a permanent manner. They make a big show of things after there is an accident up here and then fall back into the same old pattern. It's irresponsible. And Im not the only one affected. My mother inlaw recently could not get out to get meds. It's things like that which occur. They are playing with fire and I intend to make sure city hall does NOT get sued,by affecting a positive change to thier snow removal program. Go ahead and hate that to death...

So petition it is.

-
Back