Side pipes?

-
I like what you're proposing. Once someone mentions sidepipes, everyone thinks of the chrome ones posted on the first page. I agree they look cheesy and dated. But some flat black ones like off a Cobra but built to the length of your vehicle would look bad *** in my opinion. Could be built pretty easily and you could put any length muffler that you wanted inside.

The car would need to have a lot of the other ques from the era. Air shocks, rear tires stickin out past the quarters.......you know, all that. Then it could look super cool. Like 70s super cool. Like this.

View attachment 1715091473

I couldn't find a good example of a Dart, but it can be done. It's real easy to make it look stupid though, so you need to be careful. Anyone that doesn't like that Challenger has somethin wrong with um.
^^^^^^^^^^
there is something wrong w/ mwa then, I don`t like tires sticking outside any car or truck, don`t care for sidepipes on many cars. they have to have the right shape or the pipes suck. would look terrible on a fastback barracuda !

I had this idea once, to run about a foot and half long collector extension straight into some really fast-acting automatic dumps, like BOVs. Then T into the collector and run some really small exhaust pipes under the rockers to the rear wheels, and dress 'em up as black sidepipes, no mufflers at all. Pipes just big enough to cruise the interstates. Well maybe just a Purple-Horney. Then when I open her up, those automatic dumps instantly open up and we're gone!
Sidepipes do occasionally sound like crap, mostly on chebbies but I think it has more to do with the tune. Most of those old chebbies had small cams and tuning issues,lol, and 5 or 6 inch baloney-slash tips were no help either.

Some things to consider tho are ground clearance and you are moving weight around,to the wrong end; in addition to the leg-branding issue,lol.
I really like 'em on 59 Chevs,and other LWB cars. I seen 'em once on a 69 or 70 Caprice or Belaire, wagon with a BB in it.That looked pretty good too. That beast had a lot of get-up-N-gooooo!

Last edited:
How about some zoomies? Remember those? The four pipes that come out in front of the rear wheels. Like the Mad Max Falcon. I had them on my first 64 Sport Fury. Almost went deaf. Took them back off. Same with a truck i had with the exhaust dumping in front of the rear tire. Couldn't take the racket.

Kindof like the Vette's?
I mean I was practically sitting on the exit. At least it had a pretty good bass note,
unlike the screaming banshees on my car; Dynomax 3in x 3out. Actually they only scream between 5 a 7 thousand WOT rpm. The rest of the time they are very nice, with full 3" tailpipes. It's just that from collectors to bumper, the pair are about 75pounds! I told my wife she can't ride along anymore she slows me down too much. KIDDING! I'd never say that to her face,lol. Besides the was only 105.........42 years ago.......
It's first gear, and she spins all the way thru and then some, so 75 pounds ain't no big thing,lol. Lessee 75pounds/8pounds per hp= 9.3hp. Shoot that's only like;3 pushmowers right? Or a 305 chebby

i think side pipes will look great...in chrome
i think they will look cheap, and like a cop out, if painted, just like when people paint bumpers that were supposed to be chromed

i think side pipes will look great...in chrome
i think they will look cheap, and like a cop out, if painted, just like when people paint bumpers that were supposed to be chromed
Well, I can't quite agree. I don't particularly want to see my wife in the same nighties she wore, before having babies, took her figure. So to that end powdercoat 'em body color,lol .

I don't have lakepipes, but I do have sidepipes. I both love them because driving next to solid objects (tunnels, guardrails, concrete walls) with your window down sounds amazing, but it also sucks because you go deaf in one ear.

Yeah;tunnels, covered bridges,or skyscrapers downtown.... Let her buck.
Or idle by in overdrive. I can do 700rpm at 20mph. Retard the timing and listen to the lope.

Last edited:
In year past I would say no but now I kind of like the nastalgia of the 70s look.
I saygo for it.

I think they definitely look good on vans here is a pic of mine. Vans not done yet just mocking things up.
IMG_26521.jpg

I've never heard them, honestly never seen them in person. Wouldn't know what to expect. The 340 rumble already with a half rusted out exhaust comeing out the hind end.

:rofl:at Logan .. That is classic .. Just saw a 69 Vette the other day with sidepipes .. Sounded pretty damm good too .. Built a set for my 66 Ranchero .. First car .. Still had the stock 4v 289 in it .. Used a 30" x 4" glass pack and truck exhaust tubing for rest of it .. When the Ranchero got the mo' betta 289 the sidepipes got retired for headers and turbo mufflers .. Been hooked on that tinny header sound ever since .. Now i get that Logan look with the 1100 Honda with the drag pipes :rolleyes:

I came across some more old pics today of my 73 dart sport with the side pipes on it and silver colored rally wheels....that is me (100 lbs. lighter than now) and my wife (still looks the same)

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

-
Back