side stripe picks wanted.

-

player1up

Reaction score
alright guys/gals the duster should be painted in a couple of days and I'm going to put a side stripe on it but I want some picks of side stripes to help me decide.

here are a couple of options..I'm leaning toward the thick stripe

going on a 73 duster Blue with silver stripe..

Thanks

654643_3_full.jpg

Demon71.jpg

IMHO
I am kind of a fan of the oem look. The first stripe looks too wide, the second makes it look like a demon. On a duster my favorite stripe set is the 71-72 side stripes. I would also put the rear stripe package on too, but use the correct for 73.

I am just about to start my winter project which will be painting my 74 duster(I will post some progress pics as I go along). I plan to use the 73 and up rear stripe and the 71-72 side stripes with the 340 callouts. In my mind this is the best looking way to go

I too like the stripe with call outs. BUT...
I should have mentioned that I have put months into getting the center body line straight, however I'm not convinced that it is straight enough for me. and this being a daily driver I'm not going to spend the __ months more doing it "perfect" so the stripe down the middle it is ( to cover up the body line) .... :( maybe I should just wait till the paint hits it to decide.

yes I know that is the piss poor way to do it but when I have 2 years or 4k to spend that is when it will be corrected. sorry

1973_duster_340_drvr_fender_250x125.jpg

Here' s the factory 73/74 style. Personnally I think it looks best on the right years. I certainly hope the body work is not that bad that you feel you need to hide it with a stripe. If it is that bad, you'll still see some of it even with a coverup. Maybe spend a few extra days with a sanding block and you'll be A LOT happier no matter which stripe you choose.

I like the callout stripes too, but my car is a 1970 Duster 340. So here is a picture of mine. Now I'm glad I used the correct stripe kit.

DSC00065(1) (Small).JPG

The body work isn't bad but I know its not perfect. I have been over that thing for weeks with a block and it seems like its not sharp enough or something.. I guess I've waited this long, I shouldn't give up now. I do have a few more days left for fine tuning so we'll see.
Thanks for the encouragement.

73/74 stripe is the only one that will look right with that body style in my opinion......i too would work that body into submission. it will show in the end result with the effort put in to it.

Player... the bodylines on a Duster weren't sharp from the factory. They were rounded off so they don't have to be absolutly perfect as long as they line up really good from fender to door and q panel to door. The ones that gave me the most fits were at the back end of the quarters. Those need to be close. If you used 2k primer and sanded with at least 400 it should have enough gloss to where you can sight reflections down the side of the car and see where they're off. Patience...sanding is cheap but it pays off big time went its time to let the paint fly.

And as far as the stripes ..go with what you like. I went with 71 sides and 70 rear because I didn't like the 71 rear.

Don't know how long you're planning on keeping it but..... for the purpose of resale only, you should go with a factory stripe. Maybe some funky color, but still a factory stripe. I just put a red factory stripe on my black 72 duster. Never made em that way, but they should have! gotten lots of good comments on it.

I put Duster stripes on my '73 Dart Sport. ( I beleve they're '71 ). Do what you like the best. :thumbrig:

Duster Dart pics 024 (Small).jpg

Maybe I am trying to make the lines too sharp. It's just been a while since I owned one and it's not like I can go down to the dealer and look :)
I should have mentioned that this car is one of those "take the best from all the years" type thing. oh, as for resale, they can take the car from me when they pry the keys from my cold dead fingers... I had 2 dusters years ago and kicked myself after selling each.. apparently I'm a slow learner.
Thanks for the pics guys. I'm not necessarily looking for something stock, just cool, but I do like the 70-1 style. I'm not sure if some of the ones I've seen are completely aftermarket or just seldom used stripe option.. for instance no one uses the triple gold duster stripe down the middle any more, or at least haven't seen one that's not 30 some years old. probably because it's ugly but...

OK so the body work is straight enough for me not to have to cover it up.... however after painting this weekend ...the color is all hosed... can't get metallic to be all one color. zebra looking on the hood roof and trunk. the rest of the car seems to look ok but I've already started wet sanding it back out.......

the good thing about the whole experience is that the body gets one more good sanding..

so the question is..

how to get the metallic to lay correctly?

What solid color blues are out there that fall into the same category as like sublime? is b3 blue really that bright?

Not sure I want to drop the money to "see" if I can get the metallic to work out.....

oh well only a weeks worth of sanding and $100 for the paint.... and I was soooo worried about how straight it is... maybe should have spent more time reading and ...poking myself in the eye one rough weekend

gnight

-
Back