Side trim hole fill…???

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Long story short: What should be used to fill the side trim holes so that I can apply a 68 GTS stripe/decal??

Yes, the car is already painted.

Yes, I should have thought about before paint, but I thought trim and clips would be easier and cheaper to find.

Thoughts?? Thanks!

IMG_4788.png

What I did in the past. Hard to get at all the holes but. I put masking tape on all the holes on the outside. Then use JB weld Quick-Set and glue small pieces of metal on the back of the hole. The tape on the outside prevents the glue from pushing through the hole. You'll need to clean and rough up the back of the hole to metal as well as ream the paint from the hole. Also rough up the metal piece to be glued.

When the glue is set up in 10 minutes remove the tape then carefully scrape the glue flush with a new razor blade. Add filler glue to low holes that show up when scraping flush. Make sure you run tape above and below the hole so not to damage the paint when scraping. This process takes time but worked for me . Do two or three holes at a time. Quick-Set scrapes easy if done withing an hour. In 24 hrs it gets hard like a rock. Good luck and take your time. Took me Days but I didn't have to repaint the car.

If the cars paint is cured you could tape off and apply sandable primer with an air brush to perfectly smooth the area under the stripe at the holes, This will prevent any imperfections from showing though the stripe. The GTS stripe is pretty wide so you will have a good area to work with.

What I did in the past. Hard to get at all the holes but. I put masking tape on all the holes on the outside. Then use JB weld Quick-Set and glue small pieces of metal on the back of the hole. The tape on the outside prevents the glue from pushing through the hole. You'll need to clean and rough up the back of the hole to metal as well as ream the paint from the hole. Also rough up the metal piece to be glued.

When the glue is set up in 10 minutes remove the tape then carefully scrape the glue flush with a new razor blade. Add filler glue to low holes that show up when scraping flush. Make sure you run tape above and below the hole so not to damage the paint when scraping. This process takes time but worked for me . Do two or three holes at a time. Quick-Set scrapes easy if done withing an hour. In 24 hrs it gets hard like a rock. Good luck and take your time. Took me Days but I didn't have to repaint the car.

If the cars paint is cured you could tape off and apply sandable primer with an air brush to perfectly smooth the area under the stripe at the holes, This will prevent any imperfections from showing though the stripe. The GTS stripe is pretty wide so you will have a good area to work with.
Interesting. Wish I had asked the question before I put the car together. Most holes would be accessible after popping off door panels perhaps. I’m going to give this some serious thought. Thank you.

Did this with the doors and fenders on my Hardtop. Almost 10 years now and no issues what so ever. You don't get the distortion with lead as you can with welding them up and possibly having to shrink your panels after. You do need to taper the holes.Sorry not many pics. You also need the flux . I got it from Eastmans.

-
Back