Slant 6 bolt on's!

-
Bottom line,do you want a slow V8,or a peppy slant?A 14 second V8 is kinda embarassing.A 14 second slant is something to be proud of.My opinion.Guzzi Mark

Damn you're a tease !!!Gonna make me go back and think about this again aren't you ?? I sure do hate the decision making process !!! Have you ever checked into STS Turbo systems ??

http://ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems

No, I had not heard of them, prior to this, but their single turbo kit sounds tempting, and likely could save you a lot of time, if not money.

I am not convinced that rear-mounted turbos are the way to go, particularly in the case of a /6, for several reasons, not the least of which is the abundance of room available under the hood of a /6 car, once you've moved the battery to the trunk (something that I think should be done in any case.)

I believe the closer the turbo is to the exhaust port (in the head,) the better the system will operate.

To put this in the proper perspective, I think it's important to remember that Tom's '70 Dart (Tom is Shaker223 on FABO) two-door hardtop, ran 12.95 @ 104-mph on a well-worn (225) engine, by adding a junk-yard Buick Grand National turbo to his mostly stock /6-904 car.

Stock head, stock pistons, stock cam.... I think he had an aftermarket manifold and carb... street gearing. I don't THINK the car had slicks...

Here's the video...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPe_vHwZsF4"]Slant Six Turbo 1970 Dodge Dart 1/4 Mile pass - YouTube[/ame]

Think about what's you'd have to do by way of parts/modifications, to get a normally-asprated /6 into the 12's in a 3,300-pound car...

How street-drivable would it be???

THEN make your decision. :burnout:

:)
Bill

:glasses7:
Bottom line,do you want a slow V8,or a peppy slant?A 14 second V8 is kinda embarassing.A 14 second slant is something to be proud of.My opinion.Guzzi Mark

You're right...

But, 14 seconds is good...

12 seconds is better, and

11 seconds is better yet!

I think you can build a high 11-second A-Body turbo /6 car as cheaply and as easily as you can build a high 12-second, normally-aspirated A body, if we're talking 2.900-3.100-pound cars, here.

Mark's MIracle Maker need not apply... (2,300 pounds???)
Gid oudda here!!! LOL!!!:glasses7:

:glasses7:

You're right...

But, 14 seconds is good...

12 seconds is better, and

11 seconds is better yet!

I think you can build a high 11-second A-Body turbo /6 car as cheaply and as easily as you can build a high 12-second, normally-aspirated A body, if we're talking 2.900-3.100-pound cars, here.

Mark's MIracle Maker need not apply... (2,300 pounds???)
Gid oudda here!!! LOL!!!:glasses7:

well im knocking on the door of 13's NA... street driven and get 20mpg lol

well im knocking on the door of 13's NA... street driven and get 20mpg lol

But, look what you have given up in terms of street-friendly driveability with the rear end gears (not freeway friendly,) raised stall speed (a turbo motor can use a stock torque converter, unless you need every tenth) to accommodate the charcterisics of the long-duration cam, and with the addition of the 4.88's it can only get worse. Quicker, to be sure, but unless you provide an overdrive, freeway driving will become a thing of the past. For some weird reason, the turbo motors seem to work best with axle ratios in the 2's.... 2.76, etc... The short duration cams they also like, idle pretty much like a stock cam, so there is no loss of low end torque, so there's no necessity for a looser converter. $$$ saved...

On the other hand....

You have done an excellent job with your Dart in getting the e.t.'s and speeds out of it to this date, but I think the (relatively) cheap and easy stuff has pretty much been exploited to the fullest, and further improvements in performance are still very much do-able, but will come at a higher price, now. Just my opinion...

Congratulations on a job well-done. I'd say that low 14's out of a street-driven /6 powered Dart like yours is really a worthwhile accomplishment!

I'll bet it's a FUN RIDE!!!!:cheers:

Bill

But, look what you have given up in terms of street-friendly driveability with the rear end gears (not freeway friendly,) raised stall speed (a turbo motor can use a stock torque converter, unless you need every tenth) to accommodate the charcterisics of the long-duration cam, and with the addition of the 4.88's it can only get worse. Quicker, to be sure, but unless you provide an overdrive, freeway driving will become a thing of the past. For some weird reason, the turbo motors seem to work best with axle ratios in the 2's.... 2.76, etc... The short duration cams they also like, idle pretty much like a stock cam, so there is no loss of low end torque, so there's no necessity for a looser converter. $$$ saved...

On the other hand....

You have done an excellent job with your Dart in getting the e.t.'s and speeds out of it to this date, but I think the (relatively) cheap and easy stuff has pretty much been exploited to the fullest, and further improvements in performance are still very much do-able, but will come at a higher price, now. Just my opinion...

Congratulations on a job well-done. I'd say that low 14's out of a street-driven /6 powered Dart like yours is really a worthwhile accomplishment!

I'll bet it's a FUN RIDE!!!!:cheers:

Bill

right now its plenty freeway freindly... with the 3.91's it cruses @ 3100rpm @ about 62mph depending on hills and what not!

right now its plenty freeway freindly... with the 3.91's it cruses @ 3100rpm @ about 62mph depending on hills and what not!

Well, I guess "freeway friendly" is a matter of personal taste... You drive 62 mph around here on the Interstate, and these Arkansas hillbillies will run over you in their LS-inspired farm trucks... LOL!!!!

With a 28"-tall tire, and 3.91 gears, 75 mph works out to 3,523 RPM, (plus converter slip)not exactly a relaxed crank speed for a motor with a 4.125" stroke.

Not really what ~I'd~ call "freeway friendly."

Your planned 4.88's will require 4,397 RPM at the same (75 mph)freeway speed... plus converter slip.

Not a recipe for long engine life...

Well, I guess "freeway friendly" is a matter of personal taste... You drive 62 mph around here on the Interstate, and these Arkansas hillbillies will run over you in their LS-inspired farm trucks... LOL!!!!

With a 28"-tall tire, and 3.91 gears, 75 mph works out to 3,523 RPM, (plus converter slip)not exactly a relaxed crank speed for a motor with a 4.125" stroke.

Not really what ~I'd~ call "freeway friendly."

Your planned 4.88's will require 4,397 RPM at the same (75 mph)freeway speed... plus converter slip.

Not a recipe for long engine life...

thats why i dont drive 75 lol... and most of our freeways here are... but thats why there is a slow lane...

as for the 86's i'll either switch them out to go a long distance or trailer it...

thats why i dont drive 75 lol... and most of our freeways here are... but thats why there is a slow lane...

as for the 86's i'll either switch them out to go a long distance or trailer it...

My '72 Valiant with the supercharged 360 Magnum has 4.10s in it with 28" tires, and it'll run about 60 at 3,000 rpm, but that's not much fun...disgust

On my way to the drag strip (60 miles, one way,) I stay on the back roads... and out of peoples' way, hopefully...

If you are going to keep the slant definately check out the classifeids on this site and on slantsix.org.. they'll save you money big time..

Bill , boy that is one sweet lookin engine, got to love the turbo

Thanks for the kind words. We have had an uphill battle with this install as we have not only had to build the ENGINE, but the car as well.

By that, I mean, the car we put it into was a grandma's 1964 Valiant 4-door that was sitting out in a vacant lot, and hadn't been driven for FIFTEEEN YEARS, so everything on the car was worn out, deteriorated over time, or just wrong for our purposes, so we had to replace EVERYTHING with the kind of parts that were appropriate for our application (drag racing.) That included replacing the engine, front suspension with tubular upper control arms and disc brakes, installing a B-body 8,75" rear end, Cal-Trac bars, a "bastard" torque converter, 4 new shocks, a new 7290 u-joint drive shaft, a new aluminum radiator, electric fan and water pump, a complete fuel system with a fuel cell and 3/8" line and an electric fuel pump, removal of the complete interior with the addition of two "racing bucket" seats, and a roll bar... the windshield, an intercooler, and a fiberglass, pin-on, hood.

Plus, there was a lot of body work (some, dealing with rust) that needeed to be done before the car could be painted....

So, just building an engine (a monumental task in itself, for two old guys whose combined age amounts to over 145...) was not the bulk of our work schedule. Then, I ended up having a toe amputated; that slowed me down, and the fact that the car is at Fredddie's garage, which is a 70-mile round trip from MY house, didn't help...

So, there are many reasons why this "exercise" has been a slow one...

But the car is now ready for paint, and the engine is "finished," By that, I mean, the cam is broken-in and the engine is ready to run at the strip.

Now, comes the proof of the pudding... LOL!

We still have to add the fuel pump and line and do some wiring, but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel... we just hope it's not the headlight on a locomotive... :eek:ops:

BTW I'm the idiot in the white coat, in the picture...

Attachments

• js640_js640_scan0043.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 146
  • js640_frednme.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 152
-
Back