slant 6 to v8 swap.

-

vallianted

Reaction score
hey all new to the group.doing a swap on our 65 valliant rag top.wonder what I need to change out the throttle linkage.
Ted

Early A ('66 and earlier) cable operated throttle linkage.
Early A engine mount brackets and insulators.
Early A V8 steering center link (slant 6 link is flat, V8 link has a dropped center section for oil pan clearance).
Early A V8 exhaust manifolds.
22" A body V8 radiator compatible with the year engine you're using.
V8 accessory drives for what your car is equipped with (PS, AC, etc.).
V8 (smallblock) transmission.
Heavier torsion bars.
Probably bigger brakes and heavier rear end.
And depending on what year engine/transmission that you want to swap in:
Driveshaft (yours is ball & trunnion, newer ones are slip yoke and U joints).
Different speedo cable.
Different shift linkage and/or steering column (yours is cable operated, newer transmissions are mechanical linkage).
And a whole bunch of other little things.
Lots of threads on this- in the "Early A" forum, use the search button for "V8 swap" and you'll be reading all night long.
BTW, welcome to the site!
:welcome:

Last edited:
hey all new to the group.doing a swap on our 65 valliant rag top.wonder what I need to change out the throttle linkage.
Ted
The pedal and hinge assembly itself, the firewall bell crank assembly, and the proper cable of course. Maybe some carb hardware depending on which carb you're using. Accelerator cable mounting bracket and return spring bracket. As the professor mentioned, there's lots of other stuff to do the job correctly.

Engine harness is different. You can splice and dice the slant 6 harness but it’s actually a cheap upgrade to make. Avoid the electrical gremlins.

Engine harness is different. You can splice and dice the slant 6 harness but it’s actually a cheap upgrade to make. Avoid the electrical gremlins.

On my 66 Valiant, it had a 170 and swapped to a 340 and used the same wiring harness with no issues, only spliced some wiring in for the aftermarket ignition is all

On my 66 Valiant, it had a 170 and swapped to a 340 and used the same wiring harness with no issues, only spliced some wiring in for the aftermarket ignition is all
Yup, the only two wires that are different are the oil sending unit and the coil wire....both are a bit longer than what is needed. To make it look like a V8 harness, just fold those two wires back against the harness and re-wrap the outer tape.

Transmission you need (assuming you need one) is listed for sale in classifieds…

-
Back