Slant and a 5 or 6 speed manual trans

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
I am curious what the posibilities are for planting at least a 5 speed into my truck behind my Slant. My slant has always ran great and done me well and it gets almost 20mpg so I don't feel like losing that with a big block or a small block. Either way any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

I was looking more for a way to adapt a trans from a Dakota or maybe one of the 2006ish ram trucks with the 6 speed and the 4.6 I think it is. Do those 4.6 V6 have the same bellhousing flange as the rest of normal small blocks. Maybe someone making an adapter plate or something.

Thanks
Jeff

I was looking more for a way to adapt a trans from a Dakota or maybe one of the 2006ish ram trucks with the 6 speed and the 4.6 I think it is. Do those 4.6 V6 have the same bellhousing flange as the rest of normal small blocks. Maybe someone making an adapter plate or something.

Thanks
Jeff

I see. I don't tthink they are the same....but that's not a hard problem to overcome. You'd need to make sure the depth that the transmission engages the bellhousing is right, though. But insofars simply making the transmission bolt to the bellhousing, that should be relatively easy. It might even bolt on as is. I just don't know. I guess everyone else is ignoring you......but I'm trying to help at least.

Have you checked over on slant6.org? Seems to me I remember a bunch of threads on trans swaps and whatnot. MY DD is a slanty, but I'm just not that into it.

I know one guy swapped a truck 5 speed into a car on slant6.org. Sounds like he had to have an ear added to the slant bell and then it bolted on. Sounds like the perfect option for you.

I will try and find the thread.

Here's some dimensions on the NV4500, if you're interested. Not sure about the bolt pattern on the slant bell but this might help you with some measurements.

I'm going this route on my '78 F250 and keeping the 3 speed bell. Besides being versatile, the NV4500 for the Dodge truck can be had at a relatively low cost. One of my vendors quoted me $350, complete, out of a wrecked 360 truck.

Dimensions
NV4500 GM (6.34) GM (5.61) Dodge Dodge HD Main case 12.375" 12.375" 12.375" 12.375" 4WD Adapter Housing 8.125 8.125 6.25 6.25 2WD Tailhousing 6" Tailhousing 6" Tailhousing 13" Tailhousing 13" Tailhousing Yoke Fixed Yoke Fixed Yoke 30 spl Slip yoke 31 spl Slip yoke Input shaft stickout 6.625 6.625 7.625 7.625 Input shaft spline 1.125" 10spl 1.125" 10spl 1.125" 10spl 1.250" 10spl Pilot Dia .590" .590" .750" .750"
Bearing Retainer specification

Bellhousing T/O bearing
Index Dia. Snout Dia. GM NV4500 1993-95 5.125" 1.373" GM NV4500 1996 and up 5.60" none: Int Slave Cyl Dodge NV4500 Standard Duty 5.60" 1.43" Dodge NV4500 Heavy Duty 5.60" 1.75
Bellhousing Bolt Pattern:

• GM 1993-1995 10.078 across the top, 10.394 across the bottom, 4.685 vertically
  • GM 1996 + up 10.078 across the top, 9.738 across the bottom, 6.043 vertically
  • Dodge (All) 10.078 across the top, 9.738 across the bottom, 6.043 vertically

Here's the slant6.org thread.

I was wrong, he added ears for both top bolts. Sounds like the bearing retainer and bottom bolts were a match.

Trans was an A525 out of a later 80's Dakota. No idea on durability.

Dion I appreciate it. That is exactly what I am looking for and since it will be going into a slant truck then I think I may just have less problems actually getting it in. Durability isn't as huge a problem I mean my slant is stock so I think it will work perfect and when I do start building it up I am not going to drive it to death or anything so I think that I will be ok. The main thing I need to do is find someone doing a V8 swap that is getting rid of their slant so I can get an entire block or two. I appreciate the help.

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, when you start the swap PLEASE document it! I have considered the same thing behind my slant and I'm sure there are several others that would be interested. My car is a swinger, but most of it would be the same.

I don't know about your area, but in MO, slants go on craigs for next to nothing all the time.

Hey, I've got a decent slant in the Valinat that is going away here soon. Looks to be a good motor (or was when I dropped the pan several years ago). Your welcome to it, car is going to the crusher as soon as I can get a trailer.

Also, last time I was at Pull and Save, there was a 4 cylinder Dakota with no motor and a manual trans hanging there. Not sure if it's the right one, but it would be an easy grab if it was.

I am interested in this for my Valiant DD
hope somebody does it and please document it!
I dont have the ability to do the research and development but when its out there I will copy for my Valiant cause gas isnt getting any cheaper and Id like to convert from manual 3 on tree to 5 on floor just to cruise I have my Dart for BLASTIN around town
thank you FABO!
I love the connections I make here
great people!

Dion I would be more than happy to take that extra slant off your hands. I really appreciate that. It has always seemed like when everyone else wants to get rid of one for free I am never in the right place at the right time. This time it seems like my luck has changed.

I will be sure to document everything when I do start getting into it. My wife and I are moving into a bigger place here soon and I will have a garage again so as soon as that happens and the weather starts to turn I plan to tear it all apart and go to town trying to get the swapping to work.

Thanks for all the help guys

Jeff

Sounds like a great idea guys. I have a friend with a slant and a 833 od in a 42 Plymouth coupe. With a 4:10 rear gear he gets high 20's for mileage. The slant has plenty of bottom end torque so it should pull a 5 speed with ease. tmm

Damn,this sounds like a fun project !!!Wish my legs worked like they used to,I'd love to play with a 5 speed in my Dart !!:toothy8:

-
Back