Slant Six Points Ignition Trouble

-
Cars and trucks today are way over complicated all in the name of product improvement and the mechanic career field has not kept up with it all. In the end people have to spend more and more money for transportation at some point they will decide a different path. And to think Henry Fords idea was to make a car his employees could afford to buy.

Cars and trucks today are way over complicated all in the name of product improvement and the mechanic career field has not kept up with it all. In the end people have to spend more and more money for transportation at some point they will decide a different path. And to think Henry Fords idea was to make a car his employees could afford to buy.

I know. I think about that all the time. As it is now, the people that build them or work on them are doing well to afford one ten years old.

I know. I think about that all the time. As it is now, the people that build them or work on them are doing well to afford one ten years old.

Me......beat up Dakota 5.2 run around town, 01 beater unknown big time miles over 200K, big cab Cummins about 140K, and a 2004 GMC with 100K

Me......beat up Dakota 5.2 run around town, 01 beater unknown big time miles over 200K, big cab Cummins about 140K, and a 2004 GMC with 100K

LOW MILES!!! My lowest mile ride has almost 300k on it! My '84 Suburban 6.2 Diesel has a million miles on it (original engine never out of chassis)...

Points are inferior, but they do work. I think Japanese engines used them in the 1990's. Instead of burning up the starter cranking over the engine, you can remove the distributor and spin it by hand, but jumper the case to BAT- for it to work. Before that, do basic old school tests. Disconnect coil-. Turn key to "run". Measure coil+ to ground. Should be 12.6 V (full battery voltage) since no current is drawn thru the ballast. Connect an inline spark tester (Harbor Freight, $4 w/ neon light) from coil tower to gnd, or just pull pack the rubber and set the factory coil wire w/ metal tip ~1/2" from bare metal on the engine. Touch a jumper from coil- to gnd and release. Isolate your hands or you may get a taze. You should get a spark each time you release. As you hold it, you "charge up" the coil, which takes ~20 msec and that energy goes into a HV spark when you break the current. Don't hold it long or the ballast and coil will get hot. When the engine is running, turning that current on & off, I think you should measure ~8 V (average) from coil+ to gnd, due to the drop across the ballast. Yes, the ballast can get hot, which is why it is ceramic like in an electric hot plate, and even hotter if you leave the key in "run" when the points happen to be closed (don't, watch an early Breaking Bad episode). 67Dart273 is correct that measuring dwell is critical and the true adjustment. The points gap sets the dwell. You set the points by feeler gage just to get close to the proper dwell then fine-tune it based on a dwell meter.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a retired professional mechanic; still has a shop but works almost exclusively on old Studebakers. He knows how to convert to electronic ignition, and has done so on customer Studes, but really prefers points, which he runs on all of his own cars (other than his new minivan). He also doesn't like Holley carbs or hot cams or loose torque converters. Whatever, he's still a damn good mechanic, and his cars run well. Me - I don't leave anything stock. I converted my slant six Valiant to electronic ignition in 1991 and have had zero problems with it since. And after I converted my 49 Dodge to 12 volt negative ground, I also converted it from points to an HEI electronic ignition I got from Langdon Stovebolt. Didn't really need to; just did. Electronic ignitions perform better at higher rpm - especially compared to single point - but that's really not a consideration for most slant sixes, and certainly isn't for my flathead six. They also are lower maintenance, although most collector cars these days don't get driven often enough for that to be much of an issue, either. So, you can keep the points, or you can update. My two cents. . . .

-
Back