Slant Six Points Ignition Trouble

-
…which is another way of saying "constant hassle". The thing about points is they never work as well as an electronic system, and they begin deteriorating (wear/burn) the instant you hit the starter after replacing them. Electronic ignition means better combustion (more performance/better driveability/better gas mileage), longer effective spark plug life, and less maintenance. Win/win/win.

Read this (complete with cool old Plymouth ad and Chrysler Corp publicity video).

Also read this and this and this (featuring Gus Wilson and the Model Garage).

Points ignitions work, but they're inferior. That's not misinformation, that's just fact. There is a reason why you almost never see a car stalled on the side of the road any more. There's a reason why service bays have given way to C-stores at gas stations. It's because cars don't need near as much fiddlefutzing under the hood (on schedule and at random) as they used to. Electronic ignition gave things a hard shove in that direction.

I suppose to some. To me it's just regular maintenance.

…which is another way of saying "constant hassle". The thing about points is they never work as well as an electronic system, and they begin deteriorating (wear/burn) the instant you hit the starter after replacing them.

Bla de blizhibliz de blatde blizi bla bla

All that is true BUT THE GUY IS TRYING TO FIX HIS CAR. Some would argue that EFI is far superior, but when you have a carb problem are you going to immediately swap in an expensive EFI just to fix what might be a simple problem?

AFTER you get things calmed down, go ahead and plan an ignition swap. When you are fighting gremlins, trying to fix problems, that is NOT generally the time to 'convert everything'

F'n carb...Im going EFI, then all my problems will be solved:rofl:

....as long as its not a Fitech, FAST or a Megasquirt, or an Atomic, or Pro-Flow or...(insert aftermarket EFI name here) their help forums are pages long. Fix points? replace them for $4 or file them if they are cratered. Hey, they got 15,000 mile oil now too and trans dont even have dipsticks anymore.

Quick update for everyone, I've got spark! Thinking there are probably fuel issues now, so going to go down that path next. Definitely have to sort out the timing but I'm moving in the right direction. Points are still in for now. I have 90% of the parts for a 5.9 swap (besides the motor) which includes an MSD box to handle the ignition on the V8. In the meantime I'll learn all I can about this slant six.

one of the big issues I was having was the charging system and voltage regulator. For some reason my car has a single field alternator and once I pulled my head out of my a** and got the wiring for that figured out a lot of my problems went away.

Quick update for everyone, I've got spark! Thinking there are probably fuel issues now, so going to go down that path next. Definitely have to sort out the timing but I'm moving in the right direction. Points are still in for now. I have 90% of the parts for a 5.9 swap (besides the motor) which includes an MSD box to handle the ignition on the V8. In the meantime I'll learn all I can about this slant six.

With points, you can have spark and still no run. They must be adjusted correctly.

…which is another way of saying "constant hassle". The thing about points is they never work as well as an electronic system, and they begin deteriorating (wear/burn) the instant you hit the starter after replacing them. Electronic ignition means better combustion (more performance/better driveability/better gas mileage), longer effective spark plug life, and less maintenance. Win/win/win.

Read this (complete with cool old Plymouth ad and Chrysler Corp publicity video).

Also read this and this and this (featuring Gus Wilson and the Model Garage).

Points ignitions work, but they're inferior. That's not misinformation, that's just fact. There is a reason why you almost never see a car stalled on the side of the road any more. There's a reason why service bays have given way to C-stores at gas stations. It's because cars don't need near as much fiddlefutzing under the hood (on schedule and at random) as they used to. Electronic ignition gave things a hard shove in that direction.
Sorry. Those don't really prove anything. There are papers out there that do show the ways in which various ignitions can produce better flame kernals. And there are situations where that can be helpful enough to produce slightly better combustion or overcome difficult situations. That difficult situation could be due to prioritizing emissions reduction, or some hot rodding, or worn engine. None of that has much bearing on solving Raker's problem. Points will run that engine just fine. And a properly setup points ignition will kick the butt of any ignition that's not properly setup or curved. Are they a bit of a PIA on slant? Yup. But some folks enjoy the old technology, or at least learning it. I think its cool.

Good thing we're not in a court of law, eh! Whew!
:lol:
No it's a good thing YOU are not because you are full of crap. The man here is tryin' to fix his car. FIX it so it will run. The big improvements, upgrades, and re-engineering can come later. Just so you know, dipdan, I put a Mopar factory breakerless setup on my 340 swapped 70 RoadRunner way back around 73. NINETEEN 73. I had to do this by stripping out the harness, and getting/ borrowing a shop manual to wire it up. The point? I'm not some kid. The point? Yeah points suck. But converting a bunch of stuff is not done while trying to run down problems, at the hands of someone who is likely not an electrical expert. M'kay?

No it's a good thing YOU are not because you are full of crap. The man here is tryin' to fix his car. FIX it so it will run. The big improvements, upgrades, and re-engineering can come later. Just so you know, dipdan, I put a Mopar factory breakerless setup on my 340 swapped 70 RoadRunner way back around 73. NINETEEN 73. I had to do this by stripping out the harness, and getting/ borrowing a shop manual to wire it up. The point? I'm not some kid. The point? Yeah points suck. But converting a bunch of stuff is not done while trying to run down problems, at the hands of someone who is likely not an electrical expert. M'kay?
Ummm Dan?

Here is a tidbit on a digital 6 CD ignition and a recurved distributor, new wires and plugs on a tired slant. They did that all from a points setup and dynoed it. Did it pick up any power, YES! IIRC it was 2.2hp. Hardly worth the money or effort in my opinion. but if longevity, consistancy, and lack of maintenance is your goal, electronic is the way to go. Just pack a points dizzy in the trunk rescue box (as well as an extra ballast resistor and ECU) to get you home in case of electronic failure.

Quick update for everyone, I got the car to start today! there is a video on my Insagram (Rakers_SS). The points are still in it, but a new set. I had an extra points distributor that was freshly rebuilt, swapped that in and she fired up. Next is fuel system and throttle linkage. Previous owner installed a Holley carb and didn't have the bracket for the accelerator cable anymore.

Good for You! Points are very effective & pretty reliable, as long as they are quality units, & there in lies the wildcard for most of Us. I've never had a set of points leave Me stranded, but did have a failing condensor force Me to pull over every so many miles to let it cool, & occasionally wake up the 'hood on the re-start......KABOOM!!! LOL.....

Quick update for everyone, I got the car to start today! there is a video on my Insagram (Rakers_SS). The points are still in it, but a new set. I had an extra points distributor that was freshly rebuilt, swapped that in and she fired up. Next is fuel system and throttle linkage. Previous owner installed a Holley carb and didn't have the bracket for the accelerator cable anymore.

Good that you got it. Just got through replacing one coil in a 57 Evinrude has not been run in over 20 years. Checked the points for resistance, checked the "condensers" and replaced one coil. I have a timing tool which not only sets timing but point gap as well. Cleaned the carb and STARTED IT UP!!

IMG_2554cs.JPG

Seriously now....how many times have you ever seen points go bad in a lawn mower?

Dunno....how many hours you got on your lawn mower? :p

Good question. It's Daddy's old one. He passed away in 1998 and I think it was about ten years old then. All I've ever done to it was replace the plug, change the oil and give it a new air filter. I've replaced the handles on it once because the originals rusted out. Has the original rope starter although the rope is frayed. It still starts on the first pull and barely smokes on initial startup. It's one of those KMart specials they used to have lined up outside the store. I think he paid like 49 bucks for it.

Points ignition Are useless as a used condom they’re worthless.

Not totally useless. When I was a kid, we would turn them inside out, shake the f#*k out of them and reuse. Or shoot the used ones out our car windows at our buddies while dragging the gut. You got creative when you grew up poor.:poke:

Seriously now....how many times have you ever seen points go bad in a lawn mower?

Actually in some ways points have an easier life in a mag, because they are not switching relatively large amounts of DC. On the other hand many small engines the points open / close at crank speed, twice as fast as something with a distributor

I've had breaker points in many vehicles/ engines and can't say they were all that much trouble, really. Now that I'm old and feeble, l "I admit" changing dual points on a rear dist. engine like a 340 would be a PITA. I'd likely yank the dist. and go at it.

Actually in some ways points have an easier life in a mag, because they are not switching relatively large amounts of DC. On the other hand many small engines the points open / close at crank speed, twice as fast as something with a distributor

I've had breaker points in many vehicles/ engines and can't say they were all that much trouble, really. Now that I'm old and feeble, l "I admit" changing dual points on a rear dist. engine like a 340 would be a PITA. I'd likely yank the dist. and go at it.

That's always been my MO. I pull the distributor on any of them to change points. Just for that "WHAT IF" screw I drop. lol

This thread reminds me of the guy complainin' about a non syncro low gear Valiant. Hell when I started driving NObody I knew thought anything of it. In fact, my Uncle/ cousins had about a '50 Ford flathead pu truck with a spur gear crashbox. Those kids didn't have any trouble learning how!!

This thread reminds me of the guy complainin' about a non syncro low gear Valiant. Hell when I started driving NObody I knew thought anything of it. In fact, my Uncle/ cousins had about a '50 Ford flathead pu truck with a spur gear crashbox. Those kids didn't have any trouble learning how!!

Neither of my two vehicles has a syncro first gear. The 64 Valiant or my 75 Ford truck. Never bothers me a bit.

-
Back