Slant Six to Big block Engine swap in a 74 dart sport.

-

gearhead413

Reaction score
I recently bought a 74 dart sport for a grand and was oringally going to just do a small block swap but having a heck of a time finding a 340 or a 360.But have quite a few big blocks laying around.I see schumacher makes a conversion kit for it.And from my understanding you wont have power breaks which isn't a big deal since my car dont have it anyways,but what my concern is I want to keep power steering and the cooling system up to par with a big block and the front end componets to carry the extra weight.Would I be better off with a b-block or just go with rb block.And I would like to some trick tips and any advice to go about doing it.Thanks for the help guys.
Erik

the schumacher kit is def the way to go alot of us use it. Just make sure you set headers in before you drop motor in. Suspension wise I didn't change anything I just replaced all the old ball joints and what not. Hmm I lost the word I am looking for but there's some bars everyone says to change I haven't and car sits nice. I hear the heater motor gets in way with after market covers idk since mine was already gone. I haven't tried to put my power steering on yet. I assume you will need bigger radiator like a 22in i want to say people use. I just got a becool once since mine was falling apart. That's about all I can think of but I am not finished.

Alright thanks man for the input this is the first real project i'm gonna try to do myself drivetrain wise and paint and body.I was thinking about the be cool radiotor myself how much did it set ya back.And I was talking to a guy at work I thought he said if I went with a RB motor I would have to use a oil pan off a 60's B motor.You get the headers from schumacher as well?

With the late steering linkage you should be able to use any factory big block oil pan (I'm going to find out later this year, maybe). Go with bigger torsion bars and a sway bar for the street. Heavier rear springs, too. "B" or "RB" have their own fitment areas, but they both fit with power steering. Some headers won't work with power steering, though. We run B-body HP manifolds on our cars..

Thats a relife there would be nice to keep the power steering i'm not exatcly built like rambo.And another thing I was looking at through the day its already set up for hei so when I drop in a bbm could I just get a hei dist.or would I still have to get that kit made by proform.And could I get by with the stock rear diff or would I be better off with a 8.75 i'm not too concerend about the tranny the same guy at work buys 727 and sells seems like every mopar around her that has had the tranny swap has his tranny think he builds em to stock specs or would I be better off spending the 1200 on a beefier one by TCI?

Have you gotten the big block 727 as well? if so the 904 behind the slant will likely be a 904 and will bolt up to the big block. The 727 is about 4 inches longer than the 904 therfore the driceshaft will need to be shortend. That being said you should definately check what rear end is in the car. Likely a 7.25 but could be an 8.25, regardless you should find an 8.75 as the 7.25 wont last long and the 8.25 may not last long behind the big block.

Frame connectors or torque boxes may be a good idea too. Hope this helps!

T

hello how are my name is TOM and i am sarting my demon i have a 72 demon had slant 6 and 3 speed on the floor i am in the process of gutting it right now body is in really fair shpe got a little rust in it and a lot of surface rust it is blue blue blue i am wanting to change the color over to sublime green and black put rear spoiler on and hood scoops is there any advice you can give me i am also wanting to change the motor from a slant six to something not sure what to go with any ideas i am not wanting to sink thousands into the motor i am not looking to race i want sound and to burn the tires off and am not wanting something i have to work on all the time i brought this car back from oklahoma city 1 owner car i am the second i actually have the original title that tells what it had sold for it is really kinda cool old lady bought the car new i am not wanting to tub this car or anything i am wanting to keep it street legal but put it on the edge and make it what its name is thanks if you can help any

Well thats a relife I might get to keep the power steering cause i'm not exactly built like rambo .I got the trans mission idea figured out I was either gonna buy a 727 from a guy I work and seems like every big block mopar around here has one of his trannys in it including one hemi charger but I think he builds em to stock spec. Would I be better off buy spending the 1200 on a beefier from TCI, Another thing I was thinking about the ignition is already set up from electronic is there a way I could just get a hei distribtior or would I still have to get a hei conversion from proform or msd.And as for the rear it is a 7.25 I found a couple b-bodies 8.75 cause I think there 1.8 wider then a-body and I was thinking about bringing it to drive line specialties to have it narrowed up or should I avoid that idea.And I was going to run ladders bar on it with traction bars.Thanks again guys its been very helpful so far I was kind iffy about a big block in it but the more I read I've realized I've had worse idea lol.

I think the radiator was like 300 it was a universal one I'm pretty sure. I got the whole kit from schumacher mounts, headers and torque strap. The 440 I have its a early 70's I think but anyway its the stock oil pan and it went right in. As long as its a car oil pan I pretty sure you should be good. torsion bars thats the word i was looking for. Most say replace them with the bigger ones. I haven't but I also haven't driving the car yet either. Alot of guys use the 904 if its more for street use if you going to race the 727 is way to go. personal opinion of course. Same thing with rear end 7.25 junk wont hold with a 440. If its more street the 8.25 is ok the 8.75 is good but the pocket book has to open wide.

hello how are my name is TOM and i am sarting my demon i have a 72 demon had slant 6 and 3 speed on the floor i am in the process of gutting it right now body is in really fair shpe got a little rust in it and a lot of surface rust it is blue blue blue i am wanting to change the color over to sublime green and black put rear spoiler on and hood scoops is there any advice you can give me i am also wanting to change the motor from a slant six to something not sure what to go with any ideas i am not wanting to sink thousands into the motor i am not looking to race i want sound and to burn the tires off and am not wanting something i have to work on all the time i brought this car back from oklahoma city 1 owner car i am the second i actually have the original title that tells what it had sold for it is really kinda cool old lady bought the car new i am not wanting to tub this car or anything i am wanting to keep it street legal but put it on the edge and make it what its name is thanks if you can help any

Theres alot of ways to go. big block small block 318 340 360 383 440. The 340 is the motor everyone wants so cost more. 440 are pretty cheap to buy and just the kit its a easy install. With any /6 change over the rearend will have to be done. Other then that read the other stuff that's already been posted :)

I found a couple b-bodies 8.75 cause I think there 1.8 wider then a-body and I was thinking about bringing it to drive line specialties to have it narrowed up QUOTE]

I run a stock length 1967 b-body rear in my duster. just moved the spring perches in.

Attachments

• duster 007.2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 696
I think the radiator was like 300 it was a universal one I'm pretty sure. I got the whole kit from schumacher mounts, headers and torque strap. The 440 I have its a early 70's I think but anyway its the stock oil pan and it went right in. As long as its a car oil pan I pretty sure you should be good. torsion bars thats the word i was looking for. Most say replace them with the bigger ones. I haven't but I also haven't driving the car yet either. Alot of guys use the 904 if its more for street use if you going to race the 727 is way to go. personal opinion of course. Same thing with rear end 7.25 junk wont hold with a 440. If its more street the 8.25 is ok the 8.75 is good but the pocket book has to open wide.

Just rememnber if you are going with the big block, you have to have to get a 727 transmission. the 904 does not fit a big block. you can use the lighter torsion bars. The only thing is when you drive the car, you will get alot of down pushing on the turns with a big block and it will not handle as well when going fast on turns. The lighter torsion bars are great for drag racing, for better weight transfer as you leave the starting line. Make sure your oil pan for a big block has the number #699 or #187 on it.

I'd go with a low deck bb. Lighter weight and stronger in the mains. Can't beat a 451 stroker for the money IMO.

you can get an electronic distributor and just use it with your stock wiring harness. there are some headers that will allow you to run power steering. you arent stuck with manual. check out the champion radiators, they are cheap and fit nice. i wouldnt bother trying to buy a tci trans a good local builder can probably do better for less money.

-
Back