slant to 265 hemi

-

Valiant50

Reaction score
hi Guys,
Didn't know where to put this one
have a problem slanty is busted due to crack in number 6...engine have to come out and I need the car for a standby and the waiting period for spares is a bit long here in RSA
NOW:
In the corner of the garrage, carefully wraped is an Australian 265 hemi 6 with a TF904 plus correct k member - running rebuilt just standing there.
Somewhere on this forum someone did a similar conversion into a Dart
any ideas?

And YES I know it is not a true x flow Hemi by 426 standards - but US Chrysler engineers described it as a shallow dish hemi, based on the experimental ballstud hemi design and it is damn powerful.

If this is for the 60, I seriously doubt it'll fit without a lot of firewall or radiator support mods. The 265 is longer than a slant by a couple of inches at least.

I'd have to say that your '72 Ute would give you a good indicator of possible problems since it has the same engine bay as your '68. I'd give my left nut for the 265 for my Valiant, but she is the equivalent of your AP6. :sad2: What are you waiting for?

love those HEMIs - had a guy give me a ride in one when i was backpacking around Australia and New Zealand in 1991. Also guy around Christchurch had a 71 440-6 charger

that car moved too

still have a set of fender badges for each CID of those HEMIs somewhere and the book

this would be Hemi'cuda with difference as the hemi is 18kg lighter than the slant....
I am a restorer..but MAN that engine is just begging me -
Grumps - we never HAD the 60's Ozzie vals over here only US shapes here in South Africa
The 68 US enginebay is slightly shorter than the 72 and up VH - CM
From what I am seeing - a thinner fanspacer , and if worst come to worst use twin electric fans and no mechanical fan
Nice thing is that i have the K-member and it uses the stock transmission X member
just some back ground to RSA valiants

60 to 69 US same as US Valiants, 70 - 72 US Dart re-badged as Valiants 72 - 81 Australian Series BUT with no V8 or hemi - we used the slant - albeit in uprated form a true 190 bhp engine - had one on a dyno the other day rebuild to original spec 191.2
And then of course there is the South African Valiant Charger announced and released the same day as the Duster, but with a 70 Dart nose - predated the demon by a year

Does anyone have an image of the opening where the 3 spd gearlever goes through the transmission tunnel - a template perhaps?

after a lot of head-scratching I have decided to be Patient and wait for the correct car to pitch - in between I will fire up the Hemi from time to time to keep the fluids circulating

2 ideas:
The Ute - called a rustler overhere

silver_yoot.jpg

OR
A VH Pacer Clone
Both where used with the 265 Hemi - albeit not in guise I am planning as it will have its 3 45DCOE Webers
vitaminc.jpg

Valiant50, It is easier then you think...I have put a hemi in a 67/68 Valiant here in oz. Just pull the old motor & trans swap the K member if the car is RHD or if LHD leave the K member in you only need to mod the right side engine mount just sit the hemi & trans in position on the 2 mounts then make a new mount for the right side. I would use the 904 auto & get a B&M or Hurst shifter they only require a small hole in the floor for the cable.

The reason to leave the K memeber in if the car is LHD is that LHD to RHD have different control arms & ball joint so it isn't just a straight swap so is easier to just mod the mount.

You are thinking a long the right lines you will need to remove the fan spacer. All A body MoPars have the same measurements from engine mount to trans mount weather it is slant 6, Hemi 6 or SB V8 the hemi is longer forward of thr engine mount by 75mm or "3".

Cheers Oz

after a lot of head-scratching I have decided to be Patient and wait for the correct car to pitch - in between I will fire up the Hemi from time to time to keep the fluids circulating

2 ideas:
The Ute - called a rustler overhere

silver_yoot.jpg

Its like an el camino and an AMX had a child.

Man i wish the U.S got the same cool cars that the UK and AU got.

Its like an el camino and an AMX had a child.

Man i wish the U.S got the same cool cars that the UK and AU got.

You mean AU and South Africa 8) only countries where they where manufactured - ie stamped -
Difference being the one's we had here in RSA was slant six powered

But it is a massively cool Truck (US) ute (AU) bakkie (RSA)

Yeah we have had Valiant utes here since 1965 which we called Wayfairer
We started with them with the VH series - we had Dodge trucks D-series in parralel production in RHD since the early days
Result is if you are looking for a D series in RHD there are lots, the Ute/Bakkie
Wayfairer/Rustler... rare

Valiant50, It is easier then you think...I have put a hemi in a 67/68 Valiant here in oz. Just pull the old motor & trans swap the K member if the car is RHD or if LHD leave the K member in you only need to mod the right side engine mount just sit the hemi & trans in position on the 2 mounts then make a new mount for the right side. I would use the 904 auto & get a B&M or Hurst shifter they only require a small hole in the floor for the cable.

The reason to leave the K memeber in if the car is LHD is that LHD to RHD have different control arms & ball joint so it isn't just a straight swap so is easier to just mod the mount.

You are thinking a long the right lines you will need to remove the fan spacer. All A body MoPars have the same measurements from engine mount to trans mount weather it is slant 6, Hemi 6 or SB V8 the hemi is longer forward of thr engine mount by 75mm or "3".

Cheers Oz
I agree - i have a 904 here - since it is a 904 slant equiped RHD car this would be a bolt in Have the HEMI 6 standing on its k-member - the biggie is getting the 904 lined up with the Hemi - dowel wise to get the offset right.

Issue is straight forward actually - in my Collection i have a 170 slant, a LA 318 in the 78 CL SE, a 225 in the Charger and a 225 in the 68 Barracuda and that is out of commission. I need the cuda on the road, and making my spare 318 LA fit is more of an issue than making the hemi fit.

And the capacity of the cooling system will be up to the task - it will be a temporary solution till the slant is back and running and by then I will also know what I want to do with the hemi.

...but the hemi will be something else with 904 behind it in a 68 fb barracuda - the combo as mine is at this stage is very light -

Stock 265 is 18 kg lighter than a slant, the one I have does not have an cast iron exhaust - it has extractors, also the inlet is not cast iron - it is aluminum - apparently also not a production item - this drops the weight be a further so 10 -12 kg
The cuda with the hemi and 904 is 50 - 60 kg lighter than a Oz charger with similar running gear and most of in the front - the weight distribution will be very close to 50/50.

options options:banghead:

Oz - did you keep the starter in the Low position? and do the conversion without an adapter plate
Photographs will be nice please

-
Back