slant to 265 hemi

-
I agree - i have a 904 here - since it is a 904 slant equiped RHD car this would be a bolt in Have the HEMI 6 standing on its k-member - the biggie is getting the 904 lined up with the Hemi - dowel wise to get the offset right.

Issue is straight forward actually - in my Collection i have a 170 slant, a LA 318 in the 78 CL SE, a 225 in the Charger and a 225 in the 68 Barracuda and that is out of commission. I need the cuda on the road, and making my spare 318 LA fit is more of an issue than making the hemi fit.

And the capacity of the cooling system will be up to the task - it will be a temporary solution till the slant is back and running and by then I will also know what I want to do with the hemi.

...but the hemi will be something else with 904 behind it in a 68 fb barracuda - the combo as mine is at this stage is very light -

Stock 265 is 18 kg lighter than a slant, the one I have does not have an cast iron exhaust - it has extractors, also the inlet is not cast iron - it is aluminum - apparently also not a production item - this drops the weight be a further so 10 -12 kg
The cuda with the hemi and 904 is 50 - 60 kg lighter than a Oz charger with similar running gear and most of in the front - the weight distribution will be very close to 50/50.

options options:banghead:

Oz - did you keep the starter in the Low position? and do the conversion without an adapter plate
Photographs will be nice please

Ok you can't use a slant 904 to a Hemi it just won't work you have to use a small block 904 which you need to remove the left side dowel & replace it with a nut & bolt. The starter will be in the lower position...You will need to cut the corner of the ear sticking out the left side of the motor to get the starter in. Don't use an adaptor plate as you will then have to mod your trans mount as the adaptor pushes everything back by 12mm..."1/2". I have a mate with a VH Ute that has done exactly what you want to do I will try to get some pic's tomorrow.

Hi Guy's

Just thought I would give you a little history info....The Utillity (ute) was first designed here in Australia by Ford in 1932 or 34 a farmers wife said to somebody at Ford that they needed a vehicle that could be used around the farm for work but then could take them to church on Sunday's & the ute is what Ford came up with.

Now Chrysler Australia ltd didn't build there first ute it the early 50's in the form of a Dodge Wayfairer basially looked like a cut down suburban wagon. The first Valiant ute was built in 1965 with the AP-6 model. Chrysler Aust ltd also built cars for export believe it or not but Chrysler Aust exported cars to 27 countries around the world including RSA, UK, FiJi, NZ just to name a few. Most cars exported were powered by the slant 6 most also had cosmetic differences to the vehicles sold here in Aust.

Chrysler Aust was est in 1951 was sold by Chrysler corp as times were tuff in 1981 to Mitsubishi who built cars in that plant till only a year or 2 ago Chrysler Aust built over 500,000 Valiants from 1961 to 1981. The Chrysler club I am in holds a annual show called the Chrysler Wake Run which celibrates Chrysler Aust this year it will be 60 years old if it was still here. It gose to show that a quality produce can last the test of time as there are a lot of young guys getting into Chrysler which were built before they were born as we haven't had a new 1 since 1981 we are a loyal bunch us MoPar nuts.

Ok you can't use a slant 904 to a Hemi it just won't work you have to use a small block 904 which you need to remove the left side dowel & replace it with a nut & bolt. The starter will be in the lower position...You will need to cut the corner of the ear sticking out the left side of the motor to get the starter in. Don't use an adaptor plate as you will then have to mod your trans mount as the adaptor pushes everything back by 12mm..."1/2". I have a mate with a VH Ute that has done exactly what you want to do I will try to get some pic's tomorrow.

Hi, no I realize that i have to use the 904 from an LA - top three bolts line up with LA bellhousing as well as the righthand side dowel
the pics will help a bunch thanks!
one question: the flexplate - I need to use the 904 one but apparently the 904 LA from an 318 and the slant six 904 unit is the same part

The reason to leave the K memeber in if the car is LHD is that LHD to RHD have different control arms & ball joint so it isn't just a straight swap so is easier to just mod the mount.

Actually For Australia and south Africa and Australia balljoints never changed - and locally we buy all our balljoints, upper and lower controlarm parts from the US - it is cheaper - so long as you don't go later that 71 you are OK LHD and RHD are the same in this regard. In the 70's somewhere the US changed to larger upper balljoints and a funny transverse torsion bar setup that needed a different K member

The biggie is the pittman arm and the idler arm - them we either get from Australia or have them refurbished as local stocks have virtually dried up

Production figure from 66 to 80 = 182572 not including commercial vehicles or non US or Australian based cars (Hillman etc)
Pre 66 figures are unknown
read here for a fairly decent rundown http://www.allpar.com/world/south-africa.html
The factory still exist but is used by Ford - the area where the factory is located is still actually known as Chrysler Park on maps

The Australian imports was limited to the first VH body shells and a couple of complete VG's - the VG was never popular over here as local tastes was more inline with the 70 - 72 Dodge dart styling

Hi, no I realize that i have to use the 904 from an LA - top three bolts line up with LA bellhousing as well as the righthand side dowel
the pics will help a bunch thanks!
one question: the flexplate - I need to use the 904 one but apparently the 904 LA from an 318 and the slant six 904 unit is the same part

Ok LA & is different to slant & Hemi a LA flex plate bolt holes won't line up on the crank sharft 1 hole is wrong. Use the slant 6 flex plate it will line up on the Hemi as they are the same bolt pattern.

I don't know how much the pic's will show you as everything is in the car you can't see much but it might give you the idea of what goes were. You will also need to re route your oil preasure sender wire as the Hemi is on the right side.

When I done the slant to Hemi conversion I had a 3 speed manual so was easier as all I did was swap bell housings from slant to Hemi swapped the K memeber & the Hemi bolted stright in.

Oz

Its like an el camino and an AMX had a child.

Man i wish the U.S got the same cool cars that the UK and AU got.

No kidding huh? I've always liked the styling of the overseas mopars. Those aussie utes rock!!

Told you it was easy I'm still waiting for my mate to send pic's but you propberly don't need them now.

Now all you need is a set of headers & a 4BBL Holley & you'll be flying

She has headers but they will be duplicated and routed around the starter
47434_431450947590_664207590_4952609_6537872_n.jpg

for more look here
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.431441732590.210069.664207590&l=03d9f40a28

Told you it was easy I'm still waiting for my mate to send pic's but you propberly don't need them now.

Now all you need is a set of headers & a 4BBL Holley & you'll be flying

I am more an Carter/Edelbrock man
BUT I am sorely tempted to fit 3 45dcoe's in the future

What manifold would you suggest?

I am more an Carter/Edelbrock man
BUT I am sorely tempted to fit 3 45dcoe's in the future

What manifold would you suggest?

These guy's are the biz they made the original triple weber set up for Chrysler they have manifolds & carbs.

http://www.weberperformance.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=84

I suggest you do some searching on the web as it doesn't take much to get 300 HP out of a 265 Hemi basiclly the right cam, set of good valve springs, headers & carb swap will get them moving. Most Aussie love tell stories of the V8's they beat with there Hemi 6's.

I have a mate with a 1970 Valiant Pacer with 265 Hemi 4 speed that runs 11's. If you google TNT 265 I sure you'll enjoy what you see.

Cheers Oz

Hi guys - just an Update:
The 265 HEMI is being mated to the TF 904LA transmission - once bolted up - the top three bolts line up - the it was clear minimal engineering was needed, as the Hemi dowels is slightly outboard of the 904's.

So two blocks have been fabricated, and mounted by cross-drilled bolts to the outside of the stock 904 dowel position, they where then welded in place for extra strength, THEN and this is the clever bit - to assure absolute zero runout - the mounting bolt holes where bushed, so they are also adding to the rigidity and precision of the assembly - special machined bolts are being used. The new dowel holes where marked and drilled and the dowels installed - run-out checked again - it was spot-on.
The K-member,transmission x-member and mounting brackets are in for powder coating, the engine and transmission mounts are in for re manufacturing and the drive shaft for a balance job .
I am waiting for my Weber manifold from Oz.. and here is the next interesting bitL due to the cost of new decent 45 dcoe's - this engine is running with dcoe EFI throttle bodies - YUP she is gojng to be injected ( 3x 45 DCOE's =~ $3000 the efi setup with everything needed - ~$1000
So there you go: a 1968 265 cid 6 cylinder 6 pack, EFI, Hemi'cuda.
And since the RSA cars had the Formula S suspension - it is a Formula S one as well!!
Once my slant has been rebuilt this lot will be moved over to a VH Ute I have My eye on - at that stage i will see If i am a total purist, or a Mopar Guy with an immensely unique and fun car
SO Best Australian Mopar Engine +Best South African Mopar and slant six flexplate +best US Mopar transmission...maybe best of breed..

Hi Guys - didn't disappear, nearly died - had a bit of a crash with my Jetta........

OK
My hemi is hooked onto the TF904 - the engineering works cross bolted and then welded two side of lugs ala FUGLY to the outside of the stock LA mounting positions, then measured and machined new dowl holes to conform to the HEMI block - runout is as close to as make no difference to 0 thou

US smallblock starter fits neatly under a marginally trimmed Hemi Starter leg

Hemi 6 getting painted - correct colour for RSA HP Slant

Rare 318LA, 265Hemi 6, 360 AMC family pic

Attachments

• Image0159.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Image0160.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 670
  • Image0161.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 654
  • Image0162.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 627
I do miss my 265 Fanie. It's looking great. Just wait till you pull off the line, it's going to surprise you big time. The thing has so much torque and because it's so light you really feel it. Whole car used to pitch when I used to rev it. Send us a video when it's done!

In the 70's somewhere the US changed to larger upper balljoints and a funny transverse torsion bar setup that needed a different K member

The bigger (B-body size) upper ball joints were part of the front end change for the US 1973 model year. The K-member changed at the same time. The stabilizer bar/anti-sway bar/anti-roll bar (take your pick) threads through the center of the K-member instead of around the front as it did in previous years.

Other chassis differences beginning with the US 73s were the changes of the disk brakes from 4-piston, fixed caliper to single piston, floating caliper and on the cars with disk brakes a change from the 4 inch bolt pattern to 4½ inch bolt patterns.

What I'd like to know from you RHD guys, did the A-bodies manufactured in AU and ZA have 4 or 4½ inch bolt pattern wheels? Or is it something else entirely?

FWIW: The 904 for the /6 is referred to as the 904G (G/RG engines)
The 904 for the LA is referred to as the 904A
There were also designations for the 904s in AMC V-8 and I-6, but I don't know what it is.

It's a very cool engine, I have seen some Aussie hot Rodders with them on the web. I wish they made in the US. Those engines make some serious power...

The bigger (B-body size) upper ball joints were part of the front end change for the US 1973 model year. The K-member changed at the same time. The stabilizer bar/anti-sway bar/anti-roll bar (take your pick) threads through the center of the K-member instead of around the front as it did in previous years.

Other chassis differences beginning with the US 73s were the changes of the disk brakes from 4-piston, fixed caliper to single piston, floating caliper and on the cars with disk brakes a change from the 4 inch bolt pattern to 4½ inch bolt patterns.

What I'd like to know from you RHD guys, did the A-bodies manufactured in AU and ZA have 4 or 4½ inch bolt pattern wheels? Or is it something else entirely?

FWIW: The 904 for the /6 is referred to as the 904G (G/RG engines)
The 904 for the LA is referred to as the 904A
There were also designations for the 904s in AMC V-8 and I-6, but I don't know what it is.

Hi 2Darts, I'm just reading through this old post And I thought i would answer your question about Aussie stud patterns,... Aussie Valiant's were 4 inch up until mid 71(VG model), Then they changed to 4.5 inch from then on (VH onwards)
Cheers Scott

-
Back