SM Head Install... forgetting anything?

-
@RustyRatRod sorry sometimes people are sarcastic with answers and comments, and I didnt know if the "file it under g" meant something else... This car is almost double my age... I didnt know there were little things called capacitor, only time Ive heard of a capacitor in a car was in the movie back to the future with the flux capacitor.
Yes sir. Normally, they wire into the positive side of the coil. At least that's how I've seen them all. They act as a filter for radio interference.

@plumkrazee70 my pistons stick out .012-.013 from the block. Regarding the heads being closed chamber or not... I have no clue?? Lol. I know they are eddy knock offs... I think? Some people run thinner gaskets to change compression ratios, but that requires decking the block and heads... really thats way out of my realm of knowledge as well.

@plumkrazee70 my pistons stick out .012-.013 from the block. Regarding the heads being closed chamber or not... I have no clue?? Lol. I know they are eddy knock offs... I think? Some people run thinner gaskets to change compression ratios, but that requires decking the block and heads... really thats way out of my realm of knowledge as well.
I guess you'll find out when you bust it off. lol

@plumkrazee70 Regarding the heads being closed chamber or not... I have no clue?? Lol.

Do you have any pics of the head combustion chamber before you installed them? Post those pics and we can tell you if open chamber or closed chamber.
If no pics, then post head manufacturer name and head part number.

Gotcha. What can are you running?

They look like closed chamber heads to me.

Mopar Chrysler SB 318 360 170cc 65cc Hydraulic Roller Assembled Cylinder Heads

upload_2022-3-13_8-25-22.png

Felpro 1008 is .039" compressed thickness.You say your pistons are .012" to .013" out of the hole. That's. 026" squish on a closed chamber head. Seems a little tight to me.

@92b the felpro blue 8553pt is the same head gasket I put on 2 years ago when I did the camshaft (XE268H). When we measured it, compressed height, the head gasket measured at .053. I haven't had any problems with it this far and was told by 70aarcuda to run it again, usually when he tells me to do something I don't question it...

Last edited:
Just need to get a shorter belt and trade for the different plugs. Then fill her up with fluids, start her and hope she dont leak....

20220313_115544.jpg

Use studs for the limited access locations, grind the stud to the exact length needed for the nuts thread engagement, round the end of the stud to aide slipping the nut on, but leave no excess threads exposed. Grind the nut thinner as needed b
Just need to get a shorter belt and trade for the different plugs. Then fill her up with fluids, start her and hope she dont leak....

View attachment 1715887498
You better get going, this thing needs to be wrapped up.
We want results. lol
You're slower than a snail. :lol:

just kidding, take your time and make sure everything is right.

@fishmens67 I only get to work on it so much, lol. Plus, the random store runs and working during the week... This week I actually had to work 5 days instead of 4...let me tell you after you start working 4 days for a while instead of 5, adding that extra day of work sucks... also since when did belts start costing 25-30 bucks?!

@92b the felpro blue 1008 is the same head gasket I put on 2 years ago when I did the camshaft (XE268H). When we measured it, compressed height, the head gasket measured at .053. I haven't had any problems with it this far and was told by 70aarcuda to run it again, usually when he tells me to do something I don't question it...
So you measured the compressed thickness this time and came up with .053"? How did you measure it? I'm surprised the advertised compressed thickness is so far off but I haven't ever measured one.

@92b sorry for the confusion. I edited my above reply, I used the felpro 8553pt gasket, it measures at .053 thickness. I didn't measure it this time since I don't have calipers; we did measure it last time.

@92b sorry for the confusion. I edited my above reply, I used the felpro 8553pt gasket, it measures at .053 thickness. I didn't measure it this time since I don't have calipers; we did measure it last time.
10-4. Carry on.

If you remove the block plugs to drain the block, then I suggest you replace the plugs with petcocks (like a radiator drain) rather than just putting the plugs back in.
That will make it much easier to drain your block the next time you need to.
360 sb with tti headers, put pecocks in. cant even see them behind the headers let alone trying to turn them

360 sb with tti headers, put pecocks in. cant even see them behind the headers let alone trying to turn them

Much as I like the longtube performance, I went with the TTI shorty's on my 360 SB. So much easier for maintenance. It took longer to cut the Hooker longtubes out than it did to install the TTI shorty's... lol.

Much as I like the longtube performance, I went with the TTI shorty's on my 360 SB. So much easier for maintenance. It took longer to cut the Hooker longtubes out than it did to install the TTI shorty's... lol.
Did anyone look at ahe pic in post 34? Looks to me that the shaft is only hitting the cradle high on the cam side

Did anyone look at ahe pic in post 34? Looks to me that the shaft is only hitting the cradle high on the cam side
Think ur talking about post#37... believe that is just the lighting effect... looks like a slight shadow to me.

Ill let you all guess what is leaking.... yep, the ps pump. even with shorter belt it pushed the back of it into the heads and busted the metal hose, right at the end of tightening it too. So now to figure out how quickly I can get a ps pump or how to delete the ps...

20220313_134626.jpg

Ill let you all guess what is leaking.... yep, the ps pump. even with shorter belt it pushed the back of it into the heads and busted the metal hose, right at the end of tightening it too. So now to figure out how quickly I can get a ps pump or how to delete the ps...

View attachment 1715887560

**edit**
I thought you were getting a longer "belt" to swing it away from the head?

Last edited:
-
Back