Small block bottom build horsepower limit

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
what will be the max estimated HP level for the following bottom end set up:?
- Stock LA 79 Block
- Oil mods
- Girdle
- Eagle performance, 410 Stroker balanced rotation assembly rated for 800 Hp
- ATI Damper

Last edited:
Might be better if you tell how much power you plan on making.
Max power is a little open ended.

You might be safe to 600 HP if you have the engine tuned properly, run proper fuel, and have a quality damper on the end of the crank.

Once you get above that level all bets are off on an OEM block.

Tom

Our 421" makes 660 hp and we've not had any problems with the block. Rod Bloomer has a 416 making 680 hp and so far so good on it. I feel like as long as your tune up is good and there's no detonation it'll be fine drag racing. But on the street or other forms of racing might not be so..

You might be safe to 600 HP if you have the engine tuned properly, run proper fuel, and have a quality damper on the end of the crank.

Once you get above that level all bets are off on an OEM block.

Tom
Rick Ehrenberg has stated about the same thing, 550-600 IF you fill the bottom half with some type of concrete to stiffen the block.

500-550 hp seems like a number a lot of sbm strokers hit haven't heard any terrible stories on here about them coming a part, As for 600 hp + obviously there's a lot less samples out there but we still haven't heard much about failures.

Might be better if you tell how much power you plan on making.
Max power is a little open ended.
Well the goal is for a 600-650 hp engine, mostly for drag racing.

The thing about high horsepower engines is they don’t get driven much. It cost too much. Racing requires racing parts.

What I am sensing is, for a drag car set up you can have a well build top end that can shoot up to 700 hp, but unleess you have a R3 block, you will be safe limited to 600 hp with a stock block.

360’s are truck engines and not intended to go over 290 horsepower.
I'm glad we got that finally straightened out. lol
Whatever it takes to go 9.70's @ 2800#'s is the safest bet.
Do you feel lucky, well do you.

What I am sensing is, for a drag car set up you can have a well build top end that can shoot up to 700 hp, but unleess you have a R3 block, you will be safe limited to 600 hp with a stock block.
Maybe look into cryogenically treatment

“We’re running a factory stock block that we had cryogenically treated, which made it 30 to 40 percent stronger than factory,”

775 hp 376
376 cid Mopar Engine - Engine Builder Magazine

I think the problem is the lack of 600 + hp examples, so it's a little unknown there Ultimate reliability, need to talk to shop/builders that build them on the regular.

“We’re running a factory stock block that we had cryogenically treated, which made it 30 to 40 percent stronger than factory,”

775 hp 376

I think the problem is the lack of 600 + hp examples, so it's a little unknown there Ultimate reliability, need to talk to shop/builders that build them on the regular.
Jesus that thing is awesome.... Hadn't seen it before

360’s are truck engines and not intended to go over 290 horsepower.
LMAO

775 hp 376

True. It’s just the level of power that is uncommon to be actually obtained and done while on the street everyday doing grocery shopping and church going etc….

I just want 500ish hp.... nothing insane.. well.. 500hp that i can beat for years and never worry bout :)

I just want 500ish hp.... nothing insane.. well.. 500hp that i can beat for years and never worry bout :)
With the average parts available us eg. trick flows, 500 hp is the new reasonable goal.

Jesus that thing is awesome.... Hadn't seen it before
From the sounds of it, it makes it's 735-770hp by 7500 rpms which should put peak tq around 585 lbs-ft which is 1.55 tq:cid.

With the average parts available us eg. trick flows, 500 hp is the new reasonable goal.

From the sounds of it, it makes it's 735-770hp by 7500 rpms which should put peak tq around 585 lbs-ft which is 1.55 tq:cid.
yup.. already got the trick flows... they are going on a junk bottom end now just to get the car moving. I know i will regret that.. but will be fun for a bit :)

Nobody is going to spend that much money and time for a stock block “racing engine”. Dyno Queen like he said to get his name out there only. It wouldn’t survive one of my race seasons.

-
Back