Small block bottom build horsepower limit

-
What we know the 700+ hp 376 engine isn't just a dyno queen a has raced two years what we don't if it's only been a handful or 100 plus runs down the track so it's ultimate reliability is still a question.

If cryo adds 30-40% added strength does that translate to 30-40% more power handling ability ? Eg.. on top of say 600 hp thats 780-840 hp.

Last edited:
If cryo adds 30-40% added strength does that translate to 30-40% more power handling ability ? Eg.. on top of say 600 hp thats 780-840 hp.
No

Talked on Facebook with the guy who races that motor. He has 50 passes on it thus far.
Duster is 3000 with him in it, 904 trans. He has been best of 6.32 thus far at a bit over 108. He sad he would like to get it at a lower altitude, as the DA at his home track is typically over 7000 feet, and that is the only place it’s been raced thus far. Says he is still tuning on it.

Might be better if you tell how much power you plan on making.
Max power is a little open ended.
It is not a matter of how much Jax plans to build into the engine. With turbo/supercharging, fuel choice and nitrous enough torque can be developed to overpower about any block. What Jax is asking is how much torque which is a factor of cylinder pressures developed and vibrations. A main girdle ties the main caps together to change their natural frequency out of a range that is a multiple of the oprrating RPM.
The SBF is recognised in stock form to be limited to 500HP before the block can split. Modifying for 4 bolt mains, reinforcing the lifter valley and filling the block to the bottom of the water inlet holes can increase the capability to 1,000HP.
The Mopar blocks are more substantial, but heavier. Assigning a value is a sort of vague statistic. Tune is a big factor, but small differences in volime casting can allow one block to survive while another fails, even with identical build specs and tune.
I believe Jax is asking how far he can push the envelope faily safely.

It is not a matter of how much Jax plans to build into the engine. With turbo/supercharging, fuel choice and nitrous enough torque can be developed to overpower about any block. What Jax is asking is how much torque which is a factor of cylinder pressures developed and vibrations. A main girdle ties the main caps together to change their natural frequency out of a range that is a multiple of the oprrating RPM.
The SBF is recognised in stock form to be limited to 500HP before the block can split. Modifying for 4 bolt mains, reinforcing the lifter valley and filling the block to the bottom of the water inlet holes can increase the capability to 1,000HP.
The Mopar blocks are more substantial, but heavier. Assigning a value is a sort of vague statistic. Tune is a big factor, but small differences in volime casting can allow one block to survive while another fails, even with identical build specs and tune.

And I think we showed him how far many of us are going without issues. It’s there for your reading.

Well the goal is for a 600-650 hp engine, mostly for drag racing.
I recommend to watch the David Vizard Powertec 10 youtube video on the 1,000HP SBF block modifications. The same shop can/will do the same on other manufacturer blocks. Doing this on a SBM would allow a safe 700HP stock block to run reliably.

And I think we showed him how far many of us are going without issues. It’s there for your reading.
Got that. My response was to the silly answers such as an ET or asking how much he wants to make. Block strength/durability is the limiting factor. Posting as a number of you have with what power you are running reliably is what Jax was looking for, IMHO.

I get that but it's easier to answer if it can handle his planed on 600-650 hp than an infinite possibilities.

I recommend to watch the David Vizard Powertec 10 youtube video on the 1,000HP SBF block modifications. The same shop can/will do the same on other manufacturer blocks. Doing this on a SBM would allow a safe 700HP stock block to run reliably.
David vizard is a story teller/book writer. Tons of "theory" and "formulas" But hes also a crook. He **** a good freind of mine who has a machine shop also, out of a bunch of labor for machine work he never paid for.

And if you need to do all that to a factory block to withstand your power goals, you need a better block PERIOD. How many idiots are gonna spend 2k dollars on a weak *** 302 block when you could buy a WAY superior block from dart for the same final cost and make more power?

You got it right

Will take a look at it.

I just want 500ish hp.... nothing insane.. well.. 500hp that i can beat for years and never worry bout :)
500 hp no problem my 426 stroker ran problem free for 2 years10000 miles before i put it in storage 8mpg at $8.40 a gallon was to rich for me
depending on intake it made 512hp 560 tq or 527 hp 547tq

Last edited:
Any offers for a 58 degree R3 Block ???:p:p

Any offers for a 58 degree R3 Block ???:p:p

You would cry if you knew what I paid for my R3 block ready to go, 360-1 Indy heads, 408 balanced assembly, .650 lift solid cam with Schebeck lifters, Indy intake, and a few other goodies. I’m going to lose another one because I’m waiting for my son to buy it as he found it.

You would cry if you knew what I paid for my R3 block ready to go, 360-1 Indy heads, 408 balanced assembly, .650 lift solid cam with Schebeck lifters, Indy intake, and a few other goodies. I’m going to lose another one because I’m waiting for my son to buy it as he found it.
Maybe so, BUT, that set up is stupid tough and it just keeps on going.

LOL... Have been searching online, and all the prices I am finding are 3K and up

That’s about right these days. Then between a good rotating assembly and machine work, John’s price above is right about what it’ll cost to have a naked short block ready to rock. What you add to the short block or not is a small difference.

Then your top end package (cam included) and then headers/exhaust. Head choice and state of prep can match the bottom end east.

That’s about right these days. Then between a good rotating assembly and machine work, John’s price above is right about what it’ll cost to have a naked short block ready to rock. What you add to the short block or not is a small difference.

Then your top end package (cam included) and then headers/exhaust. Head choice and state of prep can match the bottom end east.

He said I talked him down to 7000.00 or 6500.00 for everything but I don’t remember that so I say 7500.00

You wanna see people whine, tell them what I sold you your R3 block for, lol

-
Back