small block cam issues...rattley new engine!

-

Martythetrimmer

Reaction score
I’m doing some background research before starting the rebuild of a 318 for my 1967 Dodge ute……it’s not going to be anything wild, just a snappy streeter, alloy heads, ICE electronic ignition, good headers, Edelbrock manifold with a 600 Holley….not sure about cam as yet, a mate just had his 318 rebuilt with a 360 crank & using a Lunati VooDoo hydraulic cam, on cold start it’s tappy as all hell for the first couple of minutes, the motor has great oil pressure so it’s not that….talked to another guy who’s having the same problem, he’s tried several different brands of lifters but can’t resolve the problem…both motors run Roller Rockers which some people are saying is the problem, yet I’ve had motors with rollers that where silent on cold start….really don’t want to end up with a new engine that sounds like it needs a rebuild! What’s your thoughts and experiences?

f72255355.jpg

pushrods were a thought, but talking to a Roller Rocker manufacturer it was dismissed!! Still think that is the most lightly cause!

Also, roller rockers need shimmed side to side on the shaft. If they're a little too loose they tend to make noise.

pushrods were a thought, but talking to a Roller Rocker manufacturer it was dismissed!! Still think that is the most lightly cause!

Pushrods to short/geometry off.
Rumble Fish is SPOT ON here.... BEEN HERE,DONE THAT...Ignore what the hungey salesmen tell you, do the research yourself.. You will come out,better for it ....

A few threads recently on shitty lifters from some mfg. Wasnt Hughes ruuning into this with lifters Dave sold?

was this guy in your shop and measured everything including sweep if not it would be hard to come to that conclusion .

so I agree with you that it is most likely the cause .

Noisy for the first couple of minutes? Really only a few things that could make the noise go away, a bad lifter, oil pressure, and temperature/metal expansion. Lifter: Is it only on one cylinder or do they all clatter? Oil pressure: you said it has good oil pressure so that is ruled out. Temp/expansion: My solid lifter cam in my HP273 is noisy when cold and quiets down after a few min. of run time when things start expanding. The cam is hydraulic I take it. Are the rockers adjustable? If not they should be. The pushrods could be .010 too short side of preload and cause the noise when cold that goes away with a little heat expansion. Just my take.

Right on Mike. If thenoushrods are a bit short that just creates more room to fill up with oil and causes a tempos rattle.

The mention of the rockers not sitting squarely where they need to be is interesting idea.

I too agree.... if different lifters have been tried, then the pushrods are next. How could the rocker manufacturer rule out them being a bit too short without actually measuring the lifter preload in the engine?

What weights of oil are being used? Light oils tend to leak out of the lifters more easily when setting for a while. Synthetics also are more prone to make this happen; they are a lot thinner at typical cold start temps.

When I built my 360 it was quiet as a mouse. After awhile it developed a lifter tick momentarily after cold start. Changed to comp lifters. Couple lifters ticked. Changed intakes so I put in another set of comps under warranty. Tick tick tick, even worse for couple seconds after sitting a few hours. Starts and hold 70psi oil pressure cold almost instantly. Preload was about 72 though, inside the 85 thou limit. Stock rockers, New pushrods, I just live with it now but you won't here me praising comp products anytime soon

I think Rumble is on it with the lifter preload. How much preload do the lifters have? I haven't ran a hyd. roller but I remember a few yrs. back one of the guys on here put a new Comp cam hyd roller in his sb and had noisy lifters and when he talked to Comp about it they told him to preload the lifters 2-1/2 to 3 turns. He did it and that quieted them down.

So your original question is about research for rebuilding you 67 318 to a good not wild level? I would go with solid flat tappet with the edm oil hole With the inconsistency of the hyd lifters out there I won't run the risk of getting a bad lifter. What do you do? Replace just the lifter? I wouldn't. You don't need the expense or maintence associated with a roller lifter to get to the your performance goal. If it was a roller sb already, sure, but it isn't. The only downside is setting the lash. I have found after it first settles in it doesn't change. I check them once a year. Also the lash is critical on a roller you do NOT want the roller bouncing!

-
Back