SMALL BLOCK HEADS

-
So I guess my point is you can read or watch your videos and do tests to support your points of view or opinions, but before the on slot of aftermarket Chevy parts a good running 340 car would kick the crap out of the vast majority of mouse powered cars!

I agree. Regardless of being a "parrot" or not. For "whatever" reason, the 340 was always a better engine than most any of the SBCs were.

None of us pops out knowin everything, so as we learn we "parrot" that knowledge onto others. I guess from now on, I'll forward any of my posts to @MOPAROFFICIAL to make sure he approves before hand.

LMAO
I agree. Regardless of being a "parrot" or not. For "whatever" reason, the 340 was always a better engine than most any of the SBCs were.

None of us pops out knowin everything, so as we learn we "parrot" that knowledge onto others. I guess from now on, I'll forward any of my posts to @MOPAROFFICIAL to make sure he approves before hand.

I didn't even look at the video. I guess we all caint be all knowing and perfect like you. Maybe one day I'll get halfway there.
Lol you funny guy you . You know what I mean. N don't let the country part personally insult you. I'm indirectly insulting a guy who shows people how make a port go turbulent with a socket set..lmao

Lol you funny guy you . You know what I mean. N don't let the country part personally insult you. I'm indirectly insulting a guy who shows people how make a port go turbulent with a socket set..lmao

Ok. It appeared to be aimed towards me.

Parroting...Is the difference between "I heard.." and .."I know".

So I guess my point is you can read or watch your videos and do tests to support your points of view or opinions, but before the on slot of aftermarket Chevy parts a good running 340 car would kick the crap out of the vast majority of mouse powered cars!

It has much less to do with the PORTS and much more to do with the ARCHITECTURE.

Any guy who is decent with a flow bench can show you in half an hour which ports are actually better.

The steep valve angle of the chevy hurts it much more than the port isn’t good.

They use way to low a R/S ratio, the chamber on that generation of cylinder heads is GARBAGE and the spark plug location is horrible.

If you want to do what UT did and just discuss the ports, he aint right.

If you want to look at the head, as a whole, then the SBM is better.

UTG is a good story teller....hes wrong on about 50% of the things he says, but hey, it's just internet entertainment. No one in the "know" would take anything he posts seriously.
50% at best. My problem is that i dont have time to research all that false information so when is see it i stop watching. the reason for the rant is this reason. But it was because a good friend came to me asking me about what he had seen so I watched and yes i got overboard i guess but im not sorry lol. What he says could cost money sometimes and i like it when things are done right the first time and even then you run the chance of problems so with that i do agree he is not always wrong but for the inexperienced what is he wrong about, good call about 50% lol

I'm reading that chevy heads suck while the mopar is better. Can you quote a line that leads to you to believe otherwise?
I'm also reading where people are switching the focus to their benefit of winning an arguement that's non existent...which lends to the idea they are missing the point of the thread. Like Valve angle being one turn off..well gee that's an incorporation of the port design itself it was designed around that advantage, so its concurrent..not consecutive..and really, change it, test it, then you have founding to say wether it's all about that or not.
The point is UTG sucks , his explanations suck, Chevy sucks, and mopar rules without tweaker chain smokers making shitty videos and 100 k a year off of it.
Fin
Agree 100 %

Well uncle Tony's explanation of the mopar exhaust port is complete bullshit. This thread is built on that sentiment. Chevy still sucks.
agree again and to add this is less about bashing UT its trying to get the truth out there so that others are successful on what there working on. Im sure i could have found more channelsw to bash but this vid smacked of misinformation.

50% at best. My problem is that i dont have time to research all that false information so when is see it i stop watching. the reason for the rant is this reason. But it was because a good friend came to me asking me about what he had seen so I watched and yes i got overboard i guess but im not sorry lol. What he says could cost money sometimes and i like it when things are done right the first time and even then you run the chance of problems so with that i do agree he is not always wrong but for the inexperienced what is he wrong about, good call about 50% lol

I don't agree with what he says about the longer 198 connecting rods in the 225, either. He advises against it. There are too many people who've done it with really good success to say it doesn't work.

Thanks for the insight.

Sorry, do you have a video or your saying the UTG video... would you have pictures of said work you did? I have messed with heads a little bit but not seriously ported any. Any help a newbie can get is good!

Maybe in retirement I’ll get to explore this route.
Im referring to the UTG... as far as pics this was about 6 years ago i did take some pics so ill have to find them if i can and ill share. By the way you aint no newbie.

this is the facts right here. The saying i here all the time is chevys are cheaper. the come back for me is whats cheaper stock or modified cause you have to spend alot on a chevy to beat my mopar( and the point of the thread chevys have better exhaust ports obviously there are a ton of reasons why the mopars are better then whats stated in the dumb vid).

I don't agree with what he says about the longer 198 connecting rods in the 225, either. He advises against it. There are too many people who've done it with really good success to say it doesn't work.
yep off thread but i 100% AGREE HERE. im tired of that old argument. long rod motors add power but do more especially reliability.. good call. i had to edit it here cause i forgot to mention the 225 slant has a rod ratio almost the same as a 350 chevy if i remember right but he loves the ratio on that pile . if you look at after market rods available for 225 or any slant there all the 198 slant length. im sure the dynos ran along time to prove it.

Last edited:
yep off thread but i 100% AGREE HERE. im tired of that old argument. long rod motors add power but do more especially reliability.. good call. i had to edit it here cause i forgot to mention the 225 slant has a rod ratio almost the same as a 350 chevy if i remember right but he loves the ratio on that pile . if you look at after market rods available for 225 or any slant there all the 198 slant length. im sure the dynos ran along time to prove it.

Exactly. I didn't mean to go off subject. I was just pointing out that while I do like the guy, I don't agree with everything he says.

Exactly. I didn't mean to go off subject. I was just pointing out that while I do like the guy, I don't agree with everything he says.
Agree. If people were to make 200 videos of all there car work and experiences many would find reasons to disagree with them as well. We may be Mopar Brothers, but that doesn't make us identical twins......

Cool, thanks. On the newbie, that would be for head porting. I’ve done some (very) light work on heads but not a good porting.

Me too. All I've done is basically cleaned up some rough castings. I did a good job, but "anything more" and I would get lost "af" as the kids say nowadays. lol

It’s more of a proper short side radius that I’m concerned with at present. I’d really like to have a few sets in my hands instead of pictures but here pictures will do.

It’s more of a proper short side radius that I’m concerned with at present. I’d really like to have a few sets in my hands instead of pictures but here pictures will do.

That's my understanding....at least on the Mopar stuff that the short side is the place (besides the bowl areas) where the most can be gained.

Anytime I hear anyone say the old "an engine is just an air pump" bit, I tune out. They have nothing further to say that I'm gonna wanna hear.

As for the SBM head, I'll stay out of the whole discussion as it is also not that interesting any longer. Anyone wanting to make elevated power is already using non-stock heads anyway.

For better or worse, I get a kick out of the famous line from Grumpy Jenkins where he is said to have taken one look at the then-new 340 Mopar head and declared "If I had to work with those heads, I'd get into a another line of work!"

-
Back