Small block in a slant 6 abody 67-72 cheap and easy using truck mounts

-

Mtrhead

Ace of Spades ♠️
Reaction score
Simple way to install 340 in a slant six k member using dodge truck engine bracket on passenger side with a standard 340 rubber mount and on driver side use the thick slant six mount with the standard 340 abody engine bracket..lets just a very simple way to install V8 without ordering shumaker kit or changing K member..Seems to be right height also because I've mounted headers with power steering and manual steering and never had any issues...

15519044674472781333004875232193.jpg

15519045235782791670194121276796.jpg

Is the truck mount bracket your using come from the passenger side of the truck, or either side truck bracket will work?

Only one side will work...I believe it is the passenger side truck mount...

Your welcome..I've been using this method before the kits came out...was just too much work to change out kmember

I can vouch for this. Did it a few years ago when swapping a 318 into an original /6 '70 Duster; used a mid '70's 318 truck bracket on the passenger side and a standard 318 A body bracket on the driver side. It dropped right onto the /6 K member, nice and level, plenty of room.

you use the passenger side truck mount.. this is an old school way of doing it, heard about it many years ago... if ya look at schumacher mounts they look a lot like h etruck mount..

I was just looking one day how to build up passenger side of slant 6 kmember like a V8 one and realized that the truck mount looks like the 4" raised portion I need..low and behold it was perfect ..I had bout half the town installing 340's in Granny's Dart..and nothing hooks better on the street like 6 cylinder springs and torsion bars...bulletproof the rear and tie the frame together..holy **** 10.90 potential..dont forget those 9" front brakes..lmao.....

I was just looking one day how to build up passenger side of slant 6 kmember like a V8 one and realized that the truck mount looks like the 4" raised portion I need..low and behold it was perfect ..I had bout half the town installing 340's in Granny's Dart..and nothing hooks better on the street like 6 cylinder springs and torsion bars...bulletproof the rear and tie the frame together..holy **** 10.90 potential..dont forget those 9" front brakes..lmao.....

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!! So you're telling me that a passenger truck and an Abody V8 is all that I need to install my Magnum 5.9 into my 73 Slant6 Dart or am I missing something here??

Because that is a HUUUUUGE cost savings when compared to the Schumacher Kit's!!!!

It looks like you got it! I haven't tried it........... yet.
but truck 5.9s have a few additional changes required.

So yes I can do it?
What “few additional changes required”? Do I need to worry about?

Thanks for the help.

Dont know how the magnum engine holes are for engine bracket...if they are in same location as LA ...you will also need a driver side standard 360/340 engine bracket

As to truck 5.9s
The oilpan will not fit into an A-body
When running headers; you may find interference with the center engine mount which you will have to grind off.
And of course,a carb intake with all that entails
including a KD system for the trans.
You'll have to install an old-style distributor with flyweights and a Vcan.
And deal with the reverse rotating serpentine system
At the back of the 5.9, some guys have had trouble with fitting a pass-car trans and TC. I'm parroting FABO members here, so I can't say what the issues were. I guess the prudent thing would be to prefit the trans before you proceed any further.
And that's all I can think of.

Last edited:
Dont know how the magnum engine holes are for engine bracket...if they are in same location as LA ...you will also need a driver side standard 360/340 engine bracket
Same location

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!! So you're telling me that a passenger truck and an Abody V8 is all that I need to install my Magnum 5.9 into my 73 Slant6 Dart or am I missing something here??

Because that is a HUUUUUGE cost savings when compared to the Schumacher Kit's!!!!
I don't think it's gonna work with a 73 up spool type k frame

Simple way to install 340 in a slant six k member using dodge truck engine bracket on passenger side with a standard 340 rubber mount and on driver side use the thick slant six mount with the standard 340 abody engine bracket..lets just a very simple way to install V8 without ordering shumaker kit or changing K member..Seems to be right height also because I've mounted headers with power steering and manual steering and never had any issues...

View attachment 1715299337

View attachment 1715299338

View attachment 1715299337

View attachment 1715299338
Hi mtrhead im doing a 360 swap and i have the truck mounting brackets but not the standard sm blk bracket. Can you tell me what year and maybe steer me to a source i can get one . Thanks in advance

You need a driver side 67-72 340/360 engine bracket...I will look for another one..might have one

15546106622096056563622095881266.jpg

And remember you will need a thicker slant 6 engine mount mated to this bracket

I have also modified a 318 bracket for this 340/360 swap also..works perfect too!!

-
Back