Small block oil filter with headers

-

3406pk

Reaction score
I have a problem with removing the oil filter on my 74 Duster 360 engine w 727 transmission. I have TTI headers and could not get the filter out the top side because of trans dipstick tube which is straight (from truck). The headers blocked it from dropping down. Finally loosened the header and shifted enough to get down and new one up. I used a NAPA gold filter short one.
Questions: Is there a smaller diameter filter that will make it easier to fit thru? What trans dipstick tube might work to give clearance for top removal? Thanks for help.

STP 16 is smaller, ever so slightly than a Fram PH16. I normaly hoist the filter upwards.

i use the napa gold short filter and have no problem pulling it out from the top. tti headders too. the dip stick may be your problem

I have the same TTI headers and yes its a pain to get the oil filter loosened up and out. On my Duster I use a Mopar filter the short one. I use a oil filter cap that goes over the filter(??) a ratchet, a extension to loosen the filter(if its to tight to loosen from the top) and from the top I remove it. I do have to force it a bit around the trans dip stick tube however. I always put plastic over the headers cause your going to make a mess.
I have thought about a oil filter relocation kit to make this job easier.

I use Mobil one filters no problem getting them off or on..try getting the right dipstick tube..

Thanks Guys for the information and help. I think I'll try to put a bend in in the dipstick tube when I change trans oil. Thanks again.

I use what ever filter I want :p
0822091841a.jpg

hehe hkeller your relpy made my giggle for the simple fact that our minds had the same solution for this problem mopar gave us :p

So how do you cahnge the filter without spilling oil down the inner fender?

I have one of the remote kits so I can use a bigger filter and not slop oil on the headers but haven't installed it yet.

The old PH3600's (Fram) are the same thread and gasket as the PH43 (wide short) or PH8A's (wide long) going from memory. I spent 5 and a half years working in a 10 minute oil change shop in the late 80's and early 90's.

The PH3600 was the long skinny filter that went on the ford V6's. Most Ford and Mopar filters all had matching gaskets and threads.

I use a NAPA Gold 1335 with no 90 degree adapter. It's the same diameter as a Fram ph 16 but only 2 3/4 inches high. It might fit better in your car.

I just put a couple of rags under the filter. Not much oil spills you just have to be quick. I have done three oil changes. It takes longer to drain the oil then change the filter..

I just un-bolt my dipstick from trans and filter comes right out the top. I do like the remote set-ups shown. Super nice.

You can also get a filter for the 2.2L/2.5L that is smaller diameter and shorter still... But you will want to change the filter about twice as often due to the filtering media reduction. (just the filter... not the oil too..)

90 degree, any filter, drop it from the bottom. Messy, and oil burning off the headers, but it has worked on 2 A-bodies.

Both of those remote filter locations look really good. What adaptor is used on the block. Thanks

This is how mine is setup
0822091844.jpg

Standard oil filter relocation kit, I just put 90's off the the block and made my oil lines out of high pressure hydraulic line

Don't mind the car quest filter, that has been changed to a Baldwin filter

I have Heddman headers. I put in a Lokar flexible dipstick tube and it made the whole oil filter removal operation a lot easier and less messy. I attached the tube to the firewall and it pushes out of the way when sliding the filter between it and the headers. I still may go with a remote filter. In my advanced age....easier is usually better!

Thanks 70Swinger510 for pix of adaptor. Thanks Moper for tip on 2.5L filter also. All you guys gave some good solutions. Thanks

I looked at the 2.2/2.5l filter, man that thing is small lol, i just mocked up my engine with the summit headers & a wix short filter, the filter has plenty of room to take off & drop on out, i wouldn't think about running such a small filter like the 2.2/2.5l one.

-
Back