Small Block or Big Block- help me decide

-

BobK

Custom Builder
Reaction score
The original plan for the 67 Dart I just started on was to do a new-gen Hemi swap, but they're looking like more cost and work than their worth. So now I'm debating going 360 or 440 and doing a fuel injection setup so I'd have the drivability I'm looking for. I'll probably be going with an aftermarket subframe, since I want rack and opinion steering, so clearance for a big block won't be an issue. I'm looking for about 375-400hp, and I'm thinking the big block would make more sense since the added cubic inches want require as radical of a setup to get to that number.

Thoughts?

400HP shouldn't be difficult at all with a 360. But a big block has a cool factor.

I'm no help am I?

I've got a big block (400) in my dart and a 360 roller (from 1989 truck) in my cuda. Gotta tell ya I did it backwards. The smaller wheel wells on the dart would have done better with the higher winding small block, and the bigger wells on the cuda would have been better with the down low grunt of the big block. BTW they're both a blast, yu can't lose!

Build a 400 stroker. 451. More room for exhaust and will make 400 HP fallin outta bed.

A 408 (360 stroker) will be lighter, easier to fit, probably cheaper, and you'd have to work really hard to not get 375- 400 HP .

451 with a drop in cast stroker crank, thats the ticket. buddy had a 62 300 with a stock 383 in it and could fry the tires in that boat, Big block low end grunt. throw a AL intake and an AL water pump housing and your down to LA weight. More power, more torque, less revs and can do it through Hi-po logs. I did it and was scared of it after I drove it!

I've got a big block (400) in my dart and a 360 roller (from 1989 truck) in my cuda. Gotta tell ya I did it backwards. The smaller wheel wells on the dart would have done better with the higher winding small block, and the bigger wells on the cuda would have been better with the down low grunt of the big block. BTW they're both a blast, yu can't lose!

The 360 has more stroke than the 400.... 3.58" for 360 compared to 3.375" for 400...

The 400 has the largest bore...

Don't look to me for help, LOL. If I could afford it, I'd have "one of each"

If I had to pick between just the two, I'd go 360. Smaller, lighter, less of a hassle to fit components, and probably cheaper.

However, going away from that, I agree with j par's call for a 360 stroker. The 408 gives you a small block package, with the power levels you're looking for. That would get my vote.

If you had to go BB, RRR's suggestion for a 451 stroker would give you even more horses.

Big block gets my vote. Even a rebuilt 383 is only gonna be less than 20 Cid smaller than a 408. The rule on this forum seems to be no substitute for cubic inch as long it's 360/408.

Small bock all the way

Depends on budget ( considered aftermarket K,guess it's not an issue...). I like small block here: 360 is easy 400 h.p., a 408 will make that so easy,you will fall asleep. ( 500 horsepower bogey is easy, with well worked OEM or aftermarket :Edelbrock/Indy/E.Q. heads)

440. You want 375-400 horsepower, that's easy with a 440. Intake, cam, and headers. Stock bottom end.

That's kinda where I'm leaning. I've been looking at 408 strokers, and they're around $5k to start. I can find a decent 440 for about $1500 and be less that $2500 with the intake, cam and headers.

I've had bunches of 383 runners and bees over the decades. love the grunt and power. had 1 67 383 cuda, loved that too. I vote with RRR and others that vote for the 400 stroker, ... I never had one, on my bucket list!!

Rack and opinion steering?
I would go with the 440, but that's my 'pinion. lol

That's kinda where I'm leaning. I've been looking at 408 strokers, and they're around $5k to start. I can find a decent 440 for about $1500 and be less that $2500 with the intake, cam and headers.

And the "Holy Crap!" factor when you open the hood is a free bonus.

This is the answer ,for you.. And , a good one... Find it, buy it.....

warm 360 with lots of aluminum.
...spend some money on better brakes and suspension and
you will have a car that stops,rides nice and goes around corners
safely if pushed

Let's see, 360 or 440?
360 or 440?
360 or 440?
360 or 440?
360 or 440?
360 or 440?
360 or 440?
Lol... Anyway I color it, it comes out 440!:glasses7: