Small block strokers. Your findings.

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering dropping a 408 in my car. If you have one (any SB stroker), are you satisfied with it? Did you build it yourself, or is it a crate?

I was looking at stroking my 340 to a 416, but the crates are cheaper. I can't do the build myself. I have a mechanic friend that can build it after the machining is done.

The MP crates kinda worry me (mixed reviews).

I'l be using a 727 trans, with a 2800 stall & 4.10 gears. Hoping to get around 425 horses.
Thanks.

Woody I don't have a stroker yet but I'm planning on building one this fall. I too have heard lots of iffy things about MP crate engines. I'm gonna do one myself. If you do it your self you should be able to beat the crate engine price considerably and know for sure what has been done to it. I don't have the figures in front of me but I'm sure it isn't going to go over $2800 for everything in the short block including buying the block (which I did for $100). I haven't seen a crate short block under $3100 lately so it's a few hundred saved although I do have to do the work myself. The one I'm planning is going to have main studs and line honed, decked, and internally balanced. These are things you don't usually see on a crate engine. If the block is reasonably straight they just rebuild it.

BTW: You probably don't need gears that low unless you have really tall tires. I have a 3000 stall in a 727 and 27.1" tires and 4:11's. I'm taking the 4:11's out of my car this week and putting in 3:73's to make it more streetable. The way it is the 360 will smoke the hides with ease so I'm sure with a stroker and 3:73's it be at least the same. With 3:73's at least it won't be spinning 3400 rpm at 60 mph.

Sorry Woody I overlooked where you said you can't do it yourself. That will probably make the cost as much or more than a crate engine but if your mechanic buddy is trustworthy I'd go with somebody I know over an unknown even if the cost is a little more.

425 will be easy but the tq. you will love! around 475 - 490,

Making 500 hp. is when things start to get in the pocket.

I would'nt trust a crate anything..i picked all the components for my 416 and had a very competent machine shop do the machine work and an excellent builder assemble it,results 520 h.p. 500 ft. lbs tq...

I wouldn't ever build anything that wasn't a stroker. I just went 7.89 on 7 cylinders (I didn't have valves adjusted right) of a 408. The guy with a Firebird at work just can't believe how bad he got smoked, on 7 cylinders!8)

I wouldn't ever build anything that wasn't a stroker. I just went 7.89 on 7 cylinders (I didn't have valves adjusted right) of a 408. The guy with a Firebird at work just can't believe how bad he got smoked, on 7 cylinders!8)

Ha-Ha. Gotta love it. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies! It seems everybody who has a stroker is satisfied. You guys are making some great power.

Fishy, yeah, I have a 3.23 gear set in a 741. I needed the 4.10's (have a 489 pig) in the 340 because of the cam. I can always change back, sometimes it does get annoying like you said. Good luck with your build.

7172 Duster, that car is a rocket.

Anyways, machining costs, and just about everything in Canada is expensive. I can get stung ordering from the U.S. too. We end up paying 13% extra taxes on parts if they need to be claimed. I'm thinking it'll run close, or more, to the cost of a crate engine.

So that leads me to a few more questions.

Are you guys using forged, or cast cranks? Can I get away without using a roller cam and rockers & still make power? I have J heads with 2.02 valves, I was hoping to port & polish those to save a few bucks. I only want to do this once. I'm waiting to hear back from a local machine shop on costs using my 340. Thing is, it's running good. It's just the quest for more power..

I have read other stroker threads, just looking to see what works for everybody. I haven't seen too many crate engine results so far. It's looking like the crate engines are not a good idea. BTW, Mancini has them listed, I called, and they said they're no longer available. They said they weren't selling? Hmmm..

I'm also very seriously kicking around the idea of stroking the 340 in my Challenger that is going to need a rebuild anyway.
How much horsepower can a cast crank handle safely?

Im running a 318 / 360 crank = 349 cui .

I wouldnt do it again, there is a real shortage of suitable slugs (now that Sterling have discontinued the low comp cast slug that worked in the combo).

Theres also a lot of machining involved which makes the 318/390 a far smarter financial decision.

I would say that the 349 pulls well and revs out well also - and it produces significantly more torque than the 318 with the same cam.

been pricing 408 rotating assemblys myself. everyone i talk to say the TQ us incredible with a 408 or 416 and in the long run it is gonn cost under $1000 more to build over fixing my 360. thinking of going with the scat balanced assembly with forged pistons. would put me at like 9.7 to 1 compression . talk to quite a few guys running scat stuff and they have all been really happy with their stuff.

been pricing 408 rotating assemblys myself. everyone i talk to say the TQ us incredible with a 408 or 416 and in the long run it is gonn cost under $1000 more to build over fixing my 360. thinking of going with the scat balanced assembly with forged pistons. would put me at like 9.7 to 1 compression . talk to quite a few guys running scat stuff and they have all been really happy with their stuff.

Do it Joe...i've had a perma-smile since i put the 416 in..:-D:-D

Oh man, he's going to have to live that one down.lol.

Cast is good up to 500 hp at 7000 rpm.

I went with a forged scat crank with scat I beams and 11.7-1 forged kb pistons. I had it balanced and shipped to my door with rings and bearings for a hair over $1700 and its good up to 750 hp.

I have been looking at the Scat rotating assemblies also. I have noticed the forged crank is 4 pound heavier then the cast crank. I am leaning towards the cast due to lighter weight and lower cost since I am not planning to make over 500 hp. I like the idea of a lighter crank for quicker revs.

I have also heard a few people here and on other boards getting the Scat rotating assembly part number and then calling Summit, who can get any Scat product, and then order through Summit to get the lowest price.

Cast is good up to 500 hp at 7000 rpm.

I went with a forged scat crank with scat I beams and 11.7-1 forged kb pistons. I had it balanced and shipped to my door with rings and bearings for a hair over $1700 and its good up to 750 hp.

Who did you order it from and how well did the clearance check out?

Who did you order it from and how well did the clearance check out?

I got it from rpmmachine.com and buy clearance im guessing the clearance of the rod and bottom of the cylinder if so it clears fine so no notching is required. I didnt mention that mine is a 408. And as for heads im going to run hughes ported eddy heads.

I got it from rpmmachine.com and buy clearance im guessing the clearance of the rod and bottom of the cylinder if so it clears fine so no notching is required. I didnt mention that mine is a 408. And as for heads im going to run hughes ported eddy heads.

Thanks for the reply. How did the crank and rod bearing clearances check out?

Has any body ran a 416 an a 392? Is there a noticable differance? How about a 408? I am running a 392 an am allowed up to 412 in my class. Looking at possibly a 408 just wondering how much I would gain?

-
Back