Small block strokers. Your findings.

-
Magnum heads will work but the Mopar RT heads are a lot better.
I built a magnum 408 stroker and was worried about the flow of the Stock heads so would up getting a set of rt heads ported and polished.
I put it in a dakota.

Please share your results.

416 here W2's ported by RyanJ @ Shady Dell. Car weighs 3500 w/driver liscensed, tagged and insured. Full interior runs 11:0's @ 120 mph. I love mine. Will never build another stock stroke motor. Jim

lol.. i am definatley doing it.. also did some digging and found out that my block is a roller block so i'm gonna do a roller cam too.

lol.. i am definatley doing it.. also did some digging and found out that my block is a roller block so i'm gonna do a roller cam too.

abodyjoe, can you let me know what is meant by a roller block? Following is a picture of a Resto-block the machist tried to put a roller into.... clearly NOT a roller block!!

Kory

100_0877 (Small).jpg

see the threaded bosses above the cam on my block? that means it was originally a roller motor. its a 87 or 89 block i forget wich but anything after 84 i think was a roller motor.

here is the reply i got over at mopar tech.

the thread. http://www.mopartech.net/showthread.php?t=4920

That IS a roller block that was converted to a flat atppet. You are going to get off cheap on this one. Get a Spider(1984 on up), collars for the lifters and a set of STOCK lifters for any 1984 on up 318/360.

If you had to use the retro fit lifters, they are $550!!!!!!!!!!!

gonna goto the dealer and price the spider,collars and lifters today.

pictures004.jpg

see the threaded bosses above the cam on my block? that means it was originally a roller motor. its a 87 or 89 block i forget wich but anything after 84 i think was a roller motor.

here is the reply i got over at mopar tech.

the thread. http://www.mopartech.net/showthread.php?t=4920

gonna goto the dealer and price the spider,collars and lifters today.

pictures004.jpg

abodyjoe,

ok - got it. I misread.. thought you were talking 340. I tried to go that route with a 340 a while back... got the collars etc from Hughes for reasonable money. May want to look there ....

Kory

i am in the process of putting a 340-416 together , i used diamond dished pistons , 4340 k1 crank and rods , 252-260 at 50 comp cam , i bought a set of 360-1 heads from shady dell with there stage one porting (308 at 650 lift), t d rockers (1.7 intake ,1.6 exhaust) 850 double pump and 360-3r intake. it has really went together good so far with just a little grinding in the bottom of the cylinders .

i might have went over board on parts but i was wanting a good reliable engine , that ran strong. i would also like to add that i think you might be able to build a base 408-416 for 3 thousand but with the kit i got balanced (with mallory), rod bearing clearenced , rings , bearings , arp 2000 rod bolts .
i dont see 3000 going very far in my build.

Joe, did you go with cast or forged crank? I think the cast is pretty strong and it does weigh 4 pounds lighter then the forged so you'll get quicker revs. Just wondering which route you went and why.

I have been looking at the Scat rotating assemblies also. I have noticed the forged crank is 4 pound heavier then the cast crank. I am leaning towards the cast due to lighter weight and lower cost since I am not planning to make over 500 hp. I like the idea of a lighter crank for quicker revs.

I have also heard a few people here and on other boards getting the Scat rotating assembly part number and then calling Summit, who can get any Scat product, and then order through Summit to get the lowest price.

just ordered my scat kit today from summit... got the cast crank and forged pistons. 408 kit. in may the kits are going up about $110.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=35232

i went cast because i'm not gonna be putting out 500hp. and i will only turn the motor 5500 rpm max. no need for a forged crank for my intended use.

here is my build up.
its a magnum block bored .30 over with kb forged pistons 10:1 comp, eagle H beam rods, Mopar 4" cast crank, comp cams .528/.536 cam on a 114 cl (computer controlled), mopar 1.92 ported and polished RT heads, Mopar 4bbl intake, fastman 52x55 billet throttle body, 24 lbs fuel injectors, harland sharp 1.6 non adjustable roller rockers, mopar reprogrammed computer, 2400 mopar stall converter. 150 hp nitrous first stage (have a 100 hp second stage if I want to use it.), Full return fuel system.All this and some suspension tweaks will put my dakota RT club cab somewhere in the mid 11's on one stage

here is my build up.
its a magnum block bored .30 over with kb forged pistons 10:1 comp, eagle H beam rods, Mopar 4" cast crank, comp cams .528/.536 cam on a 114 cl (computer controlled), mopar 1.92 ported and polished RT heads, Mopar 4bbl intake, fastman 52x55 billet throttle body, 24 lbs fuel injectors, harland sharp 1.6 non adjustable roller rockers, mopar reprogrammed computer, 2400 mopar stall converter. 150 hp nitrous first stage (have a 100 hp second stage if I want to use it.), Full return fuel system.All this and some suspension tweaks will put my dakota RT club cab somewhere in the mid 11's on one stage

Nice. A little different than what I'm used to seeing. Got any pics of that setup?

Mike

i went cast because i'm not gonna be putting out 500hp. and i will only turn the motor 5500 rpm max. no need for a forged crank for my intended use.

You'll be fine with the cast crank,mine is putting out 520+,and i've taken it to 7000 rpms several times:cheers:

I can`t speak for small blocks, but with my big blocks I started with a 383 with a 3.375 stroke ,then I went to a 3.75. When I went to the 440, I bumped up to the 4.15. While the long strokers don`t rev like the short strokers, the "plant you in the seat" these engines produce once you get the gears wound up is unbelievable! I love my 440-496 stroker! You know what they say, there`s no replacement for displacement.

I can`t speak for small blocks, but with my big blocks I started with a 383 with a 3.375 stroke ,then I went to a 3.75. When I went to the 440, I bumped up to the 4.15. While the long strokers don`t rev like the short strokers, the "plant you in the seat" these engines produce once you get the gears wound up is unbelievable! I love my 440-496 stroker! You know what they say, there`s no replacement for displacement.

I was looking at a Cuda with a built 440 in it. When the guy nailed it, it scared the sh*t out of me..lol. I got planted. So, I know what you're saying.

Too bad the car had so much bondo in it. I passed it up.

Okay, I finally heard back from another machine shop.

He can build me a 365 c.u. Magnum engine (not stroker) with a roller cam, estimated at 410 h.p. He's quoting me $4,500. So this build is similar to an MP magnum crate engine.

I wanted a stroker, but this seems to be okay. He will also warranty it.

Any thoughts?

He can build me a 365 c.u. Magnum engine (not stroker) with a roller cam, estimated at 410 h.p. He's quoting me $4,500. So this build is similar to an MP magnum crate engine.

Any thoughts?

If the builder is offering a warranty ,then he must have confidence in his work. With crate engines around 5K, it sounds like a fair deal to me.

If the builder is offering a warranty ,then he must have confidence in his work. With crate engines around 5K, it sounds like a fair deal to me.

It is a good price here in Canada, BUT still not the stroker I wanted. Will I be happy with it? Ughhh.

Man, I hate decisions when so much money is involved.

If you really want the big cubes then you probably won`t be satisfied until that`s what you get. The peace of mind that a warranty offers sounds like music to me though. Lol! Another option would be to get with someone you know who is adept at building engines and invest that $4500.00 into your own stroker engine, built the way you want it.

Someone mentioned a company that is building various versions of small and big block strokers (long blocks and short blocks). They are supposed to be selling them through Summit as well. Their name escapes me but I believe they offer a 2 or 3 year warranty. Perhaps someone here can refresh my memory.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good deal to me.

-
Back