Small block strokers. Your findings.

-
Hughes Engines has a 416 stroker kit that includes an Eagle 4" cast crank, Eagle I beam rods and KB Hypereutectic pistons for $918.00. Don't know if that is balanced or not but if it isn't figure another $200. Unless you plain to go with aftermarket heads there is no reason that you could put together a strong stroker motor for under $3k with this kit

I'm also very seriously kicking around the idea of stroking the 340 in my Challenger that is going to need a rebuild anyway.
How much horsepower can a cast crank handle safely?

I just picked up the latest issue of the Engine Masters Challenge where they detailed a 408 build. They used a Magnum 360 block and heads and a cast crank. Their goal was a 6000 RPM street motor. The result was 554 HP.

Hughes Engines has a 416 stroker kit that includes an Eagle 4" cast crank, Eagle I beam rods and KB Hypereutectic pistons for $918.00. Don't know if that is balanced or not but if it isn't figure another $200. Unless you plain to go with aftermarket heads there is no reason that you could put together a strong stroker motor for under $3k with this kit

Thanks bro.

Unless you plain to go with aftermarket heads there is no reason that you could put together a strong stroker motor for under $3k
..strong running stroker for under 3k,,i'd like to see that!!!

..strong running stroker for under 3k,,i'd like to see that!!!

Well Woody already has a running 340 to start from;

$918 The Hughes stroker kit
$200 Gaskets, Bearings, oil pump
$200 timing set and miscellaneous bits
$175 cam and lifter package
$600 block machine work
$500 head machine work

$2593 Total = Strong Running Stroker with budget to spare for over looked items.

i dont kno where you got the 600 for block machine work my last bill was 1300

i dont kno where you got the 600 for block machine work my last bill was 1300

I paid $1300 for my block to be cleaned, sonic checked, decked, bored, mains checked, cam bearings installed, painted, crank turned & polished and the rotating assembly balanced. That was by a highly respected race oriented machine shop in my area. In this case there is no crank work or balancing.

The $600 may be a little low but the $500 for a valve job maybe a little high and the $200 for gaskets, bearings and an oil pump is likely a little high too, but the point was that I had stated perviously that you should be able to build a stroker motor for less than $3k when you are starting with a running motor. I still think that is a realistic goal. You can certainly spend tons more but if you are looking for a stong street motor you don't need to and what I describe is pretty equivalent to the MP 402 stoker crate motor in regards to the parts supplied.

Well Woody already has a running 340 to start from;

$918 The Hughes stroker kit
$200 Gaskets, Bearings, oil pump
$200 timing set and miscellaneous bits
$175 cam and lifter package
$600 block machine work
$500 head machine work

$2593 Total = Strong Running Stroker with budget to spare for over looked items.

Strong runner for $2600.00....what do you consider strong 13's...

Strong runner for $2600.00....what do you consider strong 13's...

Woody's goal is around 425 HP which that motor I described should meet easily. With a sorted out chassis it will get you deep into the 12's.

For a street car, yes 13's is a strong runner, certainly not the fastest street car around but faster than ~90% of all the cars on the road.

I paid $1300 for my block to be cleaned, sonic checked, decked, bored, mains checked, cam bearings installed, painted, crank turned & polished and the rotating assembly balanced. That was by a highly respected race oriented machine shop in my area. In this case there is no crank work or balance.

I had all the above done on my 340, at the shop my mechanic uses,plus the heads cleaned up,with hardened seats,new pistons,and rebuild kit. A little over $1200. I'm sure I got a deal,as this was his cost.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't intend to start any debates though.

I was looking to see what is working for everyone, and their expertise.

Here's what I'm up against. I priced a crate engine at Mancinis, it is 6200$ (but not available). The same crate engine in Canada is priced at 9500$. Crazy sh*t. Everything is so expensive here.

I need to order the engine parts from the U.S. so everything needs 13% tax added to it. So I'm thinking I will pay at least one third more than you guys did for this rebuild.

My heads, ported & polished (flow tested) is quoted at 1,000$. Thats the cheapest locally. I'm actually getting pissed off because none of the local shops seem worthy of dealing with. Chrysler engines are not their thing. The one I called today says he has built them, but couldn't give a ballpark figure yet, and no warranty at all.

Thanks for the infor Thrashard340, I was wondering how the magnum heads would work on a stroker. I may have to go pick up the new issue.
Magnum heads will work but the Mopar RT heads are a lot better.
I built a magnum 408 stroker and was worried about the flow of the Stock heads so would up getting a set of rt heads ported and polished.
I put it in a dakota.

Here's what I'm up against. I priced a crate engine at Mancinis, it is 6200$ (but not available). The same crate engine in Canada is priced at 9500$. Crazy sh*t. Everything is so expensive here.

I need to order the engine parts from the U.S. so everything needs 13% tax added to it. So I'm thinking I will pay at least one third more than you guys did for this rebuild.

My heads, ported & polished (flow tested) is quoted at 1,000$. Thats the cheapest locally. I'm actually getting pissed off because none of the local shops seem worthy of dealing with. Chrysler engines are not their thing. The one I called today says he has built them, but couldn't give a ballpark figure yet, and no warranty at all.

that pricing is not bad if thats for the components. My lower half was close to 4k and then my heads were another 1800. That was not a complete package either.
Rob

What about some ported Engine Quest heads? I hear they are like the magnum heads but a thicker casting.

I know a few guys that are running them in dakotas, They are a not prone to cracking like the mag heads and I think they can be had for like 350 per head or something low like that.

Woody is that 1000.00 for steel heads,you can get a set of Edelbrocks for 1400.00,add in a mild port job ..and having used aluminum heads just the weight savings alone plus the performance,i know i'll never play with steel heads again..my stroker kit was 1600.00,i've got 2100.00 in the heads alone,plus intake,carburetor ect..if you want to go fast it adds up fast!!! but well worth the money i've spent...

Woody is that 1000.00 for steel heads,you can get a set of Edelbrocks for 1400.00,add in a mild port job ..and having used aluminum heads just the weight savings alone plus the performance,i know i'll never play with steel heads again..my stroker kit was 1600.00,i've got 2100.00 in the heads alone,plus intake,carburetor ect..if you want to go fast it adds up fast!!! but well worth the money i've spent...

Yep, the J heads that already have the 2.02 intake valves. I rather have the eddy heads too.

Here are a couple stroker combo's built from a local engine builder with a great reputation from our Mopar club members.
He has tons of street-strip and full race motors still going strong.

I will not leave his name and # so this won't be considered a for sale ad.

I really wanted to trade my dart for one of his motors but he did not like that idea.

Hope this helps.

408 c.i. stroker small block street engine. Run like a 440 six pack without the weight or hassle.
1974 thick wall 360 +.030 with Eagle 4 inch cast stroker crank, MP rods with ARP bolts and KB
Hyper pistons, ported Edelbrock alum heads, 9.8 compression, Stainless Steel bushed 1.6
roller rockers and 231/237 duration @ .050 560/560 lift Comp hyd cam, Edelbrock RPM air gap
intake, Alum Fabricated valve covers, Braided steel fuel lines, Milodon 7 qt pan, 750 Holley.
Complete from carb to oil pan, water pump, fuel pump and proper flexplate, dist and wires.
Balanced & Blueprinted. 439 HP @ 5500 RPM and 482 LB FT Torque @ 4000 RPM at the
flywheel with no accessories. Will require 2500 stall and at least 2.94 gear and small notch in K
frame lip. Only run on test stand to break in cam and tune. Torque monster with great street
manners. Sould run Low Low 12’s or high 11’s in a decent A body with 3.23 gears and 8” slicks
$5950 firm.

‘78 360 .030 over pro street or bracket race engine. 11.5 to 1 MP forged pistons, Comp
260/260 duration @ .050 .555/.555 lift solid cam, comp timing set, MP cast crank, MP rods with
ARP bolts. Fully ported J style heads with 2.055/1.60 11/32 SS valves flows 261/175 CFM ,
chrome moly retainers and correct springs. MP valve covers, Harland Sharp Alum 1.5 roller
rockers. Holley strip dominator intake. 6 qt Kevko race pan fits standard K frame. Modified 800
Holley DP. 460 HP @ 6500 RPM and 442 LB FT Torque @ 5000 RPM at the flywheel with no
accessories. Will require 3000 stall or 4 speed and at least 3.55 gear. If street driven timing
should be limited to 30 degrees total unless race gas is used. Should run mid to low 11’s in
3000 lb A body with 3.91 gears and 10.5 slick Complete from carb to oil pan. Balanced &
Blueprinted. Complete from carb to oil pan, water pump and proper flexplate, dist and wires
$4500 firm.

410 cubic inch stroker short block. 1973 thick wall 360 +.040 with Eagle 4 inch cast stroker
crank, MP rods with ARP bolts and KB Hyper pistons internal balanced and blueprinted $2000

that pricing is not bad if thats for the components. My lower half was close to 4k and then my heads were another 1800. That was not a complete package either.
Rob

The heads are in good shape, not too many miles, as the PO had them done. So, freshening, port & polish.

Thanks Spaz, nice to see some finished prices. running on pump gas is a must too. We're paying over $4.50 a gallon here.

-
Back