Small block strokers. Your findings.

-
Don't be put off about the resto blocks not accepting rollers. I have the very same block. With a little guidance from Ryan J., and time, I did mine. Just take the grinding slowly. Do no more than it takes to drop the rollers in, and use the proper lifters.
clearance002.jpg

clearance001.jpg

Okay, I finally heard back from another machine shop.

He can build me a 365 c.u. Magnum engine (not stroker) with a roller cam, estimated at 410 h.p. He's quoting me $4,500. So this build is similar to an MP magnum crate engine.

I wanted a stroker, but this seems to be okay. He will also warranty it.

Any thoughts?

Is that $4500.00 for a complete motor??

Don't be put off about the resto blocks not accepting rollers. I have the very same block. With a little guidance from Ryan J., and time, I did mine. Just take the grinding slowly. Do no more than it takes to drop the rollers in, and use the proper lifters.

ianweiler,

Thanks for the note. Whose rollers did you use?

I gave up and tried Shubeck ceramics .... which ultimately destroyed the cam and ANOTHER block!!!

I gave in and went to solids.. I am happy but really wish I could have run a roller.

Only benefit was the last resto-block I got was siamesed.

Kory

Woody has this guy been doing them for awhile and do you think he will be in business 2-3 yrs. from now? The reason I ask is a warranty is only as long as the business is in operation. Just ask a member here on the board that goes by Wildcat. He had a guy that was supposed to be a real good mechanic rebuild his 340 and the guy gave him I believe a 3 yr. warranty. Larry got the engine in and had problems immediately and tried to go back to get it warrantied but the guy had went bankrupt. So much for the warranty.

GTXperience is probably thinking of Blueprint Engines. A stroker with Magnum heads and rpm intake, and a nice streetable cam that makes 375 hp and 460 ft. lbs of torque. Complete except for dist. and carb. for $3599.00 Their listed in the Summit catalog.

Woody has this guy been doing them for awhile and do you think he will be in business 2-3 yrs. from now? The reason I ask is a warranty is only as long as the business is in operation. Just ask a member here on the board that goes by Wildcat. He had a guy that was supposed to be a real good mechanic rebuild his 340 and the guy gave him I believe a 3 yr. warranty. Larry got the engine in and had problems immediately and tried to go back to get it warrantied but the guy had went bankrupt. So much for the warranty.

GTXperience is probably thinking of Blueprint Engines. A stroker with Magnum heads and rpm intake, and a nice streetable cam that makes 375 hp and 460 ft. lbs of torque. Complete except for dist. and carb. for $3599.00 Their listed in the Summit catalog.

Sorry to hear about Larry's problem. Stuff like that happens way too often.

Not sure about this guy either. He has not been around a long time, at least not as a business. He does want to make a sale, but you never know what you're getting unless you build it, or watch the build with components you chose..

The Blueprint Engine is considered a "crate" engine. Most comments say stay clear of crate engines. Has anybody bought one of these Blueprint engines, or know somebody that has? I've read they (Blueprint) are the performance division of a large engine rebuild company that has been in business a long time.

My mechanic friend likes the Blueprint motor idea better. I passed the idea by him today. He says I probably won't be satisfied if I don't get a stroker.

So on it goes...

I'll just sit tight for a bit, and listen about everyone's experiences & builds. I've learned a lot about strokers from all of you. Thanks.

Well you've got a choice to make,365 or 408 stroker,being as i already have a 416 stroker,and know what they're like the answer is easy for me ..STROKER!!!

ianweiler,

Thanks for the note. Whose rollers did you use?

I gave up and tried Shubeck ceramics .... which ultimately destroyed the cam and ANOTHER block!!!

I gave in and went to solids.. I am happy but really wish I could have run a roller.

Only benefit was the last resto-block I got was siamesed.

Kory

That is a big benefit!
The lifters are Crane pieces with the 'butterfly' tie bars. The bars are located approx. .300" higher than other brands.

Okay, I just HAD to have a stroker!

I placed an order through Summit for a Blueprint crate engine. I'm scared because it's a "crate". Here's the info on it, the picture is not the actual motor.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MLL-BPC4081CT&autoview=sku

So now I've done it. It looks like I'll be the guinea pig.

The engine will be ready/available in early May. I could not have it built with the same parts here in Canada, for that price.

I'm gonna take the 6 pack setup off the 340, & put in on the stroker. I might need the 340 just in case I get burned..lol.

Now, do I leave the 4.10's (489 case) in, or go back to the 3.23's in the 741 case?

With a stroker your not going to need as much gear or converter.But it also depends on your final use.

Unless your racing all the time or have overdrive,stay away from the 4:10.

Crate motor....i hope the best for ya'....gears all depends on what your doing with the car if its a street car 3.55's-3.91's,street/strip car like my duster i'm taking the 3.91's out tomorrow and replacing them with 4.30's...

Thanks guys. It'll be a street car. It won't be going over 50mph very often, unless I get the racing bug. I've alway wanted to try racing, never got around to it.

If it's mostly a street car I'd go taller on the gear. Unless your running soft tires with 4:10's most of that torque will just go up in smoke. I just have a 360 in my Cuda and had 4:10's in it and with a 27" tire it was screamin anything above 60 and I couldn't get it out of the hole real good with regular street tires even with new hd springs, shocks, and a pinion snubber. I just rebuilt a 742 and installed 3:73 gears cause I mostly street drive. Another positive is with the taller gear you'll be saving alot of gas and that means you can cruise alot more.:cheers:

Now if you really want to get radical keep the 4:10's, mini tub it and put some 29 or 30" tires under it. Cool looks and traction to make use of that torque.:burnout:

Let us know how that crate motor works out too. That's one of the few companies I've heard much good about when it comes to crate engines.

If it's mostly a street car I'd go taller on the gear. Unless your running soft tires with 4:10's most of that torque will just go up in smoke.

I can attest to that!

408 stoker, big roller cam, 10:1 comp, 3000 stall and 4:10 8.25 sure grip rear gear. 275-50 17's Nitto 450's on rear of my 73 Duster. I can only launch at 3000 with foot brake, and feed in the throttle gradually - it will light them up otherwise! If I change gears in the future, it will be 3.55's or a 3.23 for me!

FWIW, mine is a factory roller 360 out of a 89 dodge truck. These can be had relatively cheap, and can 0.030 easy, and have a hydraulic roller cam block, with all parts.

DSCF3476.JPG

DSCF3007.JPG

Here's the stroker we chose:

(Ordered it direct from the source, 1-week delivery.)

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=53

(Will port heads & intake prior to install.)

Can't beat your very own dyno-sheet, warranty, & no "break-in" needed.

These engines are direct from a multi-million dollar shop. SUMMIT & Jegs wouldn't be selling someone's product without investigating them AND their product quality extremely thoroughly.

And..........IT CAME IN A CRATE!! -----------8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Seems some folks have gotten some definitions and/or opinions and perceptions all mired and twisted via inaccurate terminology.

"CRATE" ENGINE: Any engine (new, reman., stroker, etcetera) that is boxed or crated up for shipping inside a container (wood, plastic,etc). That's an example of extreme non-specificity by which to become inanely prejudiced towards so-called "crate motors" (Is it the "crate" they arrive in that makes ALL crate motors bad?)

If Ray Barton builds me a motor & ships it in a "crate", should I keep it?
Or did its shipping container put a "crate-motor" curse on it & its buyer?
----------------------------------------------------------------
FWIW:

The primary originating source for bad opinions re: the topic of so-called "crate" engines in general seems to have emanated from the unfortunate few who bought one of the flawed quality control & problematic MOPAR/Chrysler "crate" motors.

Hope this helps!!--------------8)

FWIW, mine is a factory roller 360 out of a 89 dodge truck. These can be had relatively cheap, and can 0.030 easy, and have a hydraulic roller cam block, with all parts.

i'm doing a 408 with a roller block also.. did you use stock roller lifters? what push rods did you use? anything else i need to know?

i'm doing a 408 with a roller block also.. did you use stock roller lifters? what push rods did you use? anything else i need to know?

I used an extreme energy can from Comp, with Mopar (stock) replacement roller lifters from Hughes engines. Since I went with adjustable rockers, I had to get custom pushrods. Since my heads came with them, I used them. I'm not sure if the factory rockers would work with a .544 lift, but they would be easier to deal with, that is, no adjusting.

I am building a stroker using a '71 340 block. .020" over for 414 CI. Ordered the Scat kit, cast crank, forged KB745 step dish pistons. Block is getting machined when the kit arrives. Planning to run closed chamber Edelbrocks with Stage 1 porting from Shady Dell Speed. Will be 10:1 compression. RPM Air Gap and an Eddie 800 AVS carb on top. TTI step headers into my current TTI 2 1/2" exhaust. 3:91 gears with 2500 stall.

I am thinking of running the Lunati Voodoo flat tappet cam, 60403:

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276, Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234, Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513, LSA/ICL: 110/106

Looking for the broadest torque curve under 6,000 rpm with good street manners on pump gas. I hear this cam is pretty good on the street but I probably could go a little bigger?

Here's the stroker we chose:

(Ordered it direct from the source, 1-week delivery.)

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=53

(Will port heads & intake prior to install.)

Can't beat your very own dyno-sheet, warranty, & no "break-in" needed.

These engines are direct from a multi-million dollar shop. SUMMIT & Jegs wouldn't be selling someone's product without investigating them AND their product quality extremely thoroughly.

And..........IT CAME IN A CRATE!! -----------8)

That's the same one I ordered Jack.

That 426 looks awesome too.

I have the MP crate 402 magnum and I love it. runs awesome and plenty of torque.

Well, the old 340 is out. The 408 is not ready to run yet.

I expected the swap to be 2 days at the most..WRONG! Here are some of the delays & problems we encountered. I'm going broke...

1. Plugs for the Eddie heads were special order in Canada = 1 week (got charged about 5$ a piece).
2. Crank pully did not fit ( the 340 was internal balanced)
3. My sixpack intake did not sit correctly (had it shaved)
4. New 360 torque converter is required (340 was neutral balance) decided not to add weights to it.
5. Carbs need rejetting (too lean) center carb will be rebuilt
6. Carb kits are special order
7. Needed a mechanical fuel pump that would clear the bottom rad hose.
8. New water pump ordered twice (first one looked like it belonged on a Fiat).

I debated about keeping the RPM Airgap intake on. The cost of an 825 CFM carb helped with that choice $$$$.

Hopefully we can retune the sixpack.

I expect it will be done this week (barring more unforseen complications). My mechanic says he will be charging storage fees..lol

-
Back